Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Ladies Short Program

That's exactly what I have trouble with. It's not so much whether I like the music but rather it is a distraction to watching the skating, as are the frantic arms, even as I see that she is doing her elements very well, ticking them off one by one.

Frantic arms are a perfect match for frantic music. I thought Gracie interpreted the heck out of it. :yes:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Frantic arms are a perfect match for frantic music. I thought Gracie interpreted the heck out of it. :yes:

But the franticness of the arms should go with the franticness of the music! They didn't match. Carolina could probably interpret the heck out of this piece of music.

flying camel

Medalist
I thought Gracie was wonderful. I liked the music, choreography, everything. She has so much confidence out there. She was a scared little rabbit last year. She has really matured. I hope she can have a good LP.

She does look like she has lost a lot of weight.

What was with the bow. I thought that was a bit much.

Also, Christina was just lovely. I thought she could have scored a little higher. The American girls are finally bringing it. How long have we waited? I felt like I was watching nationals.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There were two judges who gave Gracie much higher PCS than to Akiko. One of them gave 6.75 to Akiko and 8.50 to Gracie for interpretation. :mad:

A total joke. Akiko's interpretation is the best--and I'm including Mao and Yu Na.

lmarie086

Medalist
Hmm. Thus far I've only watched Gracie and I have to say, she looks much more composed, grown up compared to last season. As much as my ears found the music to be distasteful, I appreciate that she didn't use twinkly-princess music; it wouldn't have suited her style well at all. I watched Gracie and Ashley from last week back-to-back, and I do have to say that I preferred Ashley. Gracie might have superior SS, but Ashley's are nothing to sneeze at IMO. And Ashley has much better interpretation than Gracie does at this point, with purposeful movements across the ice. But it's clear that Frank Carroll is having a very good influence indeed on Gracie. Job well done to the team.

US Nationals are going to be intense. I am loving this season so far! Now, off to watch the other ladies :)

Selene

On the Ice
Gracie was way overscored. That music is horrid, and she still looks like a windmill with her arm flailing. She was majorly gifted in PCS.

Also, Frank is clearly advising her to starve herself. Her legs look like toothpicks now. She’s lost her muscle definition and power along with it. Her jumps are now Julia Lipnitskaia-quality. That 2A was especially horrid. She may have landed her poor quality jumps, but she’s lost the jumps that made her special.

SGrand

Final Flight
Gracie has to skate last in the LP with everyone watching!

Hahaha! Of course everyone will be watching, they're not going to leave just because she's last lol. Sorry, I totally know what you mean, it just sounded cute and funny.
Hope she can keep it together and deliver like last years nats LP.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I just got around to watching some of the women. Akiko was great as usual. I used to dislike Lipnitskaia, but I loved this SP. Her flexibility is out of this world! I don't like Gracie's music either but she skated well.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Gracie was way overscored. That music is horrid, and she still looks like a windmill with her arm flailing. She was majorly gifted in PCS.

Also, Frank is clearly advising her to starve herself. Her legs look like toothpicks now. She’s lost her muscle definition and power along with it. Her jumps are now Julia Lipnitskaia-quality. That 2A was especially horrid. She may have landed her poor quality jumps, but she’s lost the jumps that made her special.

Wow! That was harsh. I don't understand why people have to be so nasty. Gracie does a lot of things well and has improved. Maybe she isn't your cup of tea but your comments were out of line.

Icey

Record Breaker
Surprised Gracie didn't create a tornado on the ice with all that arm movement. Frank must not be using his toothpaste analogy with her.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Speaking of Gracie being thinner with smaller jumps, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Since smaller body weight is less prone to big mistakes in jumps, and easier to adjust. By looking at how Julia and other junior ladies get more consistent jumps, there is a message. And Gracie did score better than even with her jumps today.
Between making small jumps more consistent & bigger jumps prone to a fall or pop up, the former is definitely better regarding accumulating points, though not necessarily good for the audience.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Surprised Gracie didn't create a tornado on the ice with all that arm movement. Frank must not be using his toothpaste analogy with her.

Don't forget that Frank coached Evan "Arms" Lysacek, too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow! That was harsh. I don't understand why people have to be so nasty. Gracie does a lot of things well and has improved. Maybe she isn't your cup of tea but your comments were out of line.

Yep, I agree. Can't make everyone happy I suppose.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I was very impressed with Gracie's ease and confidence today, but I agree with the poster who commented on her weight loss. She looks borderline anorexic to me. and I'm a former dancer who's 5' 6" and 115 lbs.

emdee

Final Flight
I have seen Gracie live three times and today she was pure gold. There was a breathtaking quality about her skate. I don't know if it translates well on tv but being there in the arena it was special.

And I have never been a Gracie fan before....

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I have seen Gracie live three times and today she was pure gold. There was a breathtaking quality about her skate. I don't know if it translates well on tv but being there in the arena it was special.

And I have never been a Gracie fan before....

This is nice to hear- thank you for sharing!