Most controversial programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Most controversial programs

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Ooh, just recalled another recent controversial program - Ilinykh/Katsalapov's "Ghost" FD from the 2012/13 season. That voice-over :hopelessness: Although there were programs with voice-over before, and definitely many more after (Looooooooooooove, oh Loveeeeeeee~ (well, tbh, that one is mostly just awful singing, but there is some voice over :laugh:) ), this one was one of the very view to feature it that extensively. To my mind, it was a failed experiment, although I commend them for thinking outside of the box. Either way, voice-overs in FS programs are definitely a point of contention.

Ya I/K's program had way too many voiceovers and at some points, used those voiceovers to convey drama, making it too OTT. They had to add some music behind those voiceovers later in the season to make them blend in better. On the topic of voiceovers, I thought C/L's program was enhanced at World's with the dialogue placed in the introduction (the only voiceover used in the program).

Going back to I/K again, their Schindler's List program was controversial because of the gunshot ending.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I thought that there is no excuse for racism was a given, but apparently you need things spelled out for you 😐
I don’t need anything spelled out for me. I am not disputing the programs racism. I am explaining the strategy. If there is no excuse why didn’t isu ban it? Why didn’t Australia file a complaint when it violated all the rules of the OD by trashing aboriginal culture?

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Let me state this first:
I love Davis and White. Definitely one of my favourite ice dancers( after v/M though ) 😉

But did anyone feel off about their Indian Folk dance? Something about the exaggerated movements and.... You know..

But it was certainly different and creative.

I'm going to leave before I anger the whole fandom.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well, 5 year old Nastya Sokolova just skated to Despacito at the Cup of Plushenko, so there's that...

acapenci

On the Ice
I don’t need anything spelled out for me. I am not disputing the programs racism. I am explaining the strategy. If there is no excuse why didn’t isu ban it? Why didn’t Australia file a complaint when it violated all the rules of the OD by trashing aboriginal culture?
Probably because they didnt want to draw attention to themselves.

Lota

Record Breaker
Ya I/K's program had way too many voiceovers and at some points, used those voiceovers to convey drama, making it too OTT. They had to add some music behind those voiceovers later in the season to make them blend in better. On the topic of voiceovers, I thought C/L's program was enhanced at World's with the dialogue placed in the introduction (the only voiceover used in the program).

Going back to I/K again, their Schindler's List program was controversial because of the gunshot ending.

Similar thing with Medvedeva's 9/11 program and the voice-over and other sounds there. In a similar vein, although I wouldn't say it was super controversial among Ice Dance fans, I really dislike Guignard/Fabbri's take on Schindler's List as well - the approach is way too literal and at least for me somewhat lacking in respect, I mean the costuming, like, really? :palmf: When dealing with such sensitive topics as 9/11 or the Holocaust you have to be very careful, if you choose music that is inseparable to the event, you are paying tribute and you have to do it with as much respect as possible. Some of the aspects of the programs, whether they are costumes, sounds, performance (the miming :drama: ) or other things may end up cheapening the whole thing. Basically, you can choose any music to create any program you like, and if you choose to pay tribute to such important and painful topics, you should do it right. Although, I guess what is "right" is different for everyone, hence the arguing and controversy :laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Probably because they didnt want to draw attention to themselves.

I’m totally shocked and surprised! What is a fact is that Australians are always guilt tripping over aboriginal things!! Here was a perfect opportunity to ban racism against aboriginals!!!

Lota

Record Breaker
Back in the day Rahkamo & Kokko were often considered controversial, in fact you can hear Scott Hamilton (if that's him) call this program "very controversial": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRA5O4b06Hk

Also in 1994 their outfits were controversial in "La Strada". You can see how much they toned down their appearance for the Olympics, this is the original from the Europeans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT63JEQ7SN0

:hijacked: Not a comment about the programs themselves, but it always blows my mind whenever I search for a program from the early 90s and hear the same voices of the B.ESP guys commenting, they've been doing this for so long :luv17: They're like a comfort blanket, I always expect to hear some unknown voice, and yet here they are, reliable as always, connecting decades of Figure Skating throughout different rules, formats and whatnot. Love 'em.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Indeed Rahkamo & Kokko were often controversial.

Their 1991 Skate America drunken sailor polka was controversial because the judges decided their music was a hoedown, not a polka.

It only survives in a summary report of the CDs and OD of the event:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEbgbwhoO0Y

They changed to a Lapland polka that was controversial because it was another drunken polka story, and some people thought it was disrespectful to Laplanders.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ebPwftemw

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I cannot move past that vile, disgusting, heinous thing that Domnina/Shabalin had in 2010.

I cannot believe that they faced no serious sanction for their overt, blatant display of racism. I cannot believe that the judges actually rewarded their blatant racism. And then they met some Canadian First Nations people and somehow everything was okay.

It was one of the most obvious displays of the ISU telling a little country to go **** themselves that you can possibly imagine.

Worse, there was no O'Brien/Merriman at that Olympics to show them how it really should be done. (They missed Nebelhorn because Greg had a heart problem.)

gmyers

Record Breaker
I cannot move past that vile, disgusting, heinous thing that Domnina/Shabalin had in 2010.

