No access to Thursday practices | Golden Skate

No access to Thursday practices

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I noticed the preliminary schedule on finlandiatrophy.com makes no mention of practices on Thursday... which I thought was unusual. We are usually allowed to watch, if we have an All-event tickets.

So I contacted the organisers and they told me there is no access to the practices on Thursday this year:

Finlandia trophy organisers said:
The reason we do not have open house on Thursday is, that there is construction still ongoing and there is security issue to have venue open to the audience at the same time. Thank you for understanding.
Huh. I booked flights and hotel assuming access to Thursday practices :-/

Hmm. Sulk in darkened hotel room on Thursday, or go out sightseeing?
Let me think about that for a second... ;-D

Eclair

Medalist
I noticed the preliminary schedule on finlandiatrophy.com makes no mention of practices on Thursday... which I thought was unusual. We are usually allowed to watch, if we have an All-event tickets.

So I contacted the organisers and they told me there is no access to the practices on Thursday this year:

sightseeing! and use this opportunity to go to some nice seafood restaurant, because we all know you don't have time to properly eat once competition starts and arena food is usually just French fries and co.🐟🍤🍪🍩

I found this: 42 traditional finish food you need:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/tabathaleg...ately-need-in-yo?utm_term=.pe1393MB#.nlkOZOkN

nimi

Medalist

Sorry to be the messenger of bad weather news but... It's raining and the forecast says the rains continue until Sunday or so. If we're lucky, there's gonna be some nice & sunny moments in between, but there's also a possibility that we won't see the sun for several days because all the rainclouds are busy blocking it. Planning some indoor activities could be a good move, just in case. (Museums? Shopping? Bar hopping?)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Thanks eclair and nimi... yes, I'd already checked the weather forecast... :-/ We're staying in an apartment so if the weather is bad, we can just stay in, eat home cooking, and watch the Junior Grand Prix (WiFi quality permitting).

We've been to Finland so many times now, we don't really need to do sightseeing anymore, but going to restaurants is always good :-D~~ (And walks are nice if the weather is good, Finland is beautiful, there are trees EVERYWHERE... :-D)

Tulipstar

Medalist
Good to know! Thank you.

I've never been to Finland before, so I will use the time on Friday for sightseeing :agree:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Good to know! Thank you.

I've never been to Finland before, so I will use the time on Friday for sightseeing :agree:
Friday practices should be open to ticket-holders (and Saturday, Sunday).

It's just Thursday they're saying there's no access...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
If there are skating fans here who are also interested in modern art, the Espoo Museum of Modern Art (EMMA) is close to the arena. According to google maps, it's a 600m walk.
"WeeGee"! :-D

We walk past that place on the way to the rink and back, every day...

...and I think that's where they're holding the draws for SP starting orders - well, it says "WeeGee" for the draws on Thursday at 19:30 on the coloured time schedule. Could it be any other place?!

TMC

Record Breaker
Thanks eclair and nimi... yes, I'd already checked the weather forecast... :-/ We're staying in an apartment so if the weather is bad, we can just stay in, eat home cooking, and watch the Junior Grand Prix (WiFi quality permitting).

We've been to Finland so many times now, we don't really need to do sightseeing anymore, but going to restaurants is always good :-D~~ (And walks are nice if the weather is good, Finland is beautiful, there are trees EVERYWHERE... :-D)

I have to recommend Via Tribunali right off Senate Square. Glorious pizzas that are better than anything I've ever had in Italy (I know it's blasphemy but I can't help it :D). They are always packed but they have a queuing system where you give them your phone number and they call you when they have a table. Took them 30 mins last time (they promised an hour). It's not too expensive either.

nimi

Medalist
"WeeGee"! :-D

We walk past that place on the way to the rink and back, every day...

...and I think that's where they're holding the draws for SP starting orders - well, it says "WeeGee" for the draws on Thursday at 19:30 on the coloured time schedule. Could it be any other place?!
Yep, EMMA is in the WeeGee building! http://www.weegeenayttelykeskus.fi/frontpageen/

It's been years since I last visited so I don't remember how good the deli/café in the building is but here's that page: http://www.weegeenayttelykeskus.fi/restaurant-services/

Tulipstar

Medalist
Friday practices should be open to ticket-holders (and Saturday, Sunday).

It's just Thursday they're saying there's no access...

Sorry, was confused with Ondrej Nepela, where the competition started on Thursday :)