Pairs & Dance Teams with Citizenship Issues | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Pairs & Dance Teams with Citizenship Issues

nimi

Medalist
Hello, do you know something about Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Lukas CSOLLEY (Ice dance, SVK)? Has Lucie already got Slovakian citizenship?
She was born in 1989, so I presume that was in Czechoslovakia (before it became 2 countries)? That might help? Maybe? (Does somebody know?)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
She was born in 1989, so I presume that was in Czechoslovakia (before it became 2 countries)? That might help? Maybe? (Does somebody know?)

Her hometown is actually right next to the border.

When they first paired up, I asked whether people in Slovakia and the Czech Republic are automatically entitled to dual-citizenship like we are in Northern Ireland. And some of the Czech members said no - you had to opt for one or the other when the split happened. But, they also added that it was very easy to get the other.

If I remember correctly, they also said that Lucie was already sorted out. But, don't take that as definite. I may be remembering that bit wrong.

CaroLiza_fan

MelDee

Final Flight

I don't think it is that much of a factor anymore, unless she has a Slovak ancestor. Back in 1993, when Czechoslovakia split, people could choose which citizenship they wanted, but I suppose that's not the case anymore. Although she might be more likely to be given the citizenship, as the Czech Republic and Slovakia have always had good relations. She definitely won't have that much of an issue with the language requirement for the citizenship, since the languages are very similar, so that's one of her main advantages.

nimi

Medalist
Thanks MelDee & CaroLiza_fan!

She definitely won't have that much of an issue with the language requirement for the citizenship, since the languages are very similar, so that's one of her main advantages.
...so basically, she won't pull a Bruno. :slink:

Andrea82

Medalist
Last time they managed to get the Slovak citizenship for Federica Testa (but C/T ended up as the first reserve).

Mattieu

Medalist
There's generally a residency requirement for French citizenship, but maybe they'll be willing to waive it for the Olympics. Of course, as France only has two spots, they'll have to contend against another team whose eligibility is in question, Abachkina/Thauron. She was born in Russia but moved to France as a child. Generally you can't apply for citizenship until you're 18, and her birthday is in January which might be too late. However, I'd heard that they found a workaround/made an exception, so maybe Lauriault/Le Gac will also be granted one.

Angelique already has French citizenship, she got it earlier this year by her mother getting French citizenship.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Bumping this thread because there's some related discussion going on in Nebelhorn threads...

Here's the new link to the ISU Olympic qualification document: http://www.isu.org/docman-documents-links/isu-files/event-documents/olympic-games/2018-pyeongchang/qualification-systems/7566-qualification-system-figure-skating-v11/file
(The recent ISU site redesign has killed a lot of useful links in older posts...)

Ugh I know. I have an entire thread for tracking qualification spots and while I've just asked mods to move it to the Olympic subforum, I'll need to edit all the links which are long since dead.

nimi

Medalist
Yesterday I heard that he failed part of the exam (again) and has to retake it (again). He passed the oral part earlier in the summer, it's one of the written parts that's giving him trouble.
A short article about Bruno failing the exam: https://www.jungewelt.de/artikel/319051.ein-deutscher-test.html

Aljona & every German speaker around him better start speaking GERMAN ONLY to him from now on.

»Es ist so schwierig für mich, einen deutschen Test zu verstehen«, sagte der Vizeweltmeister, der einen dritten Anlauf gestartet und sich auch schon für eine vierte Prüfung angemeldet hat.

KMK0902

On the Ice
Other sport federations on how they deal with citizenship issues, it's different for different sports. For example, the International Ice Hockey Federation requires that someone has to LIVE for a year (straight, multiple trips adding up to more than 12 months is not sufficient) in the county they want to represent, even if they have citizenship for the county....

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A short article about Bruno failing the exam: https://www.jungewelt.de/artikel/319051.ein-deutscher-test.html

Aljona & every German speaker around him better start speaking GERMAN ONLY to him from now on.

Didn't he pass the oral part of the exam, though? And it's the written part that's giving him fits.

It's very angst-producing. I love Aliona and Bruno and badly want him to get his citizenship in time. I mean, at this point, it would be a great loss to the pairs comp and a personal tragedy for A/B if he didn't.

At the same time, it's an interesting subject. I think most people get the comprehension and speaking of a language very quickly if they're immersed in a place where that language is spoken. Most people are surprised how quickly they pick it up. But if one is even slightly dyslexic, the written language could be a nightmare.

