Knierim and Frazier hit with lawsuit for use of song | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Knierim and Frazier hit with lawsuit for use of song

gold12345

Medalist
One use that makes me very suspicious is Sasha's use of Cruella-could be that Russia has a special deal I'm not aware of-but Disney is notorious for denying use of the music they own, and just paying the yearly fee to ASCAP/BMI won't get the music released for use. You have to jump through many hoops to use anything Disney owns, especially anything brand new. It isn't just Disney-there are some bands that are notorious as well-Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin-and yes, Prince. Often as far as figure skaters, I believe that some artists (at least those who actually still own their music) let it slide. Some more obscure artists probably see the exposure as a benefit. NBC would pay a huge ,fee for music broadcast rights, but the music selection still has to be cleared, and I think there are many figure skaters do not know they have to get their music cleared-which is more than a club or organization just paying the yearly fee to ASCAP or BMI.

Are you saying Trusova should call up Disney and ask if she can skate to Cruella, I don't get it. And if Disney does actually need to be contacted, other people would be handling it and not the skater. Should Wakaba have called Beyonce? I don't get it.

"Also luckily for figure skaters, they’re pretty far removed from both the paperwork and the payment."

Yeah this sounds like NBC's problem, if there even is a problem. I don't trust these brothers and their lawyer father. The skaters aren't involved in this process, and it's a shame K/F were dragged into this. Hopefully they have people assuring them that everything's going to be fine, and I hope they don't lose a penny because of this. And hopefully it's not too much of an inconvenience and they'll be able to use the music at Worlds, although they'll probably be glad to get a new SP after this.

This lawsuit was filed immediately before they skated their Olympic programs. They did a great job maintaining their focus and not letting it take away from their highly enjoyable and successful Olympics.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Meanwhile, it looks like NBC/Peacock has removed the entire figure skating season of events (including individual Olympic figure skating replays, U.S. Nationals, GP events, and 2021 Worlds) from their site, with no explanation!

The only figure skating I could find available is under Olympics primetime coverage replays. I don't even see the Gala event any longer, and I didn't have a chance to view it yet! Plus, what happened to the extensive coverage of the past couple of seasons?!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meanwhile, it looks like NBC/Peacock has removed the entire figure skating season of events (including individual Olympic figure skating replays, U.S. Nationals, GP events, and 2021 Worlds) from their site, with no explanation!

The only figure skating I could find available is under Olympics primetime coverage replays. I don't even see the Gala event any longer, and I didn't have a chance to view it yet! Plus, what happened to the extensive coverage of the past couple of seasons?!
What the heck.......?!

Weathergal

Medalist

On Peacock I remember seeing a link to watch the Olympics Gala live, but I don't know if it was ever archived. But you can watch it using this link although you might have to use a VPN:

taikwan

On the Ice
On Peacock I remember seeing a link to watch the Olympics Gala live, but I don't know if it was ever archived. But you can watch it using this link although you might have to use a VPN:

"Video unavailable" :(

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
On Peacock I remember seeing a link to watch the Olympics Gala live, but I don't know if it was ever archived.
The gala was archived for replay. I saw that, but I didn't have time to watch and wrongly expected I'd be able to watch later on demand. :(

I'm beginning to wonder whether NBC decided to remove everything while the weird suit against them is taking place, except for the Olympics primetime coverage (which supposedly includes some figure skating). It's definitely strange to see no figure skating icon selection available any longer under Sports. It's always been there previously. Even doing a search for past content, such as Skate America, comes up with no results. I wonder whether NBC isn't sure whether the music rights they pay for covers replays on demand.

This needs to get resolved soon. And at the very least, NBC/ Peacock should be communicating with their subscribers, especially those of us who mainly signed up to receive extensive figure skating content.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
"Video unavailable" :(
Same here. 😢
I'm sorry - are you in the US? I am, but I needed to use a VPN (I use it with the Opera browser as recommended by some others here).
I'm in the US but don't have my own VPN. Am also not familiar with Opera browser. When you're pathetically tech-challenged like me -- I mean, even switching to Chrome from IE was traumatic. :laugh:

But yikes, I found Opera and it does sound good. Will check it out for more details. Much thanks!

