Korea revenge in 2018? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Korea revenge in 2018?

cheerio2

On the Ice
The Koreans don't have the resources to control judging,

(Which is something that comes to the Russian Fed very naturally, It's a tradition even)

Even if they had them than i'm not sure they operate like that,

Unless they decide to be students of the Russians and try to emulate

Also, 4 years is a long time from now ;)

How do you explain 1988 Seoul Olympics with Roy Jones Jr. and the 2002 World Cup then? In both situations, there was actual concrete evidence (unlike in Sochi) that Korea had bribed the respective judges and referee. Korea is just as capable of bribery and corruption as any other country.

ahy

Final Flight
I doubt it...the KSU is a joke and the KOC seems... to me as well, If SoYoun keeps on improve we may see her being a medal contender, but it's no use to revenge, Yuna Kim got over it too, so why not follow what she wants, im sure yuna doesnt want to see these things happen because of her...

Ophelia

Record Breaker
At this point, it's less about what Yuna Kim wants and more about restoring S. Korea's "face". The nation feels like it got picked on by Russians during Sochi and is ashamed of the powerlessness/ineptness of the KSU.

NMURA

Medalist
Basically Koreans are very realistic in cost-benefit calculations (which is nurtured by their extreme poverty until recent years). They don't invest valuable resources in something they don't expect effective "returns". I think there will be rule changes further diminish the hopes on Kim's "return".

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
How do you explain 1988 Seoul Olympics with Roy Jones Jr. and the 2002 World Cup then? In both situations, there was actual concrete evidence (unlike in Sochi) that Korea had bribed the respective judges and referee. Korea is just as capable of bribery and corruption as any other country.

I have no knowledge of that, i was talking about the skating Federation.

But no, Bribery and corruption wasn't invented by Russia for figure skating, If that's what you are suggesting :agree:

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
The Koreans don't have the resources to control judging,

(Which is something that comes to the Russian Fed very naturally, It's a tradition even)

Even if they had them than i'm not sure they operate like that,

Unless they decide to be students of the Russians and try to emulate

Also, 4 years is a long time from now ;)

The president of the KSU is the son in law of the Samsung CEO, correct? If that is so, then he must be rolling in money and most definitely has the resources ($$$) to pay off some judges.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
While I agre with Eladoa that the Korean skating federation has no power to control judging the way the Russian does, the Olympics extend way beyond the mere skate federations and right up to the countries Olympic commitees and governments. I am quite sure the Korean government and olympic committee has the power to influence the results, and after the Sochi debacle will exercise it. After all it was not so much the Russian skating federation as Putin and his 30 million or so dollar cheque which bought Sotnikova her ill gotten gold medal. Not that this is a good thing for the sport or something to hope, but I fully expect it. No matter who the Russians have new that is doing really well by then, unless a Russian lady lands 3 quads she will not win the Sochi gold, just as no lady who didnt do 3 quads was going to be allowed to beat a Russian lady for gold in Sochi. I am sure of that.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice

Corruption and bribery exists everywhere and every country is capable of it.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
While I agre with Eladoa that the Korean skating federation has no power to control judging the way the Russian does, the Olympics extend way beyond the mere skate federations and right up to the countries Olympic commitees and governments. I am quite sure the Korean government and olympic committee has the power to influence the results, and after the Sochi debacle will exercise it. Not that this is a good thing for the sport or something to hope, but I fully expect it. No matter who the Russians have new that is doing really well by then, unless a Russian lady lands 3 quads she will not win the Sochi gold. I am sure of that.

I don't think it was the Russian government that influenced the results, I think it was the Russian skating fed or their sponsors if anyone at all... the situation is weird and there is no evidence as of now so it's hard to say. After all, Gold's scores were also mega-inflated.

EDIT: As for Putin, so far no one has been able to produce even a shred of evidence to support the notion that Putin is corrupt and rolling in money. Putin doesn't care about FS and probably didn't know Adelina existed until she won. He's a snake but I don't think he's corrupt or had anything to do with the Sochi judging.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

It is also much easier to haul the Russian scores down as the feeling in figure skating for decades is Russians are all overscored anyway. So nobody will come to their defense, even if it were merited to do so. Look at how Joe Inman and the Americans indulged in obvious corruption to gain Lysacek his questionable (at best) gold medal, and victimizing Plushenko and the Russians, but nobody even cared since it was a Russian and nobody ever comes to their defense given the history of the sport. Unless the Russians come up with someone as beloved by the skating world as Gordeeva & Grinkov or Yagudin in the ladies event (good luck).

whatif

Medalist
While I agre with Eladoa that the Korean skating federation has no power to control judging the way the Russian does, the Olympics extend way beyond the mere skate federations and right up to the countries Olympic commitees and governments. I am quite sure the Korean government and olympic committee has the power to influence the results, and after the Sochi debacle will exercise it. After all it was not so much the Russian skating federation as Putin and his 30 million or so dollar cheque which bought Sotnikova her ill gotten gold medal. Not that this is a good thing for the sport or something to hope, but I fully expect it. No matter who the Russians have new that is doing really well by then, unless a Russian lady lands 3 quads she will not win the Sochi gold, just as no lady who didnt do 3 quads was going to be allowed to beat a Russian lady for gold in Sochi. I am sure of that.

I find it disgusting that these posters are allowed to make these slanderous and defamatory statements on this board. Shame on you.

cebi26

On the Ice
If Korea wants payback for Sochi, they are on their own. Russia did marvelously in the Worlds with Yulia and S/K getting silver, and I/K lost the gold for their own mistakes, cause the judges surely ready to given them the proper scores to win. And as I said earlier, Korea has no medal contender, i doubt they would spend tons of money just to make sure Russia loose. Some people here need to go back to reality, ASAP. :rolleye:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I did think about that in the immediate aftermath of the ladies event at Sochi, but it just seems fanciful now. It made for a better punchline / snarky response to the podium finish but unless Samsung pulls all their resources from the Olympics (not bloody likely), it's not going to happen. And even then, if any corruption happens in figure skating, it seems to occupy its own self-contained netherworld.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
the only ones who are itching for a payback are no one else but the Yuna fans
how ironic ? not so much :rolleye:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think that Korea has far more interesting things to do that to hold a grudge against a teenager for 4 years :laugh:

It's not like holding a grudge takes 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can go off a do other things in the meantime. :p

JayW

Final Flight
Short answer to this thread is yes!

SK is famous for its ultra patriotism and vengeance. It happened many times before in different sports. 2018, it may not be in the figure skating, but I am sure Russia will suffer here and there.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

SK is famous for its ultra patriotism and vengeance. It happened many times before in different sports. 2018, it may not be in the figure skating, but I am sure Russia will suffer here and there.

should be shivering with fear then :popcorn:
whats cooking for the Yuna fans for the evile master plan

meteorlight8

Rinkside

THIS! I'm not sure they'd care all that much about fixing figure skating since they likely won't have a legit contender, but the Russian Oly team will most definitely get screwed out of a bunch of medals in 2018 as a result of Sochi. Anyone who remembers what happened at the 2002 World Cup can tell you South Korea is MORE than capable of fixing competitions should they wish to.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
THIS! I'm not sure they'd care all that much about fixing figure skating since they likely won't have a legit contender, but the Russian Oly team will most definitely get screwed out of a bunch of medals in 2018 as a result of Sochi. Anyone who remembers what happened at the 2002 World Cup can tell you South Korea is MORE than capable of fixing competitions should they wish to.

that's nothing Korea will win Ice Hockey, lmao
that's a bigger price than the Yuna fans combined :popcorn: