Season 2023-24 costume discussion | Golden Skate

Season 2023-24 costume discussion

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Are there any costume change suggestions? If yes, why in your opinion these costumes are not suitable? Why different costumes would work better for the particular skater or program?

What are the good examples of costume choice this season? What in your opinion are suitable costumes worth mentioning, or even worth to be called "pieces of art"?

icewhite

Record Breaker
You're very early with this! I have only seen a couple of programs so far... still working on my off-season best costumes post...

One thought of mine: not so much terrible nude mesh in the neckline area, that's nice - but maybe it will change when the skaters get paler again and the fabric doesn't 😀 - lots of terrible greyish tights that don't fit the skin tone or the other nude parts of the costume, though...

Haven't seen a costume that really stood out positively yet, but I did like Hana Yoshida's white long arm piece and Egawa's SP dress, although not my personal preference, was lovely and worked well.

Apart from that there were, like always, some training outfits which I wouldn't mind to be kept... since the actual costume will likely look worse...

Oh, wait, there was one costume among the Russian girls which was... ehm, hopefully to be replaced, but I don't even remember who it was.

Mostly very average, okayish costumes so far?

rabidline

Final Flight
The season had barely started 😆

But because I just- really just watched her a few minutes ago... I hope Maria Egawa finds a new dress deserving of her lovely O FS program.

icewhite

Record Breaker
The season had barely started 😆

But because I just- really just watched her a few minutes ago... I hope Maria Egawa finds a new dress deserving of her lovely O FS program.

Just watched it as well and it was my first thought to come here and express this!! It reminds me of pampers...

Higuchi's FS dress is a mess and needs to be replaced as well, though...

rabidline

Final Flight
Just watched it as well and it was my first thought to come here and express this!! It reminds me of pampers...

Higuchi's FS dress is a mess and needs to be replaced as well, though...
Maria's FS dress reminds me of a key lime pie 😂 but I'm okay mostly with it if she hadn't skated last year to a Les Miserables FS wearing the same dress. I'm giving Wakaba a free pass, she's just coming back after a year of hiatus, so far seeing her skate and mostly land her jumps is enough, the dress(es) can improve later 😅

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Good examples: Hana Yoshida’s FS, which has the theme ‘crane’ (the use of different color gloves to highlight the details of hand gestures is very interesting); Kaori Sakamoto’s FS - simple in design, yet elegant. [*both from Gensan summer trophy]

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
You're very early with this!
I thought I was running late. My YouTube suggestions tab is already crowded with program premieres :biggrin:

Then on the other side, that early in the season almost every costume can in theory be replaced. So, we have space to dream a bit ;)

And now I'm off to check out that controversial Egawa's dress 🤓... ETA: I wish, but it can't be seen on YouTube.

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You're very early with this! I have only seen a couple of programs so far... still working on my off-season best costumes post...

One thought of mine: not so much terrible nude mesh in the neckline area, that's nice - but maybe it will change when the skaters get paler again and the fabric doesn't 😀 - lots of terrible greyish tights that don't fit the skin tone or the other nude parts of the costume, though...
There is never any excuse for terrible nude mesh that doesn't match the skater's skin tone - or at least tights! I can get mesh and lycra in 36 different skin tones from the darkest coffee to "milk bottle" so everybody should have a decent match.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Did someone say costumes and not mention the beautiful dresses of Team Korea? The nerve. How dare you. :laugh:

So far only the juniors have revealed their costumes, but already we have so many beautiful dresses. Some personal favorites so far:

Kim Yuseong, FS
Han Heesue, FS
Lee Eun, SP
Kim Jinny (of Kim/Lee), FD

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Did someone say costumes and not mention the beautiful dresses of Team Korea? The nerve. How dare you. :laugh:

So far only the juniors have revealed their costumes, but already we have so many beautiful dresses. Some personal favorites so far:

Kim Yuseong, FS
Han Heesue, FS
Lee Eun, SP
Kim Jinny (of Kim/Lee), FD
Yes! I watched some of the recent videos and as always, they are a treat.

I am also looking forward to seeing what Satomi Ito does this year - I bought and love some of her books.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
There is never any excuse for terrible nude mesh that doesn't match the skater's skin tone - or at least tights! I can get mesh and lycra in 36 different skin tones from the darkest coffee to "milk bottle" so everybody should have a decent match.
this should be set in stone :biggrin: "I can get mesh and lycra in 36 different skin tones, what's your excuse?"

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
One of the things we could discuss is why the guys are so fond of all black costumes but - at least this year, now I've noticed it I can't unsee it 🫣 - hardly any of them seem to have discovered the magic trick (aka a good dye job) to have the same damn shade of black top and bottom.

It's weirdly distracting :palmf: