Pairs/dance tricks in hold? | Golden Skate

Pairs/dance tricks in hold?

Is this “high Kilian hold”? A particularly high and wide version?

Is this it, too? (Square dance over-the-shoulder promenade position)

I once saw a video of a pairs couple (posted by gkelly?) doing a pairs Mazurka jump in this hold – I wouldn’t have thought that jumps in hold were possible. Are there any examples of amazing pairs/dance feats in that are done in hold?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Is this “high Kilian hold”? A particularly high and wide version?

Yes.

Here is the detailed description of the Yankee Polka pattern dance, which includes explanations of the partner holds throughout: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/YankeePolka.pdf

I once saw a video of a pairs couple (posted by gkelly?) doing a pairs Mazurka jump in this hold – I wouldn’t have thought that jumps in hold were possible. Are there any examples of amazing pairs/dance feats in that are done in hold?
Here are split jumps in hold, which I understood to be an old fashioned kind of move at the time. I think that kind of thing was more common more mid-20th century from that era. I'm sure I've seen other examples, but not that I paid enough attention to be able to find easily.

@Diana Delafield, can you help?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes.

Here is the detailed description of the Yankee Polka pattern dance, which includes explanations of the partner holds throughout: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/YankeePolka.pdf

Here are split jumps in hold, which I understood to be an old fashioned kind of move at the time. I think that kind of thing was more common more mid-20th century from that era. I'm sure I've seen other examples, but not that I paid enough attention to be able to find easily.

Jumps in hold were quite common for pairs skaters back in my era, the Ice Age, and very common in the generation before me, the 50s and 60s. For obvious reasons, you can only do no-revolution jumps, like the split Woetzel and Steuer are doing in the clip (haven't I seen Deanna and Max do that one? But of course, considering her age in her first career.......;)) The split is no different from doing spread eagles in back-to-front position (her back to his front, in other words), as long as you each keep your feet in line so you don't trip each other up, as can happen if one of you doesn't keep the hips tight and lets your feet drift a bit into a semi-Bauer. And not Russian splits, because you have to both stay upright, but the basic split jump anyway. Or you can do mazurkas holding hands, keeping far enough apart again so you don't risk getting the blades tangled up. Or you could do your sbs jump approach holding hands and doing a bunny hop, like track athletes doing a hop, skip and then jump to get buoyancy. I'm sorry to see those little moves lost. It made for variety in footwork or approaching another element -- we liked to do a split jump in hold and then down into a FI death spiral. I suppose that would count as yet another jump in the new marking system, though. Pity.

Yes.

Good grief! No wonder ice dance judging is such a specialized field. Many singles and pairs judges wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Oh, that's prettyl! Someone should bring that back.

Sad that Ingo Steuer's career was blemished by involvement in politics in his youth.

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Good grief! No wonder ice dance judging is such a specialized field. Many singles and pairs judges wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Oh, that's prettyl! Someone should bring that back.

Sad that Ingo Steuer's career was blemished by involvement in politics. in his youth.
The Yankee Polka is a beast of a dance. I went from laughing my head off at the ridiculousness of it to just hating it with a passion and attempting avoidance wherever possible.