Jackson Premiere for lightweight skater? | Golden Skate

Jackson Premiere for lightweight skater?

laap1147

Spectator
So I've been considering buying Jackson Premieres down the line but I'm not sure if they'll be too stiff for me. I'm 5'2 and weigh 85lbs and I'm taking adult beginner classes (so I won't be upgrading for a while) but I will be buying my own skates eventually so I wanted to get an idea of how much I should save before I hit that point. I've known skaters who could get away with using Ice Flys or Premieres while still working single jumps but I'm a lot lighter and smaller than them and this is a really big investment so I'd hate to overboot and waste a ton of money or get hurt. My original plan was to wait until I at least have my lutz before looking into buying them but I was wondering if I should wait until I'm working axels or doubles before trying Premieres. Should I just ditch the idea of Premieres and look into some softer boots? Does anyone have boot recommendations for me? (I've been recommended Edeas before but I'm nervous about the softer tongue and ankle support so I'd really like to stick to Jacksons if I can) Thanks in advance!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
... and I'm taking adult beginner classes (so I won't be upgrading for a while) but I will be buying my own skates eventually so I wanted to get an idea of how much I should save before I hit that point. ... My original plan was to wait until I at least have my lutz before looking into buying them but I was wondering if I should wait until I'm working axels or doubles before trying Premieres. ...
Just to clarify: Does this mean you're currently skating on rentals, and your plan is to wait until you get at least your lutz before you buy your first pair of skates (whether they're Premieres or something else)?

laap1147

Spectator
Just to clarify: Does this mean you're currently skating on rentals, and your plan is to wait until you get at least your lutz before you buy your first pair of skates (whether they're Premieres or something else)?
I'm currently using Jackson Mystiques

Elenea

Rinkside
I still don't get from your post what your current level is.
What have you already learned (Waltz? Salchow? Toeloop? Loop? Flip?) and what spins (sit spin?, camel spin? backspin?)

To be honest, I would not attempt anything of these in Jackson Mystique. They are way too soft for this even with your weight.

Depending on your level and if Jackson is the right choice for you, you could do well with either Jackson Freestyle or Debut. If you are already working on Flip and Lutz you could consider the Premiere.

Jackson Freestyles come premounted with Aspire blades, I would not recommend them beyond learning Waltz Jumps and first spins.

Debuts and Premiere come as boots only, so you would have to buy a blade seperatly. Coronation Ace or MK Professionals (normal not the light ones) would be good for you.

First of all you need a good fitting to find out which boot manufactor will work best for you and to determine the right size.

laap1147

Spectator
So sorry for the confusion! I'm a super beginner working on two-foot into one foot spins and waltz jump drills, not the actual jump. I intend on the Premieres being probably my third pair of skates and I do plan on going to get them fitted, I just want to get a rough idea of what to save for in the future.

So, to clarify, I was wondering if Premieres would be too stiff to use while working on my lutz, or if I should wait until I'm working axels and doubles.

Thank you for your patience and advice :)

Elenea

Rinkside
Even for two foot spins and waltz jumps you shouldn't stay in the Mystiques.
I would move up to the Freestyle or Debut as soon as you can get a good fitting.
I have worn Premieres after I started learning loop jumps. My Freestyles were falling apart and the fitter recommended them, since the Debuts wouldn't have been much stiffer. I was a bit taller (5'7) and heavier (100 lbs) though. They felt like bricks for the first weeks but afterwards I was very happy with them.

laap1147

Spectator
Thank you so much for your help. I will definitely begin looking into my next pair of skates, as my Mystiques are starting to wear down.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I disagree. Y'all, she says she weighs *85* pounds, not 185 pounds, she matches the default recommendations of the bootmakers. Premieres will absolutely kill her unless she has unusually strong knee bends. At that weight she shouldn't be in Premieres until she's doing doubles. She's doing basic skills right now and Mystiques are fine for that.

When you start jumping waltz jumps, look at Jackson Flex or Entre boots, which are a stiffness of 40. Those will be good for your single jumps. They are boots only, so you will need to buy the blades separately and beginning jumps is a good time to get used to better blades (the Mystique blade is extremely basic). Look at MK Professional or Coronation Ace blades.

laap1147

Spectator
Thank you for your perspective. This was my exact fear when it came to Premieres as it would be a huge waste of money and an unnecessary risk to overboot. I appreciate the lower level suggestions as well.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
I disagree. Y'all, she says she weighs *85* pounds, not 185 pounds, she matches the default recommendations of the bootmakers. Premieres will absolutely kill her unless she has unusually strong knee bends. At that weight she shouldn't be in Premieres until she's doing doubles. She's doing basic skills right now and Mystiques are fine for that.

When you start jumping waltz jumps, look at Jackson Flex or Entre boots, which are a stiffness of 40. Those will be good for your single jumps. They are boots only, so you will need to buy the blades separately and beginning jumps is a good time to get used to better blades (the Mystique blade is extremely basic). Look at MK Professional or Coronation Ace blades.
I agree. I’m 115-120lbs and breaking in the Premieres we’re not easy coming from Artistes. They are fine now - currently working on lutz but I certainly wouldn’t recommended them for a beginner.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I agree. I’m 115-120lbs and breaking in the Premieres we’re not easy coming from Artistes. They are fine now - currently working on lutz but I certainly wouldn’t recommended them for a beginner.
In fact, according to the Jackson fit guide, she might not even need Premieres at the doubles level - even Debut might still be enough for her.

Elenea

Rinkside
Yes, for now Premieres are way too stiff. Im merely stated that OP might buy them if she was already working on Lutz jumps like right now (which she does not as cleary stated in a later post).
Depending on the country where you live, you might not have the possibility to buy Entre or Flex boots. If so, you can still buy the Freestyle set and Coronation Aces or MK Pros seperatly and let the shop switch them.

Jane17

Rinkside
So I've been considering buying Jackson Premieres down the line but I'm not sure if they'll be too stiff for me. I'm 5'2 and weigh 85lbs and I'm taking adult beginner classes (so I won't be upgrading for a while) but I will be buying my own skates eventually so I wanted to get an idea of how much I should save before I hit that point. I've known skaters who could get away with using Ice Flys or Premieres while still working single jumps but I'm a lot lighter and smaller than them and this is a really big investment so I'd hate to overboot and waste a ton of money or get hurt. My original plan was to wait until I at least have my lutz before looking into buying them but I was wondering if I should wait until I'm working axels or doubles before trying Premieres. Should I just ditch the idea of Premieres and look into some softer boots? Does anyone have boot recommendations for me? (I've been recommended Edeas before but I'm nervous about the softer tongue and ankle support so I'd really like to stick to Jacksons if I can) Thanks in advance!
Hi, I have Jackson Debut and they are quite stiff and Premiere will be even stiffer. I would recommend you Freestyle (but they have Aspire XP) or Debut, with Premiere you will be overbooted. Debuts you can have even for doubles ;-)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Keep in mind that by the time you get to that level, you might have built a fair bit of muscle from skating and might weigh a bit more. Skating takes a lot of strength and for pretty much everyone who starts skating, their body will change. I'd really just wait until you feel you are no long properly supported for getting your third pair and consider what to get then.