Skating in Masks | Golden Skate

Skating in Masks

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi. I wanted to see if anyone could recommend a brand of cloth masks that is good for skating. The ones I have get so wet after just a few minutes of skating. I usually skate 2 hours at a time, so it's not practical for me to bring multiple masks to change out because I'd have to bring about 8 masks. I've been able to tolerate the discomfort of the wet mask but I keep having a recurrence of oral thrush and I'm beginning to wonder if it's from me wearing these humid masks? Humidity makes a perfect setup for yeast growth. I've never had oral thrush until this year when I've been skating in these masks. My theory may be incorrect but regardless, I'd like to find some masks that don't get so wet after just a few minutes of skating. By the way, I tried those rubber mask brackets that you can insert into a mask, but once it started getting wet, it started slipping down and I couldn't keep it in place over my mouth and nose. Any Suggestions? Thank you.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
To be honest, I have tried so many different kinds and the only one I can truly do is a paper mask.

Ultimately as for cloth masks, ones made for athletes came out on top for me.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
To be honest, I have tried so many different kinds and the only one I can truly do is a paper mask.

Ultimately as for cloth masks, ones made for athletes came out on top for me.
For some strange reason, when I wear paper masks, I get headaches. Yes, I was thinking maybe the ones for athletes might be the best...I was actually thinking about trying the Under Armour cloth mask but wasn't sure if it was going to be any better than what I already have. Thank you!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I've never had oral thrush until this year when I've been skating in these masks.

Not skating related - but, I'm a registered nurse and I work in infectious disease, and I'd strongly recommend talking to your doctor about this. Oral thrush isn't unheard of in otherwise healthy people, but it can be a sign of a problem with your immune system, especially if it's recurrent. Definitely get it checked out.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Not skating related - but, I'm a registered nurse and I work in infectious disease, and I'd strongly recommend talking to your doctor about this. Oral thrush isn't unheard of in otherwise healthy people, but it can be a sign of a problem with your immune system, especially if it's recurrent. Definitely get it checked out.
I had a phone visit with my primary care doctor and she prescribed some medicine which helped temporarily. I'm about to go to an ENT next week to see if there's anything else I can take to get this resolved. But after reading your comment, I may do an in-person visit to my primary care doctor as well, to get a checkup and perhaps blood work done. I'm hoping the thrush might be from having a dry mouth because I'm probably breathing through my mouth and wearing a damp mask for 2 hours that's causing this but I do need to rule out any health issue that might be the cause. Thank you so much for your concern! :)

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
A British skating brand named Chique Sport have masks that they claim are designed for skating. I've heard good things from my rink mates. The masks aren't cheap at £20 each but if you are struggling it could be an investment.

theblade

On the Ice
I personally sewed fabric masks for my skater. Masks are changed hourly because from what I understand as they get wet - it's no bueno.

The fabric is a tightly woven batik quilter's 100% cotton, available through reputable independent quilt shops. Two layers.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
A British skating brand named Chique Sport have masks that they claim are designed for skating. I've heard good things from my rink mates. The masks aren't cheap at £20 each but if you are struggling it could be an investment.
I haven't heard of that brand, I'll definitely check it out! I don't mind the cost if it solves the problem. Thank you!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, that seems to be a common choice. Many skaters at the World Championships and WTT chose to wear them while watching events/galas/practices/K&C, etc.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I personally sewed fabric masks for my skater. Masks are changed hourly because from what I understand as they get wet - it's no bueno.

The fabric is a tightly woven batik quilter's 100% cotton, available through reputable independent quilt shops. Two layers.
That's a good idea to make your own, I may have to do that too. Yes, I've heard that as well that masks aren't very effective once they get wet which is another reason I need to stop using the kind that I bought. Thank You.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm hoping the thrush might be from having a dry mouth because I'm probably breathing through my mouth
I do know that often, when wearing a mask, people tend to breath through their mouth a lot more, causing a dry mouth (This happens to me from wearing a mask all day in normal life (Work, school, etc.))

