2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 72 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimR

On the Ice
They would never let a skater like Samo go to another country. She's only 16 and may get her ultra jumps back once through puberty. Is Liza B and Anna F they should transfer.

Anastasia should have gone to Valentine's Day show no matter what Georgia said. I just won you European's go have some fun on Valentine's Day. Figure skating is supposed to be about love but all we've seen is hate the last few years.

As for nastia it would be unlikely she would have won Europeans if the 3 Russians were there but Anna was not going to be there because of knee surgery Sasha was who knows where at that point with the coaching change and being unmotivated and having a back injury. KV would have been suspended for the year most likely. Who would have been at euros? Liza Letro and maybe Mura.

Speaking of Adelia I would go to Armenia and let her have dual citizenship with Armenia for 1 or 2 seasons and let her develop on the International level. With the agreement that she comes back to russia as soon as Russia is back. The level of ladies figure skating was extremely mediocre last year without the Russians I hope we see an improvement this year. But the judges trashed the skaters all season long. So many scores for the podium under 200.
There surely could be some kind of understanding with Armenia we let her perform for Armenia at Europeans and Worlds and let her destroy the competition, but allow her to compete in the rest of the Russian domestic season. Sure she would win every gold at ISU, but beating Sakamoto and Levito would not be satisfying like beating the two best skaters on the planet Akatieva and Valieva.

Right now, winning a world championship in women's or pairs is like winning a major in tennis if Djokovic is banned from competing. It's a little hollow.

Amei

Record Breaker
There's no way that some weird backroom deal to let a skater, like Petrosyan compete domestically for Russia and then internationally for Armenia wouldn't blow up in the faces of everyone involved. And its unlikely Petrosyan would somehow agree to compete for Armenia and then switch back when Russia is allowed to compete internationally - ISU rules require an athlete sit out 1 year of international competitions when they change countries. Any skater that switches out while Russia is banned is unlikely going to switch back, so any switches will likely be considered permanent in the eyes of the Fed so i doubt they let top skaters go unless said skater/family has considerable leverage within the Fed.

Regarding Gubanova while yes I think its a weird set of standards that she can live/train in Russia but absolutely can't do shows, she shouldn't go against the Georgian Fed they are the ones that gave her an opportunity to compete internationally, and what would she be trading it for? Some money for maybe a few shows (don't know what her commitment was beyond the 1 show) back to 10th+ place finishes competing domestically in Russia

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
There surely could be some kind of understanding with Armenia we let her perform for Armenia at Europeans and Worlds and let her destroy the competition, but allow her to compete in the rest of the Russian domestic season. Sure she would win every gold at ISU, but beating Sakamoto and Levito would not be satisfying like beating the two best skaters on the planet Akatieva and Valieva.

Right now, winning a world championship in women's or pairs is like winning a major in tennis if Djokovic is banned from competing. It's a little hollow.
I agree with you on winning the tennis grand slam without the goat. As for petro make her a dual citizen and maybe she can pull off what you eye issue would not stand for that. So make her an armenia citizen for a year or 2. With the understanding she returns to Russia. but nobody thinks out of the Box with the Russian Figure skating federation. I am so sorry such great talent is surrounded by dinosaurs from the 1950s. I wish they could overthrow the rusfed.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel

Completely agree. There would not be anyone she coudn't beat easily. Not a fan of current USA skaters (I adored Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen but this was a million years ago),Kaori Sakamoto is local here in Japan and she's a very lovely person, great skater but Kami is just another, way, way higher level of awesomeness (and skaters here also admire and are huge fans of Russian skaters). ISU competitions are going to be very boring, in my humble opinion. I'll be enjoying Russian competitions as always.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Alexandra Trusova, Anna Shcherbakova, Maiia Khromykh, Veronika Yametova have been added to the senior reserve. Alisa Dvoeglazova and Taisia Korobitsina have been added to the junior reserve.
The Reserve List makes sense to me… I was praying Veronika and Kseniia would both make it. Love these two ladies with no ultra-c elements. Glad Veronika made it. I just wish they had Kseniia in lieu of Anna S. She probably needs the funding more 😭

