Russia's Elizaveta Nugumanova stays motivated despite heavy field | Golden Skate

Russia's Elizaveta Nugumanova stays motivated despite heavy field

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Nugumanova’s next competition is the Final of the National Russian Cup series February 27 to March 2 in Moscow. This is where the last spots for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships will be decided. The Russian Figure Skating Federation announced at Nationals that they selected only the National Champions for the World team as several top skaters had missed Nationals due to illness or were not in good shape due to health problems.

Alexandra Trusova, who was third at Nationals, is not competing next weekend due to injury. According to her coach, Evgeni Plushenko, she is preparing for Worlds. Therefore, Trusova will most likely be on the team together with National Champion Anna Shcherbakova which leaves one spot open. Nugumanova will be competing against Tuktamysheva and European Champion Alena Kostornaia for this spot, but it will be very tough. Nevertheless, the skater is determined to fight.

“I hope that I can go to Worlds,” Nugumanova summed up. “I went through so much and really hope it works out and I can go.”

She has certainly come a long way since her 14th-place finish at Russian Nats last year. What are your thoughts on her progress since last season despite there only being three events (Rostelecom Cup, Cup of Russia series, and Nats)?

brakes

On the Ice
Her skating two programs in the most important competition of the season with one underrotation overall says it all about her progress.
She obviously technically improved, while being artistically top level since forever. The view of genuine love to the sport emanating with her smile in every performance helps as well. I wish her all the best in RusCup Final, hope for her great performance and honest judging. :pray: :cheer2:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Her skating two programs in the most important competition of the season with one underrotation overall says it all about her progress.
She obviously technically improved, while being artistically top level since forever. The view of genuine love to the sport emanating with her smile in every performance helps as well. I wish her all the best in RusCup Final, hope for her great performance and honest judging. :pray: :cheer2:

She has made nice strides this year but her scores do not bear that out. Little Liza needs bigger scores. She barely broke 200 points at Russian nationals with wonderful performances and that's a joke. No Way was 18 year old Liza 26 points behind 14 year old Dasha who as good as she is at 14 lacks any ultra jumps. Dasha may have been a little better than Nugu at rusnats but not 26 points better. Didnt Nugu finish 7 points behind Maya at Rusnats? Hmmm. Coaching and reputation matter and Lizas coach seems more intrested in male skaters yet he has some beautiful lady skaters.

Sometimes I wonder why some of these ladies who have no future in Russian figure skating don't transfer to other countries so they can skate in a Europeans worlds or maybe even a limp IX for Estonia or Lithuania or Finland or Sweden and so on and so on.

Liza could skate the best of her career at The Russian cup final but it will hard for her to score above 205 points. This event is mostly about alyona and lyza T and who goes to worlds. Oh and Kamila too. ;)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sometimes I wonder why some of these ladies who have no future in Russian figure skating don't transfer to other countries so they can skate in a Europeans worlds or maybe even a limp IX for Estonia or Lithuania or Finland or Sweden and so on and so on.
I'm not sure it's as easy as all that. Plus don't skaters who switch countries purely for competing often get flak for it? I can't imagine the Russian skating fans looking too kindly on it, after all Zhenya Med was scorned for simply going to Canada with no suggestion she'd ever switch countries.

Plus I can't see the Russian Figure Skating Fed making it easy. Can't they refuse to release a skater for years?

Scott512

Record Breaker
I'm not sure it's as easy as all that. Plus don't skaters who switch countries purely for competing often get flak for it? I can't imagine the Russian skating fans looking too kindly on it, after all Zhenya Med was scorned for simply going to Canada with no suggestion she'd ever switch countries.

Plus I can't see the Russian Figure Skating Fed making it easy. Can't they refuse to release a skater for years?
As far as I know it's 2 years without an International event and then you can transfer.
The reality is there are just too many girls who don't need to be done with figure skating at 18 that can go to other countries and compete. Why in the world would anyone hold them back? I mean we're talking about tier 3 or tear for Russian ladies here. Not the top 6 to 8 girls.

I don't think anyone would think any of the Nastyas for instance would be traitors to Russia if they went to Lithuania or Estonia or Holland to continue their careers competitively. That would be very unfair as was the treatment of Zhenya when she wept to go train in Canada not change citizenship.
That was crazy because for 20 years or so Russia has had athletes leave Russia to go live and train elsewhere and that's all Zhenya did too.