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Yes, that seems to be a common choice. Many skaters at the World Championships and WTT chose to wear them while watching events/galas/practices/K&C, etc.
Yeah I've seen a lot of skaters wearing those too! I wish that they didn't give me headaches, I've tried wearing those type several times and it always happens. Thank You.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I do know that often, when wearing a mask, people tend to breath through their mouth a lot more, causing a dry mouth (This happens to me from wearing a mask all day in normal life (Work, school, etc.))
Yes, I suspect that may be what's happening to me too! I need to try to make sure I'm breathing through my nose and I need to probably drink more water during my skate sessions. Thank You.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah I've seen a lot of skaters wearing those too! I wish that they didn't give me headaches, I've tried wearing those type several times and it always happens. Thank You.
Make sure that the "paper" medical masks you are using are fiberglass free, because if they aren't that's probably what's causing your headache.

theblade

On the Ice
Love this discussion because I think it's important. The reasons why I chose quilter's batik and made family masks:

1) quilter's cotton batik is a dense weave, and although mask efficacy is a debate, batik is a better fabric than most for protection
2) these masks are washable, which is eco-friendly
3) when you buy a quality fabric and pre-wash it, there are less chemicals to breathe in (I found fabrics with minimal dyes - masks are pale)

I will say that wearing masks gives me migraines sometimes. I am so pissed athletes are being compromised but this whole situation beggars belief.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Make sure that the "paper" medical masks you are using are fiberglass free, because if they aren't that's probably what's causing your headache.
I didn't even think about that, I bet it did have fiberglass in the ones that I tried. I may try to buy some fiberglass free paper masks because I'm not that happy with the cloth ones. Thank You.

AmalieWaltz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Love this discussion because I think it's important. The reasons why I chose quilter's batik and made family masks:

1) quilter's cotton batik is a dense weave, and although mask efficacy is a debate, batik is a better fabric than most for protection
2) these masks are washable, which is eco-friendly
3) when you buy a quality fabric and pre-wash it, there are less chemicals to breathe in (I found fabrics with minimal dyes - masks are pale)

I will say that wearing masks gives me migraines sometimes. I am so pissed athletes are being compromised but this whole situation beggars belief.
It sounds like Quilter's Batik would be a really good choice for all the reasons you gave and I especially like your 3rd point about less chemicals to breathe in. I do sometimes wonder how safe it is to be breathing in who knows what kind of chemicals from these masks when they get wet! Yeah it's a crazy situation we're all in right now. Thank You.

Vicki7

On the Ice
This is interesting - I struggle with all masks, even my Under Armour ones, after so long it feels like I can’t breathe - I do have some anxiety so I think that’s what causes that issue. Our rink (in the UK) only makes us wear them off the ice, and I’ve had major issues with my glasses fogging (not great when you’re already visually impaired) even after using an anti fog spray on them, so don’t wear one while skating. I’m not sure what I’ll do if they become mandatory on ice.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
This is interesting - I struggle with all masks, even my Under Armour ones, after so long it feels like I can’t breathe - I do have some anxiety so I think that’s what causes that issue. Our rink (in the UK) only makes us wear them off the ice, and I’ve had major issues with my glasses fogging (not great when you’re already visually impaired) even after using an anti fog spray on them, so don’t wear one while skating. I’m not sure what I’ll do if they become mandatory on ice.
One tip - your glasses fogging actually means that your mask doesn’t fit properly. The air should not be able to come up into your glasses. Maybe try a different size? Though maybe the rink has something to do with it...

Sunshine247

On the Ice
My two have settled on different masks and I really prefer a mask frame for mine. I currently use a frame from 4Oceans. It clips on and stays out of the way. Helps keep my glasses from fogging too! But I’ve found fairly useful frames from Amazon. They’re cheap but a bit tricky to find the right fit.

Skater 1 likes a mask fabric mask for healthcare professionals called Jannu. She typically doesn’t need a new one during her practice but only skates 1 1/2 hours but has 1/2 hr off ice warm up.

Skater 2 has a fan mask with filters over the fan and the rest of the mask. It is rigid and keeps out of the way but very pricey so a last resort I’d say. i don’t think she uses the fan anymore but it’s there when she needs it. Most importantly the mask is semi rigid and stays off her mouth/face. The replaceable filters are N95 rated “fabric“.

Hope things are resolved soon!