But also, there's whether a person is more a visual learner or an audial learner. My husband learns best by hearing. I, OTOH, learn much better by reading ... seeing the words.

nimi

Medalist
Didn't he pass the oral part of the exam, though? And it's the written part that's giving him fits.

Yes, he passed the oral test in the summer.

I heard somebody claim it was the hearing comprehension part of the written test he failed but I don't have an "official" source for that.

Jana

On the Ice
As CZE got OG spot in Ice Dance - Does anybody knows about Cortney MANSOUR and Czech citizenship for her?
I read in end of 2016 that they are waiting for it, but nothing new since then.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
As CZE got OG spot in Ice Dance - Does anybody knows about Cortney MANSOUR and Czech citizenship for her?
I read in end of 2016 that they are waiting for it, but nothing new since then.

I was also interested in this subject, and the news are quite negative. - https://oh.idnes.cz/cortney-mansour...-/zoh-2018.aspx?c=A170930_122344_zoh-2018_tof

It's a Czech article, but is contains crucial infomation - Mansour doesn't have the citizenship yet.

Ice dancing pair Courtney Mansour and Michal Češka earned a spot for Czech Republic for the Olympics in Pchjongchchang at the qualifying competition at Obersdorf. The Czech team placed fifth thanks to good free dance and they safely placed in the qualifying Top six for South Korea. In order to perform at the Olympics, Mansour has to earn Czech citizenship, which she doesn't have yet. (...)

Now they have to wait whether they will manage to get Czech citizenship with the help of the Czech lawyers, which they have been trying to get for more than a year. (...)

'This administration process is still going on', replied the Czech Figure Skating federation to the question of ČTK (Czech press company)

And since Mansour and Češka are not training in Czech Republic but with Shpilband, and Courtney isn't able to speak Czech, I highly doubt she will get the citizenship.

Czech Republic has another ice dance pair, Nicole Kuzmichová and Alexandr Sinicin, but they are still competiting in juniors and mainly, Nicole was born in Canada so I doubt she has the Czech citizenship. They also don't train in Czech Republic so I guess Czech Republic may have to give up the spot. What's even worse in that case Reed and Ambrucelivius from Lithuania would get the spot, but Reed doesn't have the citizenship either. Then there is the Azerbajidian pair where neither of the pair is from Azerbaidian and then the Finnish, Törn and Partanen.

EDIT: some wrong info about Kuzmichová/Sinicyn, they are eligible.

Andrea82

Medalist
On Myslivečková/Csolley, I think the following article from Slovakia Olympic Committee includes a quote by Lukas on Lucie's passport. Well, google translated something regarding a passport. But the translation wasn't brilliant. Someone with better Slovak language skills may be helpful!

https://www.olympic.sk/aktuality-sov/tanecny-par-mysliveckova-csolley-postupil-na-zoh

Czech Republic has another ice dance pair, Nicole Kuzmichová and Alexandr Sinicin, but they are still competiting in juniors and mainly, Nicole was born in Canada so I doubt she has the Czech citizenship. They also don't train in Czech Republic so I guess Czech Republic may have to give up the spot.

Kuzmichova has the citizenship. Earlier this year Sinicyn posted on Instagram a pic with Kuzmichova's new passport.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPlrzOVAEWf/?taken-by=alex_sinicyn

Andrea82

Medalist

mrrice

Record Breaker
Vanessa holds French citizenship since 2009. She already took part to Olympics for France twice. She skated in Vancouver 2010 with Yannick Bonheur and at Sochi 2014 with Morgan Cipres.

Thanks Andrea82....She is so beautiful and they make a very smart couple.

nimi

Medalist
On Myslivečková/Csolley, I think the following article from Slovakia Olympic Committee includes a quote by Lukas on Lucie's passport. Well, google translated something regarding a passport. But the translation wasn't brilliant. Someone with better Slovak language skills may be helpful!

https://www.olympic.sk/aktuality-sov/tanecny-par-mysliveckova-csolley-postupil-na-zoh
Well, the English translation ("The closest we are waiting for the tackle with the Lucius passport") is still better than the Finnish one (something like "we encounter things belt Lucia") :scratch2: :laugh:

Hopefully we'll get more information soon...

nimi

Medalist
Oh dear... According to another article, he can try again only TWICE because he's failed that one part of the exam twice now and you can only take it 4 times in total... I'm getting a bit nervous for him again...

Dafür muss sich Massot aber auch abseits des Eises anstrengen. Noch fehlt dem Franzosen der für den Start in Korea erforderliche deutsche Pass, zwei von vier möglichen schriftlichen Sprachtests hat der 28-Jährige schon versemmelt.