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Yeah, it's Russia, baby! We could make another national team out of the notable skaters who were left out of the national team. Sinitsyna, Gushchina, Frolova, Samodelkina can look for sponsors themselves. No quads, no trixels, you're not from the province - no team, no money :rolleye:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Alexandra Trusova, Anna Shcherbakova, Maiia Khromykh, Veronika Yametova have been added to the senior reserve. Alisa Dvoeglazova and Taisia Korobitsina have been added to the junior reserve.
How does it work? I wonder what are the criteria.
Why Khromykh and Shcherbakova are in the reserve team while they didn't compete last season, but Samodelkina or Guschina who competed aren't in the reserve?
Do the previous results count for two seasons?

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
How does it work? I wonder what are the criteria.
Why Khromykh and Shcherbakova are in the reserve team while they didn't compete last season, but Samodelkina or Guschina who competed aren't in the reserve?
The reserve team is basically skaters who didn't qualify to the main team but the Fed wants to support them. And it's often strong skaters who couldn't compete for some reason.

In the past, skaters with health problems were often added to the reserve so that the fed could officially fund their treatment.

Last edited:

JimR

On the Ice
I assume Trusova and Shcherbakova have been selected after giving an assurance of competing in all events through the season.

Otherwise I'm quite offended by their selection. I think both have no intention of competing for a full season. Trusova especially. She couldn't handle the potential humiliation of giving 100% and being beaten so didn't prepare, was completely out of shape, pulled last minute injury excuses at most events.

Khromykh is also strange maybe they were worried about her defecting or this is politics because I would have more faith in Samodelkina delivering a quad this year than Khromykh who never had stability even at her peak 18 months ago.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I assume Trusova and Shcherbakova have been selected after giving an assurance of competing in all events through the season.

Otherwise I'm quite offended by their selection. I think both have no intention of competing for a full season. Trusova especially. She couldn't handle the potential humiliation of giving 100% and being beaten so didn't prepare, was completely out of shape, pulled last minute injury excuses at most events.

Khromykh is also strange maybe they were worried about her defecting or this is politics because I would have more faith in Samodelkina delivering a quad this year than Khromykh who never had stability even at her peak 18 months ago.

Zagitova was on the main national team in the 2020-2021 season, this was after she had done her big "I'm taking a break" interview so its not that out of the ordinary for semi-retired/have focus elsewhere to be included on the team.

While I'm a little surprised at Khromykh being on the team, I don't think Samodelkina is any better, she was inconsistent last year, I felt like she got worse as the season went on. I've got more faith in Eter turning out Khromykh better than I do sokolovskaya with Samodelkina

katymay

Medalist
Completely agree. There would not be anyone she coudn't beat easily. Not a fan of current USA skaters (I adored Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen but this was a million years ago),Kaori Sakamoto is local here in Japan and she's a very lovely person, great skater but Kami is just another, way, way higher level of awesomeness (and skaters here also admire and are huge fans of Russian skaters). ISU competitions are going to be very boring, in my humble opinion. I'll be enjoying Russian competitions as always.
Worlds (Montreal) is driving distance for me, And last time around I had good tickets for the Worlds that was COVID cancelled. This year though, without the Russian ladies and pairs,.....just not worth the money and time. If something changes I'll try to score some last minute tickets, but I don't see that happening

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Worlds (Montreal) is driving distance for me, And last time around I had good tickets for the Worlds that was COVID cancelled. This year though, without the Russian ladies and pairs,.....just not worth the money and time. If something changes I'll try to score some last minute tickets, but I don't see that happening
I agree, I wouldn't spend a cent going to watch any competition that doesn't include Team Russia. I'm going to watch Mao Asada's "Beyond" ice show on the 15th next month because the venue is so close to me here in Tokyo and I really, really like her, but my heart is with team Russia, I've traveled to go watch them in person and would travel again in a heartbeat, no matter if it's a competition, ice show, gala, it's always amazing, especially Team Tutberidze. Kami is my favorite, and yes, I'm a mega fan, I even keep a signed photo in my skate bag 😅

