Russian JrNats 24-26 Jan 2018 Common Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian JrNats 24-26 Jan 2018 Common Info

Grin

Medalist
I saw only the FS, and here was Vasileva clearly better than Shcherbakova. Vasileva won with 126.73, ahead of Kanysheva (126.49) and Shcherbakova (120.25). Especially Vasileva's speed in comparison to Shcherbakova was impressive.

Anya had some time to recover. I'm sure she will be better at JN

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I strongly suspect Konstantinova will become second Kostner in case she bombs :sarcasm: And even if not - her TES most likely will be much lower than other's - in other words huge "senior" PCS is a given. Trusova and Kostornaia can count upon decent pcs too (it's obvious they are pushed by RusFed now). Others wouldn't be so lucky, I am afraid.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I saw only the FS, and here was Vasileva clearly better than Shcherbakova. Vasileva won with 126.73, ahead of Kanysheva (126.49) and Shcherbakova (120.25). Especially Vasileva's speed in comparison to Shcherbakova was impressive.
Yes, I've actually seen all the skates in that competition. Shcherbakova won the SP with 63.33 points while Vasilieva scored 53.46. But for some reason that is far less important than Shcherbakova scoring 6 points less than her for a program with a fall? Hm... So for one skater we only count their successful program and for the other only the unsuccessful program.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's with Vasilieva's connecting footwork. Even though you say her speed was impressive, the connecting footwork is very simple overall. Even someone like Melkumova - from the same skating school - has far more complex footwork and she's 8 years old. I also just watched the programs 2 times and I don't see that "impressive speed" in comparison to Shcherbakova either. She actually was slower than Shcherbakova most of the time. Regardless, there's more to being better than speed - For instance, musical interpretation.

Then we get to the thing with this being just another competition for Vasilieva whereas it was the first competition since Anya's return - She's probably going to improve.

hanca

Record Breaker
Because she is only 17. Leonova was even with 18 World Junior Champion.

The same way Zagitova could do it too then. And I believe Medvedeva is still junior eligible too. One wonders why there would be the junior category if all junior eligible seniors decide to do both.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
The same way Zagitova could do it too then. And I believe Medvedeva is still junior eligible too. One wonders why there would be the junior category if all junior eligible seniors decide to do both.

It is not that unusual. For example Xiangning Li, Viveca Lindfors, Michaela-Lucie Hanzlikova, Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Angelina Kuchvalska, Ivett Toth, Anastasiya Galustyan, and Matilda Algotsson did it.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
It is not that unusual. For example Xiangning Li, Viveca Lindfors, Michaela-Lucie Hanzlikova, Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Angelina Kuchvalska, Ivett Toth, Anastasiya Galustyan, and Matilda Algotsson did it.

But all your examples from countries without competition. It can't be applied for the Russian ladies. 🙂

luckyguy

Match Penalty
But all your examples from countries without competition. It can't be applied for the Russian ladies. 🙂

It is correct, and that's why Zagitova, Medvedeva, and Sotskova do not participate at JWC. But Stasya Konstantinova was never at Senior ISU Championships. Leave the girl alone. She is a great skater!

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
It is correct, and that's why Zagitova, Medvedeva, and Sotskova do not participate at JWC. But Stasya Konstantinova was never at Senior ISU Championships. Leave the girl alone. She is a great skater!

No doubts about that. I have only claims for her coach or federation. She could easily compete at Rostelecom Cup instead of ABBA girl, or instead of Sakhanovich, or instead of Leonova. But why federation or her coach are keeping her in the junior cage - I have no idea. They do worse for her and for the other young talented girls.

hanca

Record Breaker

Yes, but the skaters you named are the only seniors in their country (or one of only few). They are relatively weaker/average seniors, some of them hardly qualify for FS at worlds, so doing additional junior events gives them extra chance to collect more points and move up in their ranking. If all seniors including top seniors who are age eligible (Medvedeva, Zagitova) attend both senior and junior events, junior category will become just another senior event.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Because their country didn't have good juniors to go!!

Azikin

Medalist
So the Olympic alternate is really going to skate alongside 13 year old girls? That's a bit weird..

luckyguy

Match Penalty
So the Olympic alternate is really going to skate alongside 13 year old girls? That's a bit weird..

No, it is not weird. The Junior category was made for 13 to 19 year old skaters. Some people seem to think, only 13 to 15 year old skaters should be allowed to participate. Btw, Konstantinova is a late starter, and it is only her 2nd international season as a Junior.

alvina9894

Final Flight
This really is a curious thing to say, considering that Shcherbakova defeated Vasilieva at Cup of Moscow - That while obviously performing below her usual standards. Shcherbakova might not be able to compete for a jr worlds spot at this point in time, but if she happened to have 2 clean skates her potential for a high score is still very good. If that were to occur, I wonder how her PCS would compare to Tarakanova, Kostornaia and Trusova.

Shcherbakova skating clean has 38+72 TES potential, which just with PCS in the realm of 30+60 would be enough for 200+ total points, and I believe that this is a very conservative PCS estimate for her.

