Skating in Masks | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating in Masks

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
This is interesting - I struggle with all masks, even my Under Armour ones, after so long it feels like I can’t breathe - I do have some anxiety so I think that’s what causes that issue. Our rink (in the UK) only makes us wear them off the ice, and I’ve had major issues with my glasses fogging (not great when you’re already visually impaired) even after using an anti fog spray on them, so don’t wear one while skating. I’m not sure what I’ll do if they become mandatory on ice.
Our rink has been making us wear masks, even on the ice. I can, thankfully, breathe pretty well in the kind I've been using but I had another skater tell me that they've had problems breathing in theirs. But if I had to try to run through like a 1:30 program in one, I think my breathing would be very labored in a mask. Thank you.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
My two have settled on different masks and I really prefer a mask frame for mine. I currently use a frame from 4Oceans. It clips on and stays out of the way. Helps keep my glasses from fogging too! But I’ve found fairly useful frames from Amazon. They’re cheap but a bit tricky to find the right fit.

Skater 1 likes a mask fabric mask for healthcare professionals called Jannu. She typically doesn’t need a new one during her practice but only skates 1 1/2 hours but has 1/2 hr off ice warm up.

Skater 2 has a fan mask with filters over the fan and the rest of the mask. It is rigid and keeps out of the way but very pricey so a last resort I’d say. i don’t think she uses the fan anymore but it’s there when she needs it. Most importantly the mask is semi rigid and stays off her mouth/face. The replaceable filters are N95 rated “fabric“.

Hope things are resolved soon!
Awesome, I'll definitely look up the frame and masks you mentioned. Thank You.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You might want to look into these:

They are only one layer so they’re super breathable; they are able to make them only one thin layer because they use special Swiss technology that destroys virus on contact. The fabric is kind of like a Speedo - very thin. It does get wet pretty quickly. More info on their technology on their website.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I personally only use KN95 masks when skating. They are the only one's I've tried so far that don't cause any problems when skating. They don't get damp for me when training in them, and they generally are quite breathable yet work well. As an added bonus they help keep my face warm.

That been said if I have to a general surgical mask works (although doesn't have high filtration rate), although they do get wet.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
You might want to look into these:

They are only one layer so they’re super breathable; they are able to make them only one thin layer because they use special Swiss technology that destroys virus on contact. The fabric is kind of like a Speedo - very thin. It does get wet pretty quickly. More info on their technology on their website.
I haven't heard of that brand, I will definitely take a look at those, thank you!

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I personally only use KN95 masks when skating. They are the only one's I've tried so far that don't cause any problems when skating. They don't get damp for me when training in them, and they generally are quite breathable yet work well. As an added bonus they help keep my face warm.

That been said if I have to a general surgical mask works (although doesn't have high filtration rate), although they do get wet.
I tried wearing the KN95 mask but I had some trouble breathing in it. But they definitely do keep your face warm as you mentioned. I may have to go back to wearing a surgical mask because I can breathe better in those than in the KN95, thank you!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I haven't heard of that brand, I will definitely take a look at those, thank you!
I heard about them through a podcast called In the Bubble which focuses on Covid-related stuff. They seem to have research backing up the technology - it’s different than how other masks work, which is apparently why they can offer this super thin and breathable version. Good luck!

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I heard about them through a podcast called In the Bubble which focuses on Covid-related stuff. They seem to have research backing up the technology - it’s different than how other masks work, which is apparently why they can offer this super thin and breathable version. Good luck!
After reading your post yesterday, I ended up ordering one. I'm looking forward to trying it! Thanks!

thesu

Spectator
I like Masks & Totes. Breathable, comfortable and stylish. They're thin but pass the "blow test." Also, made in the U.S. They were the second brand of masks I tried, and after that I didn't bother with others.