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia

I think that the national team was formed according to the criteria of sports achievements (1-6), and the reserve - based on the former merits and media publicity (7-10). The federation cannot decide whether we really live in isolation or expect a return. In this regard, the experience of Maya Khromykh, who has achievements in the adult grand prix, is taken into account, as are the her quads. Of course, this is the last season, received in advance for her, like to Daniil Samsonov last season. Anna and Aleksandra get paid for Olympic medals, a common RusFed practice. It looks doubtful and sticky for me getting Yametova into the reserve, because she loses RusNat to Sinitsyna, and FGPR to Gushchina. But this is also a matter of politics, it is necessary to demonstrate that the regional sport is developing no worse than the sport in the capital. However, knowing Yametova's hard situation in her town, I understand the reasons why she was chosen.

It's a pity for the girls, who fought fair and took places, and in the end were left without support. We need a second women's team and maybe a second men's team to support all the really worthy. Since RusFed has no legal grounds to declare such a project, and transfers abroad are not the best solution to the problem, it would be great to attract private support. If the top 10 or top 15 athletes at the end of the season received, for example, a scholarship from private sponsors, it would greatly increase the motivation of the participants.

Last edited:

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
It looks doubtful and sticky for me getting Yametova into the reserve, because she loses RusNat to Sinitsyna, and FGPR to Gushchina.
She didn't lose to Sinitsyna, she was 7th. That's why she is in the reserve.
It's a pity for the girls, who fought fair and took places, and in the end were left without support. We need a second women's team and maybe a second men's team to support all the really worthy.
I was thinking about it during Nats. There're more skaters who deserve a place in the national team than the number of places.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
She didn't lose to Sinitsyna, she was 7th. That's why she is in the reserve.

I was thinking about it during Nats. There're more skaters who deserve a place in the national team than the number of places.
Okay, my mistake, although the difference is not great. For me, the difference between the three girls is minimal. There is no ultras, there is good beautiful skating. Ksyusha S. with a great artistry, but makes mistakes and is injured many times, Ksyusha G. is stable and athletic, but slightly worse in presentation, Yametova skates faster than everyone else, generally stable, but for me it is too provincial style (I can't describe it, I watch too many provincial competitions, I see the difference). 7th, 8th, 10th place isn't really that significant (all it's not 6th place). None of them have met the requirements to get into the national team core, the requirements to get into the reserve are the decision of the coaching board. As I said above, Yametova needs it more than anyone else, and indeed, if she beat everyone at RusNat, that's one of the arguments in her favor.

I worry that this will cause a loss of motivation for Ania Frolova or Ksenia Sinitsyna, it's hard to do figure skating without the support of sponsors. Of course they will be on the Moscow team, like Gushchina is on the St. Petersburg team, but that's a lot less funding.

Last edited:

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
It's a pity for the girls, who fought fair and took places, and in the end were left without support. We need a second women's team and maybe a second men's team to support all the really worthy. Since RusFed has no legal grounds to declare such a project, and transfers abroad are not the best solution to the problem, it would be great to attract private support. If the top 10 or top 15 athletes at the end of the season received, for example, a scholarship from private sponsors, it would greatly increase the motivation of the participants.
Precisely.
The talent and quality of Russian skaters is extraordinary. While is understandable that not all can make it to the national team and be funded as such, with the amount of amazing skaters, so, so many excellent skaters, Russia does indeed need a 2nd women's team. To be quite honest I don't follow any other discipline as closely and many details as I follow women's events and skaters, and I wouldn't even be surprised if even a 3rd team is in place. As you said, private sponsors/funding would make a whole difference in making this possible. Transfer abroad would also be a pity, best to retain the talent domestically. Private support is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.