New boots from Jackson - Synergy Elite/Pro | Golden Skate

New boots from Jackson - Synergy Elite/Pro

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
So, apparently Keegan Messing's luggage got lost on his flight to Canadian nationals (which must be an absolute nightmare for him!).

This video from Nam Nguyen's IG got a lot of shares on social media, as it turns out Keegan was able to get a new pair of boots, but the shop seemed to only have appropriate boots for him in white. (Scroll a little further down that Twitter thread for a highly entertaining video of a shirtless Keegan throwing a 4T-3T-Eu-1S in his new boots...seriously, he must have nerves of steel!)

The boots caught my attention because they didn't look familiar at all to me - so I did a little searching and found out that Keegan is wearing a new boot from Jackson which I've never heard of before, called the Synergy! More info here, though it seems like there is no link to this page on Jackson's main site just yet.

Looks like an interesting product - they seem to be taking cues from some of the more modern-style boots like the higher-level Edeas, the Riedell Elara / Vega, and Auras. It also looks like they use a new series of insoles, which I'm particularly interested in given my issues with pronation!

Has anyone already heard of these boots, or even seen them in the wild?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know nothing about those boots (though I've seen them) but I have never seen a man in white boots before. I see women in black boots all the time (and of course, men with white laces) but have never seen a man in white boots!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I know nothing about those boots (though I've seen them) but I have never seen a man in white boots before. I see women in black boots all the time (and of course, men with white laces) but have never seen a man in white boots!
John Curry used to have some. I have seen others, too. But then, I'm old...

loveohio

Rinkside
My daughter has worn these insoles since September. The jackson rep brought some for everyone to look at to one of our rinks over the summer, along with the new synergy boots and measuring feet with their fancy computer scanning thing, and our coach wanted her to try them. They come in 3 levels of 'correction'. I think they are 3degrees, 5degrees, and 7degrees. They come in various sizes, and our skate tech ordered the smallest size in the 7degree correction and cut them down for her. They are one piece stiff foam that are thicker along one arch and ball of foot to provide the pronation correction. There is no heel cup; totally flat at the back. Our tech isn't all that impressed. She wears them in Risport RF3s with gold seal blades. The price for the insoles was somewhere around $30-$40 (not sure because she got new boots and blades and guards at the same time).

Previously she used superfeet yellow hockey comfort insoles, and the tech built up the underside a bit. She says that she doesn't really notice much difference between them, except that she likes having the heel cup on the superfeet more because it helps keep her foot from moving around. Not sure how much this means, but her head coach doesn't complain about her pronation to me any more. But hard to know if that's because these new insoles are making a difference, or she's just given up complaining about it!

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
No heel cup and only stiff foam sounds like it's only suitable for mild pronation (or people with neutral feet who prefer something under the arch for comfort). For a similar price Superfeet would work better...

Regarding the Synergy boot, Jackson's Instagram has some more info: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYRlnNaJjZs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
The main difference seems to be 'injection-moulded quarter panels' and 'customisable stiffness'. Perhaps those panels allow them to tweak stiffness levels faster? If I remember correctly, for a different stiffness in the same model one would need to fork out the money for a full custom (not rapid custom). I wonder if those Synergy boots are meant to be something in between Fusion and Elite series, in terms of both stiffness and fit. It would be nice to have something slightly more robust than Premieres but with similar padding!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Reading it... they designed it to LOOK like carbon fiber??? That's kinda dumb.
My skater loves her Jacksons, but I'll never accuse them of being good designers. Some of their recent choices (like the absolutely hideous looking "Duraguard" covering) are just fugly. Luckily you can still get a boot that looks normal, unfortunately only through custom, which we need anyway, so fine for us. They are lost competing with Edea, as most other mfgers are.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Ok, just returned from the skate shop. Among the reasons for these new boots, Jackson (and Riedell, Harlick, Avanta...) continue to have major supply chain issues. These boots can be manufactured without the traditional materials and therefore are not subject to as many constraints as traditional boots. Leather is in short supply, as are the skates/boots that are now made in China. Anything that comes from Europe, boot and materials, are ok, but anything coming from Asia is difficult to come by. Aura (they've started to rep those) is another boot that is readily available, as are Edea and Risport. Rumor (stress, rumor) is that Harlick is now over a year out on customs and Avanta has stopped making customs for now. Riedell is still in it, but limited as well.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Ok, just returned from the skate shop. Among the reasons for these new boots, Jackson (and Riedell, Harlick, Avanta...) continue to have major supply chain issues. These boots can be manufactured without the traditional materials and therefore are not subject to as many constraints as traditional boots. Leather is in short supply, as are the skates/boots that are now made in China. Anything that comes from Europe, boot and materials, are ok, but anything coming from Asia is difficult to come by. Aura (they've started to rep those) is another boot that is readily available, as are Edea and Risport. Rumor (stress, rumor) is that Harlick is now over a year out on customs and Avanta has stopped making customs for now. Riedell is still in it, but limited as well.
Thanks for the info! :thank:

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
My skater loves her Jacksons, but I'll never accuse them of being good designers. Some of their recent choices (like the absolutely hideous looking "Duraguard" covering) are just fugly. Luckily you can still get a boot that looks normal, unfortunately only through custom, which we need anyway, so fine for us. They are lost competing with Edea, as most other mfgers are.

Yeah, I've been in custom Jacksons for years because that's the only way you can get leather boots now. I get it, I get the lightweight thing, but I just like what I like and what I'm used to. I've been skating in the same boots since I was a teen and it would suck to switch now. I had a brief foray into Edea and hated them. At least custom is still an option. I wish I could buy stock because at this point I'm not jumping much. Surely there are other customers out there who don't like the plasticky skate look or feel?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Rumor (stress, rumor) is that Harlick is now over a year out on customs and Avanta has stopped making customs for now. Riedell is still in it, but limited as well.
I would believe it. I know in the summer of 2019, there were 2 skaters at my rink that were 6 months out from ordering their Harlicks and still waiting. I have long since got the vibe that they've been slipping farther and farther behind on orders.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Risport is doing just fine. But most other brands are so lost and so ugly haha.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Risport is doing just fine. But most other brands are so lost and so ugly haha.
Agreed, Risport makes beautiful boots. Wight have to try one out in a few months depending on supply chain issues with Jackson. European products are still obtainable. We thought about trying one last time, but it was a you know what shoot. We knew what we were getting with the Jackson fit, so that was the choice. If that choice isn't there...well we move on I guess.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Agreed, Risport makes beautiful boots. Wight have to try one out in a few months depending on supply chain issues with Jackson. European products are still obtainable. We thought about trying one last time, but it was a you know what shoot. We knew what we were getting with the Jackson fit, so that was the choice. If that choice isn't there...well we move on I guess.
They both are kind of similar in their fit so they might fit. Worth a try if need be. I remember how awful your experience was with the Jacksons last time.

Sibelius

On the Ice
They both are kind of similar in their fit so they might fit. Worth a try if need be. I remember how awful your experience was with the Jacksons last time.
I'm guessing we have until June until we have to think about replacement. There are still some things they can do to extend the life, but when those need to be done is when we need to order. Hopefully some improvements in the world all around by then, but who knows.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
<<Emphasis added.>> I thought Avanta made only customs. So do you mean they are shut down totally?

Last edited:

Sibelius

On the Ice
<<Emphasis added.>> I thought Avanta made only customs. So do you mean they are shut down totally?
I was told they are fitting and selling other boots, Jackson for one. Sounds like they are trying to keep things afloat.