I cannot believe that they faced no serious sanction for their overt, blatant display of racism. I cannot believe that the judges actually rewarded their blatant racism. And then they met some Canadian First Nations people and somehow everything was okay.

It was one of the most obvious displays of the ISU telling a little country to go **** themselves that you can possibly imagine.

Worse, there was no O'Brien/Merriman at that Olympics to show them how it really should be done. (They missed Nebelhorn because Greg had a heart problem.)

original dance judges euros

Judge No.1 Ms. Irina KIREEVA
ISU
Judge No.2 Ms. Julia SEMJONOVA
ISU
Judge No.3 Mr. Richard KOSINA
ISU
Judge No.4 Mr. Ulf DENZER
ISU
Judge No.5 Mr. Mika SAARELAINEN
ISU
Judge No.6 Mr. Laurent CARRIERE
ISU
Judge No.7 Mr. Christopher BUCHANAN
ISU
Judge No.8 Ms. Katalin ALPERN
ISU
Judge No.9 Mr. Roland MAEDER

61.49 at euros!! No zeroes

OD judges Olympics

MIKHAILOVSKAYA Ludmila
ISU
Judge No.2 NECHKINA Irina
ISU
Judge No.3 KRAUZIENE Laimute
ISU
Judge No.4 CARRIERE Laurent
ISU
Judge No.5 PETHES Akos
ISU
Judge No.6 ABBOTT Jodi
ISU
Judge No.7 SELBY Hilary
ISU
Judge No.8 ZAYDMAN Albert
ISU
Judge No.9 SHEKHOVTSOVA Alla

62.84 no zeroes!

acapenci

On the Ice
I’m totally shocked and surprised! What is a fact is that Australians are always guilt tripping over aboriginal things!! Here was a perfect opportunity to ban racism against aboriginals!!!

Nobody is trying to make anybody feel guilty, acknowledging racism doesnt create shame, there is no such thing as "white guilt". Bans against racism doesnt stop all forms of racism from happening... I find it disgusting you are actively defending people who did blackface

gmyers

Record Breaker
Nobody is trying to make anybody feel guilty, acknowledging racism doesnt create shame, there is no such thing as "white guilt". Bans against racism doesnt stop all forms of racism from happening... I find it disgusting you are actively defending people who did blackface

But Australians do feel very guilty! The guilt is so big they abolished “Ayres Rock”. When I defended domshabs aboriginal I said totally different things! I said things like “it’s totally affectionate” “they are just trying to be authentic” “they are prisoners of a rule requiring folk dances” “Russian dances are played out” “I admire them and their bold choice!” I also said things like “they are Russians and Russian culture is behind the world in racial sensitivity” But I learned so much in Linichuk and Domnina and Shabalin interviews. The whole thing was about distraction. Then I learned Australian Skating could have banned it. Also Linichuk was basically American domnina and Shabalin trained in America with Americans. They are not in Russian bubble!!!

renla

Rinkside
Truly one of the most controversial ice dance programs ever skated has to be this:

Duchesnay & Duchesnay (FRA) - 1988 Calgary, Ice Dancing, Free Dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKawuklMDc

I remember it well. This was of course a Christopher Dean program - who else? It was brilliantly skated by the Duchesnays. Unfortunately it didn't go over well with the judges, the crowd yes. Perhaps it was too far ahead of its time. I wonder how it would be judged today. I loved the Durchesnays - they were Canadian but represented France because they felt overlooked in Canada. Probably wouldn't be the case now.

I REALLY liked that! Can someone explain what was so controversial about it?

gmyers

Record Breaker

The music was a big part of it!

The judges were invited to a press conference but declined to attend. Rumors surfaced that the Duchesnays had been penalized for employing illegal handholds and unsuitable music. "Absolute rubbish," said Demmy, who would have placed the Duchesnays second in both the freestyle program and the original set pattern dance.

"To be innovative, you have to break the rules," said U.S. skating coach Ron Ludington. "Torvill and Dean never lived b

https://www.si.com/vault/1988/03/07/117268/so-much-for-originality

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States

Like.... besides the fact that it's horribly culturally appropriative, in a "mocking" way? What with their awful costumes and the very idea of calling it a war dance.... I'm all for breaking the rules, and I like watching that team, but this program is not great in the big picture at all.

renla

Rinkside
Like.... besides the fact that it's horribly culturally appropriative, in a "mocking" way? What with their awful costumes and the very idea of calling it a war dance.... I'm all for breaking the rules, and I like watching that team, but this program is not great in the big picture at all.

I didn't see anything wrong with the costumes, but then again I don't know anything about the program. As a first time viewer, I liked the energy and the different elements they did.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I didn't see anything wrong with the costumes, but then again I don't know anything about the program. As a first time viewer, I liked the energy and the different elements they did.

I’d like to like it too. The choreography was really different and strange (which i generally like), but they also took elements of their team’s idea of “African war dance” and combined with the posture and facial expressions, created this program that’s supposed to be “wild” and “raw” and it’s offensive

my issue with the costumes is how they are, once again, “vaguely African.” I’m pretty sure nobody who was maybe an expert in African cultural dance was consulted, and nobody really knew enough to respect what they were drawing from. It just comes off.... very bad, to me.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

A lot of it was their costumes, and the subject. The program was really ahead of its time. I always thought it was cool.