Need help with finding new skates! | Golden Skate

Need help with finding new skates!

Flying_Flutz

Spectator
Hey there everyone!! I am a teen skater who’s looking for a skate upgrade. If it helps, I’m below age 17 and weight around 130lbs and am 5’5. I currently have a pair of Jackson Cameos I got at a Canadian tire about a year ago. I recently just hit freestyle 1 ISI level but meddle in skills from freestyle 2 and 3. I’m looking for a pair of skates that’s not horribly expensive, but will last me a good few years and carry me (hopefully) to freestyle 5/6. I absolutely love my Jackson’s, I’ve broken them in, I love how comfortable they are on my feet, and they have a pretty good stiffness in my opinion. However, they are HEAVY, and it’s really starting to bug me. I’ve noticed it’s really having an affect on my jumps. I have a few options:

1. Get a new skate and new blade. I’m thinking Edea overture or chorus with Jackson Ultima Protege blades. Main con of this is that my coach has told me Edeas tend to wear down easy, and people seem to either love Edea or loathe them. +expensive

2. Keep my current boot and get a nice blade, like John Wilson Coronation Ace Lite. Though I’m not sure how long my boot will last, and if I’ll end up having to replace the boot anyways

3. Keep my current Mark 1 blade and new boot.

Also I figure I should note, my coach has told me some Jackson models are lighter, though I’m not sure which ones or how much of a difference it’ll make from my current skates. My current skates weigh around 3.5 lbs
Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey there everyone!! I am a teen novice skater who’s looking for a skate upgrade. If it helps, I’m below age 17 and weight around 130lbs and am 5’5. I currently have a pair of Jackson Cameos I got at a Canadian tire about a year ago. I recently just hit freestyle 1 ISI level but meddle in skills from freestyle 2 and 3. I’m looking for a pair of skates that’s not horribly expensive, but will last me a good few years and carry me (hopefully) to freestyle 5/6. I absolutely love my Jackson’s, I’ve broken them in, I love how comfortable they are on my feet, and they have a pretty good stiffness in my opinion. However, they are HEAVY, and it’s really starting to bug me. I’ve noticed it’s really having an affect on my jumps. I have a few options:

1. Get a new skate and new blade. I’m thinking Edea overture or chorus with Jackson Ultima Protege blades. Main con of this is that my coach has told me Edeas tend to wear down easy, and people seem to either love Edea or loathe them. +expensive

2. Keep my current boot and get a nice blade, like John Wilson Coronation Ace Lite. Though I’m not sure how long my boot will last, and if I’ll end up having to replace the boot anyways

3. Keep my current Mark 1 blade and new boot.

Also I figure I should note, my coach has told me some Jackson models are lighter, though I’m not sure which ones or how much of a difference it’ll make from my current skates. My current skates weigh around 3.5 lbs
Thoughts? Thanks!
Hello and welcome! :D Okay, first things first you are a beginner in skating right now, you should refrain from saying novice to describe being new to the sport, b/c novice is an actual level which is way more advanced than you are now. ;) Just had to let you in on that. :)

Secondly, have you ever had a professional fitting by a figure skate tech? Because if not that is first. Your boots are not stiff enough for your height and weight and other things. It sounds like Jackson is your best bet, but a pro fitting will tell you what brands are best for your feet. I can suggest fitters if you can let us know the general area you are in.
Usually, if Jackson fits you well, Edea is a no. I can suggest styles in brands for your level and needs if you would like.

As far as blade, Traditional John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro. There is no need at this point to get a Coronation Ace Lite, it will not have any benefits at this stage.

Good luck! If you need any help I and others can help, just ask.

Last edited:

Flying_Flutz

Spectator
Hello and welcome! :D Okay, first things first you are a beginner in skating right now, you should refrain from saying novice to describe being new to the sport, b/c novice is an actual level which is way more advanced than you are now. ;) Just had to let you in on that. :)

Secondly, have you ever had a professional fitting by a figure skate tech? Because if not that is first. Your boots are not stiff enough for your height and weight and other things. It sounds like Jackson is your best bet, but a pro fitting will tell you what brands are best for your feet. I can suggest fitters if you can let us know the general area you are in.
Usually, if Jackson fits you well, Edea is a no. I can suggest styles in brands for your level and needs if you would like.