I think 30+60 would be stretching it. It is not very conservative, but on the contrary, rather generous, considering that was the PCS Trusova and Kostornaia got in JGPF.
I understand that you favour Shcherbakova, but subjective "music interpretation" aside, she really needs to work on her footwork, particularly her technique during turns. From what I see her free leg tends to swing like a tree branch during turns, which is an indication that she could not gain speed effectively during these transitions. Compared to the top skaters in this competition, she has way too many crossovers in her program to be scored high in the SS & TR category. Also, since PCS nowadays takes into account of the reputation of a skater, it would be difficult for Shcherbakova to get 30+60 without medalling in bigger events in the past, unless she introduces a quad to her programme, or is loved by the Fed like Konstantinova.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I disagree.
It's Nationals, so the PCS will be higher. Have you seen Konstantinova's PCS from Nationals? I daresay she has more crossovers in her free than Anna does in both programs and she got high PCS. Anna also has good transitions. Gaining speed during them isn't part of the TR bullet and is kind of subjective. She's also coming back from a broken leg, for goodness' sake, and you expect her to be perfect already? Anna consistently puts out good performances when uninjured and even though she's never competed outside of Russia (at least not as a junior) she's got a pretty good reputation domestically. She also interprets her music quite well and is such a charming performer--she's one of those skaters you could watch without the music because she just draws you in so well.

Funny how my 2000th post was defending Anna :)
Some things never change, like my love of Eteri's girls :biggrin:

Go kick butt in jr nationals, Anna, Anastasia, Alena, Daria, and Alexandra!!

- - - Updated - - -

No, it is not weird. The Junior category was made for 13 to 19 year old skaters. Some people seem to think, only 13 to 15 year old skaters should be allowed to participate. Btw, Konstantinova is a late starter, and it is only her 2nd international season as a Junior.

Sasha Cohen was a late starter and competed in seniors at 16.
Same with Mai Mihara...
Just food for thought.

alvina9894

Final Flight
I disagree.
It's Nationals, so the PCS will be higher. Have you seen Konstantinova's PCS from Nationals? I daresay she has more crossovers in her free than Anna does in both programs and she got high PCS. Anna also has good transitions. Gaining speed during them isn't part of the TR bullet and is kind of subjective. She's also coming back from a broken leg, for goodness' sake, and you expect her to be perfect already? Anna consistently puts out good performances when uninjured and even though she's never competed outside of Russia (at least not as a junior) she's got a pretty good reputation domestically. She also interprets her music quite well and is such a charming performer--she's one of those skaters you could watch without the music because she just draws you in so well.

Funny how my 2000th post was defending Anna :)
Some things never change, like my love of Eteri's girls [emoji3]

Go kick butt in jr nationals, Anna, Anastasia, Alena, Daria, and Alexandra!!

- - - Updated - - -

Sasha Cohen was a late starter and competed in seniors at 16.
Same with Mai Mihara...
Just food for thought.
You might want to finish reading my comment before replying. I believe I have mentioned that she would not get high PCS unless she is loved by the fed like Konstantinova. In fact, we all know that 70+ PCS in Konstantinova's free is an unexplained outlier of the general thumb of rule in terms of junior PCS in Nationals. However you do remind me of PCS inflation in domestic events. If the JGP medalists are getting 33+65 in JrNats, then it would be reasonable for Shcherbakova to score 30+60.

Yes, gaining speed during TR is not a bullet point, but flow, good use of knee and ankle, quality of steps and turns, varied speed and acceleration are definitely bullet point for SS. Allow me to clarify, the need of whipping around her free leg during turns to gain the momentum required to execute the TR does reflect poor use of knee, interrupts flow of footwork, and affects speed of footwork while she cannot crossover to accelerate during StSq.

I'd rather not comment on her abilities to interpret music. That's a very subjective thing and I find myself unable to enjoy her program as I keep looking at her feet.

I'd advice you to compare Gubanova's footwork with Shcherbakova's. That shall tell you what Anna is currently lacking, be it pre- or post-injury.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Well I think our discussion might be over if you want to compare Gubanova with Shcherbakova...

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
You might want to finish reading my comment before replying. I believe I have mentioned that she would not get high PCS unless she is loved by the fed like Konstantinova. In fact, we all know that 70+ PCS in Konstantinova's free is an unexplained outlier of the general thumb of rule in terms of junior PCS in Nationals. However you do remind me of PCS inflation in domestic events. If the JGP medalists are getting 33+65 in JrNats, then it would be reasonable for Shcherbakova to score 30+60.

Yes, gaining speed during TR is not a bullet point, but flow, good use of knee and ankle, quality of steps and turns, varied speed and acceleration are definitely bullet point for SS. Allow me to clarify, the need of whipping around her free leg during turns to gain the momentum required to execute the TR does reflect poor use of knee, interrupts flow of footwork, and affects speed of footwork while she cannot crossover to accelerate during StSq.

I'd rather not comment on her abilities to interpret music. That's a very subjective thing and I find myself unable to enjoy her program as I keep looking at her feet.

I'd advice you to compare Gubanova's footwork with Shcherbakova's. That shall tell you what Anna is currently lacking, be it pre- or post-injury.

Agree. Shcherbakova's weakness it's her spins and skating skills, in her previous SP it was pretty visible that her skating skills are average there, but FP somehow was giving another expression. This season, after injury, and her FP started to look weak if we take a look at her footwork. But I guess it's question of time, but still it won't be the same level as Gubanova's or Tarakanova's.