Knierim and Frazier hit with lawsuit for use of song | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Knierim and Frazier hit with lawsuit for use of song

GretchenG

Rinkside
^^
It is absolutely true that use of music by a figure skater can be a wonderfully positive thing. That does not remove the need to first ASK the copyright holder for permission.
I understand that, but my question is just, how is it done? What's the process? Skaters at the level of Knierim & Frazier have known that for years. Maybe they just thought they could get around it because it's a small band?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Meanwhile, it looks like NBC/Peacock has removed the entire figure skating season of events (including individual Olympic figure skating replays, U.S. Nationals, GP events, and 2021 Worlds) from their site, with no explanation!

The only figure skating I could find available is under Olympics primetime coverage replays. I don't even see the Gala event any longer, and I didn't have a chance to view it yet! Plus, what happened to the extensive coverage of the past couple of seasons?!
I wonder why you found what I sad so many weeks ago about the Peacock website coverage funny @DreamSkates. I'm glad they are doing Worlds coverage. I thought they would. My question is: Did they bring back every other event this season that they had removed from the website? And how long are they going to leave up the streaming of this Worlds event?

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My question is: Did they bring back every other event this season that they had removed from the website? And how long are they going to leave up the streaming of this Worlds event?
No, they did not bring back any of the old events from the season. They added the U.S. Synchro Nationals and those events are still up for replay so far. And they added the Worlds events, but we have no idea how long they will be available for replay.

noskates

Record Breaker
I was wondering the same thing but didn't want to slog through 7 pages of posts. I really hope they didn't buy those money grubbers off.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I understand that, but my question is just, how is it done? What's the process? Skaters at the level of Knierim & Frazier have known that for years. Maybe they just thought they could get around it because it's a small band?
The process is that permission is secured by the skaters‘ team or national fed; it would cover all projected performances. In cases in which the performances will be on TV (such as on any of the NBC channels), the permission likely will be secured by them; this is why NBC is so strict about YouTube uploads.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was wondering the same thing but didn't want to slog through 7 pages of posts. I really hope they didn't buy those money grubbers off.
If there was a settlement to the copyright holders, it was likely done by NBC (as the broadcast entity).

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From other posts I think the live performances are allowed to use the music but the replays are not allowed. This might be why we can't get pairs replay. I think with vpn you can get a Canadian replay.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I noticed that the announcer gave credit to the band before K/Fs skate. That acknowledgement may have been part of a settlement.

I not that their band name seems highly derivative, as "Heavy Young Heathens" really reminds me of Fine Young Cannibals.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Speaking of Peacock streaming, the women's SP replay was put up fairly promptly after the competition ended. The pairs SP though, was listed under its icon as "replay soon" into last night. This morning, that replay icon was gone completely. As if the pairs SP competition never took place. Today, the men's SP replay was also put up soon after the competition ended.

I think this means that Peacock will not be streaming any replays of the pairs SP. And I'm sure it's due to this lawsuit. Which is stupid, because they could easily mute the K/F program music only while leaving the rest of the replay intact. As soon as Worlds is over, I will be cancelling my Peacock subscription. I have no faith they will ever be restoring all the figure skating replays they took off last month.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Speaking of Peacock streaming, the women's SP replay was put up fairly promptly after the competition ended. The pairs SP though, was listed under its icon as "replay soon" into last night. This morning, that replay icon was gone completely. As if the pairs SP competition never took place. Today, the men's SP replay was also put up soon after the competition ended.

I think this means that Peacock will not be streaming any replays of the pairs SP. And I'm sure it's due to this lawsuit. Which is stupid, because they could easily mute the K/F program music only while leaving the rest of the replay intact. As soon as Worlds is over, I will be cancelling my Peacock subscription. I have no faith they will ever be restoring all the figure skating replays they took off last month.
Yes, and my internet was out yesterday afternoon, so I haven't seen it, and can't find any videos. I just want to at least see Ashley & Tim! I wish NBC/Peacock would just chack K/F or mute their music or something and give us a replay, or post A&T SP on their Youtube channel.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I had an appointment and had to abandon watching the pairs SP while Safina/Berulava were skating. Missed everyone after that, and am very p!ssed off that I can't find any replays to watch.

If anybody knows of any replays (either full stream of the last two groups or any individual performances), please please share.

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I wonder why you found what I sad so many weeks ago about the Peacock website coverage funny @DreamSkates. I'm glad they are doing Worlds coverage. I thought they would. My question is: Did they bring back every other event this season that they had removed from the website? And how long are they going to leave up the streaming of this Worlds event?
Since you didn't quote me, I'm not sure why you thought my comment "funny." I've been watching Worlds and other events online via streaming (Peacock and earlier options) for a long time. And appreciate them.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Since you didn't quote me, I'm not sure why you thought my comment "funny." I've been watching Worlds and other events online via streaming (Peacock and earlier options) for a long time. And appreciate them.
It seems like a misunderstanding. You had put a laugh emoji under my post. I didn't exactly know what you were laughing at. No big deal. :)