As far as blade, Traditional John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro. There is no need at this point to get a Coronation Ace Lite, it will not have any benefits at this stage.

My bad on the novice thing, I’ll go ahead and change that now :)) I’ve never been professionally fitted, so I should go and get that done. My main gripe is I love how light edea’s are, and Jackson’s tend to run on the heavier side. If you know of any Jackson’s that are lightweight that would be great, thanks!! Edit: I looked into some Jackson skates, what is your opinion on Jackson Flex Fusions?

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker

It doesn't matter the weight of the boot, it matters that it fits well so that you will avoid damage to your feet and they won't impede your progress.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It doesn't matter the weight of the boot, it matters that it fits well so that you will avoid damage to your feet and they won't impede your progress.
Why am I quoted? LOL I said nothing about boot weight. ;)

Flying_Flutz

Spectator
I’ve done some looking at skates, I’m not sure whether I should splurge and get Jackson Flex fusions and John Wilson blades, or just get Freestyle Fusions with the blade that comes with it.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’ve done some looking at skates, I’m not sure whether I should splurge and get Jackson Flex fusions and John Wilson blades, or just get Freestyle Fusions with the blade that comes with it.
Have you had a fitting?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Yes. He said I should stick with Jackson, and the Jackson Freestyle Fusions are good because they’ll last me to single axels and double lutz. One of my friends has them and she says their great.
While the Freestyle boots are fine for you stiffness wise, the blade that comes with (Aspire) is still a beginner blade. You would be much better off getting separate boots and blades (Coronation Ace or MK Pro as Ic3Rabbit suggested, these are intermediate blades that are appropriate now that you are learning jumps).

I wouldn't get the Flex, now that you are jumping, they are a little less supportive (Jackson rating 35). You should look at the Entre (rated 40), Debut low cut (rated 45) or regular Debut (rated 50). If you had gotten the Freestyle, those are rated 45.

The only caveat is, are you finished growing? At your current weight, these boot recommendations are pretty solid, but if you are tall/getting taller or you gain weight, you need stiffer boots. I'm on the heavy side and I wear Debut low cuts, and I'm not even jumping.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
While the Freestyle boots are fine for you stiffness wise, the blade that comes with (Aspire) is still a beginner blade. You would be much better off getting separate boots and blades (Coronation Ace or MK Pro as Ic3Rabbit suggested, these are intermediate blades that are appropriate now that you are learning jumps).

I wouldn't get the Flex, now that you are jumping, they are a little less supportive (Jackson rating 35). You should look at the Entre (rated 40), Debut low cut (rated 45) or regular Debut (rated 50). If you had gotten the Freestyle, those are rated 45.

The only caveat is, are you finished growing? At your current weight, these boot recommendations are pretty solid, but if you are tall/getting taller or you gain weight, you need stiffer boots. I'm on the heavy side and I wear Debut low cuts, and I'm not even jumping.
OP, I agree with most of this, especially that you need separate boots and blades. But at your height/weight/other factors you've stated, I wouldn't put you in a lower rated Jackson than Premiere Fusion. If you told me you weighed 100 lbs or less then I'd suggest Entre or Debut, but with what you've told us, they won't be stiff enough to support you properly.

Good luck! :)

Flying_Flutz

Spectator
Hey everyone!! I ended up getting freestyle fusions, as I had to buy these skates myself and my budget was fairly limited as a minor without a job lol. So far the blade is okay, I’ll likely end up looking into upgrading though. I’m extremely happy with them, turns out my previous skates were the incorrect size, they were a shoe size 8 and my new skates are figure skate size 6 1/2. They are super stiff and my feet hurt like mad from trying to break them in, they are super light weight however and fit great, I’m super happy with them. Thank you so much for your guys help!!