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
"They have previously accused several other companies of misusing their work, including allegations against Fox Sports, Discovery Inc, Monster Energy, and Warner Brothers in lawsuits that later settled."

In lawsuits that later settled. Bingo. Now they can use those settled cases as ammo for future cases. I don't care who you jokers want to sue, I just want my figure skating on-demand videos back and now I can't have them. And what of this incompetence at Fox Sports, et al.? How the heck could they let this happen? Unreal.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBC has also pulled their YouTube channels Olympic figure skating videos as well.
I hope they get a handle on this mess soon. I want to watch my skating replays on Peacock.
I’m side-eyeing those artists. Greedy greedy greedy. I hope they know what kind of mess they made. Some people need to think what consequences their actions might have.

katymay

Medalist
Are you saying Trusova should call up Disney and ask if she can skate to Cruella, I don't get it. And if Disney does actually need to be contacted, other people would be handling it and not the skater. Should Wakaba have called Beyonce? I don't get it.

Yeah this sounds like NBC's problem, if there even is a problem. I don't trust these brothers and their lawyer father. The skaters aren't involved in this process, and it's a shame K/F were dragged into this. Hopefully they have people assuring them that everything's going to be fine, and I hope they don't lose a penny because of this. And hopefully it's not too much of an inconvenience and they'll be able to use the music at Worlds, although they'll probably be glad to get a new SP after this.

This lawsuit was filed immediately before they skated their Olympic programs. They did a great job maintaining their focus and not letting it take away from their highly enjoyable and successful Olympics.
Something like that actually, and often it takes months to 'clear' music via the publishers or rights owner. Disney-more often than not-will turn down requests, even for noncommercial 'performance'. Each country has its own 'deal' though, and every country as its own copyright restrictions and laws. I do think this is going to be a bigger issue, probably resulting in a new contract between the ISU/NBC etc. and the music industry as a whole, and it isn't the first time this situation has arisen-(Kevin Reynolds).

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can understand about artists wanting control of their music, but (my own opinion) a figure skater picking your music, and giving it more attention, is a positive thing.

I think back to 2002, and can remember Michelle Kwan skating to "Fields of Gold" by Eva Cassidy. A lot of people had no idea who Eva was, or her music, or the story of her untimely passing.

That changed after all the attention "Fields of Gold" got from Michelle's skate to it. So much so, that Eva's family and the president of Eva's record label met with Michelle backstage at the Champions on Ice tour, to give her a gold record of "Fields of Gold" as a thank you for exposing so many people to Eva's music.

GretchenG

Rinkside
I used to work for ASCAP years ago. (First job after grad school).

One use that makes me very suspicious is Sasha's use of Cruella-could be that Russia has a special deal I'm not aware of-but Disney is notorious for denying use of the music they own, and just paying the yearly fee to ASCAP/BMI won't get the music released for use. You have to jump through many hoops to use anything Disney owns, especially anything brand new. It isn't just Disney-there are some bands that are notorious as well-Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin-and yes, Prince. Often as far as figure skaters, I believe that some artists (at least those who actually still own their music) let it slide. Some more obscure artists probably see the exposure as a benefit. NBC would pay a huge ,fee for music broadcast rights, but the music selection still has to be cleared, and I think there are many figure skaters do not know they have to get their music cleared-which is more than a club or organization just paying the yearly fee to ASCAP or BMI.
Okay, but do the skaters do that themselves? I'm assuming that they submit their music to usfsa or something oh, and they take care of it. Or maybe they can just go online and do it?

GretchenG

Rinkside
I can understand about artists wanting control of their music, but (my own opinion) a figure skater picking your music, and giving it more attention, is a positive thing.

I think back to 2002, and can remember Michelle Kwan skating to "Fields of Gold" by Eva Cassidy. A lot of people had no idea who Eva was, or her music, or the story of her untimely passing.

That changed after all the attention "Fields of Gold" got from Michelle's skate to it. So much so, that Eva's family and the president of Eva's record label met with Michelle backstage at the Champions on Ice tour, to give her a gold record of "Fields of Gold" as a thank you for exposing so many people to Eva's music.
Wow, that's very cool. It probably meant a lot to Michelle.