Transferring definitely won't be an easy process but it can be done and I recently read somewhere that a Russian pairs team or dance team has moved to Holland and will represent Holland.

Amei

Record Breaker

Some have, Kurakova and Ryabova are both skating for different countries, if you look at the 2020 Rostelecom Cup there were 6 countries represented however with the exception of Alina Urushadze (Georgia) and Eva-Lotta Kiibus (Estonia) all of the skaters were originally from Russia. But I don't think it's necessarily easy to leave a Fed, plus at probably the peak time to leave and compete for another country the skaters are usually minors so if there are residency requirements to become a citizen for that country that could mean a parent having to give up their job and move to another country. Plus in terms of the Russian skaters, there's not only the 'national' team but I believe there is also a St. Petersburg team that helps financially support skaters, I believe that was said why Konstantinova was still listed as skating for St. Petersburg even though she was training in Moscow.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Some have, Kurakova and Ryabova are both skating for different countries, if you look at the 2020 Rostelecom Cup there were 6 countries represented however with the exception of Alina Urushadze (Georgia) and Eva-Lotta Kiibus (Estonia) all of the skaters were originally from Russia. But I don't think it's necessarily easy to leave a Fed, plus at probably the peak time to leave and compete for another country the skaters are usually minors so if there are residency requirements to become a citizen for that country that could mean a parent having to give up their job and move to another country. Plus in terms of the Russian skaters, there's not only the 'national' team but I believe there is also a St. Petersburg team that helps financially support skaters, I believe that was said why Konstantinova was still listed as skating for St. Petersburg even though she was training in Moscow.
Interesting. Well I think if some people in a city or paying you to skate and then you should be announced as being from that city as you pointed out with stanislava and Saint Petersburg even though she's been in Moscow for the last year.

Before she skates KV is announced as being Moscow which is ridiculous when she's from Kazan.

The girls I'm thinking of transferring are 18 and over.. I'm surprised we haven't seen more changes of countries for the ladies but as you said probably is not easy.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Interesting. Well I think if some people in a city or paying you to skate and then you should be announced as being from that city as you pointed out with stanislava and Saint Petersburg even though she's been in Moscow for the last year.

Before she skates KV is announced as being Moscow which is ridiculous when she's from Kazan.

The girls I'm thinking of transferring are 18 and over.. I'm surprised we haven't seen more changes of countries for the ladies but as you said probably is not easy.

It's not the city you are from. It is the city your club is in. Kamila represents Sambo 70 therefore Moscow. Stanislava still represents her St. Petersburg club even though she trains in Moscow. Same thing in US, Camden Pulkinen Represents the Broadmoor Figure Skating Club in CO even though he is From AZ

Scott512

Record Breaker
It's not the city you are from. It is the city your club is in. Kamila represents Sambo 70 therefore Moscow. Stanislava still represents her St. Petersburg club even though she trains in Moscow. Same thing in US, Camden Pulkinen Represents the Broadmoor Figure Skating Club in CO even though he is From AZ
I suppose.

Flippertoice

Spectator
Also if a skater transfers to a country with little depth or international level talent it helps skaters native to the country push themselves more to do the more difficult jumps and combos having a competitor to try and stay competitive with, so can be a win-win for the transferring for the transferring skater and the federation they move to.
She's so underappreciated I hope she does well

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“This is her big advantage,” said Rukavitsin. “She honestly enjoys what she is doing and she does not think ‘if I can fight only for fourth place, what is the sense of it?.She goes out on to the ice because she wants to say something through her skating and wants to leave a trace in the soul of the spectators and in the hearts of her fans. She has many fans and they love her. She is a personality that is of interest for the audience and she brings something warm and light with her skating. This is her motivation and this is the right one.

These are the things I noticed about Nugumanova when I watched her skates from Russian Nationals. This describes why I and others enjoyed her skating so much. This is a great motivation for skating and so important that each skater stands for what he or she values.

Trusova is a very appealing skater and her motivation apparently is to do jumps, as many and difficult as possible. The sport of figure skating also needs skaters who are equally passionate about the expressive side of skating.

I'm surprised that the discussion so far centers on whether Nugumanova should try competing for another European country, but I'd like to see her do so if she's inclined that direction, because she's such a pleasure to watch and I'd like to be watching her for a long time.

Scott512

Record Breaker
“This is her big advantage,” said Rukavitsin. “She honestly enjoys what she is doing and she does not think ‘if I can fight only for fourth place, what is the sense of it?.She goes out on to the ice because she wants to say something through her skating and wants to leave a trace in the soul of the spectators and in the hearts of her fans. She has many fans and they love her. She is a personality that is of interest for the audience and she brings something warm and light with her skating. This is her motivation and this is the right one.

These are the things I noticed about Nugumanova when I watched her skates from Russian Nationals. This describes why I and others enjoyed her skating so much. This is a great motivation for skating and so important that each skater stands for what he or she values.

Trusova is a very appealing skater and her motivation apparently is to do jumps, as many and difficult as possible. The sport of figure skating also needs skaters who are equally passionate about the expressive side of skating.

I'm surprised that the discussion so far centers on whether Nugumanova should try competing for another European country, but I'd like to see her do so if she's inclined that direction, because she's such a pleasure to watch and I'd like to be watching her for a long time.
Great comments by her coach.

But with all the Russian girl munchkin monsters coming up in the next couple years ;) it's going to put the squeeze on girls like her Maria T and all the Nastyas. Will any of them be skating past the age of 20 competitively? I have my doubts although Liza certainly could do it.

Nugu may have to move to another country. Little Liza is a beautiful skater and a super charming girl but she's never going to get the scores to compete with the upper echelon Russian ladies. None of Rukavicins girls will and they are all beautiful skatera. I thought Nugu and Maria T were lowballed at rusnats. thats ever going to change. But its wonderful to watch them skate.

Amei

Record Breaker
Also if a skater transfers to a country with little depth or international level talent it helps skaters native to the country push themselves more to do the more difficult jumps and combos having a competitor to try and stay competitive with, so can be a win-win for the transferring for the transferring skater and the federation they move to.
She's so underappreciated I hope she does well

Can you provide an example of where a country with little depth was improved sustainably with 'native' skaters improving after a skater from a deep country transferred in?

macy

Record Breaker
Can you provide an example of where a country with little depth was improved sustainably with 'native' skaters improving after a skater from a deep country transferred in?
I'm not sure of a present example of this, but it makes sense. i'm from the US- if a top 10 Russian lady transferred to the US, no doubt the other ladies would step their game up because she is a threat. in other countries where skating is not super high level, this skater would be taking in many cases their only spot. if the others want to boot her off the top then they need to step their game up. it increases the level of competitiveness within that country.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I'm not sure of a present example of this, but it makes sense. i'm from the US- if a top 10 Russian lady transferred to the US, no doubt the other ladies would step their game up because she is a threat. in other countries where skating is not super high level, this skater would be taking in many cases their only spot. if the others want to boot her off the top then they need to step their game up. it increases the level of competitiveness within that country.

Agreed. The fact is many countries could use one of the Russian ladies even 1 or 2 without the ultra jumps. Nugumanova should leave Russia with a couple of the Nastyas. Especially if they go to a country where they would receive funding.. Certainly Canada could use some of these Russian girls or at least one of them but if they require the Russian girl to pay out of pocket for coaching and then that's going nowhere because these kids can't afford that.

Did anybody ever read the story about how the parents of Nastya T spent so much money on or career? It was a staggering number and it confused me because I thought the skaters for the Russian federation had their training paid for with funding.

Amei

Record Breaker
Agreed. The fact is many countries could use one of the Russian ladies even 1 or 2 without the ultra jumps. Nugumanova should leave Russia with a couple of the Nastyas. Especially if they go to a country where they would receive funding.. Certainly Canada could use some of these Russian girls or at least one of them but if they require the Russian girl to pay out of pocket for coaching and then that's going nowhere because these kids can't afford that.

Did anybody ever read the story about how the parents of Nastya T spent so much money on or career? It was a staggering number and it confused me because I thought the skaters for the Russian federation had their training paid for with funding.

I think it depends on whether you are on the National team or not. Not sure about past seasons, but this year she is not on the main or reserve team for seniors or juniors. Its unlikely she gets on the team this year since she finished 14th at Sr. Nationals.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think it depends on whether you are on the National team or not. Not sure about past seasons, but this year she is not on the main or reserve team for seniors or juniors. Its unlikely she gets on the team this year since she finished 14th at Sr. Nationals.
It's got to be brutal on the families to spend so much money on their kids and then they don't make it as fabulous as they are.

No national team for nastya T. I hope she and some other girls can save their careers and compete longer but that remains to be seen.