Ski Jumping! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ski Jumping!

tars

Record Breaker
Ski jumping is a very simple sport: 50 guys climb the hill in the beginning and Kamil Stoch climbs top of the podium in the end. :biggrin:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ski jumping is a very simple sport: 50 guys climb the hill in the beginning and Kamil Stoch climbs top of the podium in the end. :biggrin:

It was amazing yesterday to hear the anthem sung by people at the hill twice! :biggrin: This year began great, but there are still Olympics to come! :dev2:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Bit late to the party because I only watched Bischofshofen yesterday, but WOW!!!!

What an achievement from Kamil! I had a feeling he would do well (remember what I said in this post), but I never imagined that he would get the clean sweep.

And what a lovely moment it was when Sven Hannawald came out of the commentary box and joined in the celebrations with Kamil. Welcoming the new addition to what was until then a club of his own.

Better than that, if you include Bischofshofen from last season, that is FIVE Four Hills competitions Stoch has won in a row! Again, joining a club that until then only inculded Hannawald, who got the clean sweep in 2001-02 and then won Oberstdorf the following season.

It will be interesting to see how things go for him at the Ski Flying Worlds, because Ski Flying isn't really his speciality.

And it will be interesting to see when Freitag comes back. Such an unfortunate way for his Tournee to end. But, I hope he lets himself get fully recovered, and doesn't try to come back sooner than he should.

I am really hoping that Eurosport shows the ski jumping at the Olympics rather than the BBC. Because I love the way that David Goldstrom appreciates talent no matter what flag they are competing under. The BBC is just too obsessed with the British athletes.

Before this thread was started, I posted in the Random Confessions thread about Jonathan Learoyd. And David has been really impressed with him. And all I could think was "if this was the BBC, they would totally ignore him because he is competing for France. Just like they do with sportspeople from Northern Ireland who opt to compete for Southern Ireland".

And now he has picked up on Adam Małysz's nephew, Tomasz Pilch. As a Małysz fan, I would love to see young Tomasz going on to have the success that his uncle had.

You know, Poland is coming down with ski jumping talent now!

Keep it up! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well, Ski Flying isn't really Kamil speciality, that's for sure :p Team Poland had the worst outing this season. It is though a speciality of Norwegians, and heavens, that 240m jump from Daniel Andre Tande was really something yesterday :luv17: Even if the landing wasn't really pretty. Was expecting a little closer fight between Norwegians and Slovenians because both nations specialize in Flying. We'll see how it goes today.
Btw. I love that every season ends in Planica with Ski Flying, it's so exciting!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm going to be bad FS fan, and watch WC in Ski Flying today instead of Euros. Ladies aren't on TV anyway...

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so last season I posted about Pragelato council voting to demolish the two hills used in the 2006 Olympics to make way for an Alpine Skiing slope. And psusanne and cathlen were lamenting about them not getting used, and being expensive to maintain

Well, this season I have seen 2 novel ways for ski jumping hills to be put to alternative use.

On New Year's Day, the knoll of the Holmenkollbakken was used for a Parallel Slalom in the Alpine Skiing World Cup. And it worked VERY well. Much better than other city events I have seen, in fact.

Of course, the Holmenkollbakken has a very distinctive shape. Other hills may not have a knoll that is suitable to accomodate a Parallel Slalom course. But, it is still an idea worth looking at.

It would certainly be worth consideration at the Flying Hills, which are used by less people, and where the knoll is definitely long enough!

In Pyeongchang, a smaller hill has been constructed at the end of the out-run area, facing the two hills being used for the ski jumping. This hill is being used for the Big Air competition in the Freestyle Snowboarding.

Admittedly, in Pyeongchang, it is a separate hill. But, I can imagine it not being too hard for a Ski Jumping hill to be temporarily converted into a Big Air hill. (Just place an upward curving extension at the end of the table, and Bob's your uncle!)

That said, I think that a Normal Hill or Big Hill might be a bit too high for the snowboarders. So, maybe this could be a way smaller hills could be utilised.

Those are just a couple of way that ski jumping hills can be used differently to generate additional income, which don't involve them having to be demolished.

I hope that in future loss-making ski jumping operators would try additional options like these rather than calling in the bulldozers. Because we have lost too many hills already. And with less hills, we get less kids taking up the sport.

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
With skating news lately being so depressing, I'm drowning myself in Ski Jumping. Which with Raw Air Tournament is pretty easy :biggrin: And we're at the end of the season with Ski Flying and I love it so much :love:

ETA: Is there a possibility to move thread back to Le Cafe? I feel like it's being buried in the ISU FS Championships sub forum. Or, if that's impossible, to make a thread based on this post?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Last season, it was Pragelato's Olympic Hills. Now it's Calgary's.

https://www.facebook.com/abigail.strate/posts/2054869904783658

This will mean that the only operational ski jumping hills in Canada are at Whistler.

As the young jumper that posted this says, how is this supposed to grow the sport?

And, as she also says, what happened to the Olympic Legacy obligations? (And that goes for both Pragelato and Calgary).

I don't like the way this is going.

As I said earlier in this thread, the operators need to find additional ways to utilise the hills so that they are not reliant solely on jumpers, because there are not enough of them to generate enough income to cover the costs of running the hills. And if jumps keep closing, there will be even fewer people taking up ski jumping. Creating a vicious circle.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just read a post on Simon Ammann's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10156010293786355&id=192475986354

In the UK, whenever somebody wins an Olympic or Paralympic Gold Medal, a postbox in their hometown is painted Gold in celebration. (e.g. here is a story about Michael McKillop's Gold post box).

When Simon Ammann won his Gold Medals in Salt Lake City in 2002, a phone box in his hometown was painted Gold in celebration:

https://www.facebook.com/1924759863...393092.192475986354/10156010295326355/?type=3

But, because of the rise of mobile phones, phone boxes around the world are getting removed. And Swisscom announced a few months ago that they are going to remove all their remaining phoneboxes. And that includes Simon Ammann's Gold phone box.

Obviously, Simi is trying to get it saved.

I don't agree with removing phone boxes. Like, let's face it, you can't get reception everywhere on all networks (e.g. the network my Dad is on has no reception in his home village). Plus, there are oddities like me who can't use mobile phones (a lot of mobiles give me headaches when they are used near me).

So, what are you supposed to do in an emergency in these situations?!

Of course, if Swisscom have decided that they are going to stop having phone boxes, well that's that. But, what is to stop them from just disconnecting the phone and leaving the box itself where it is?

At least that way, Simi's achievements will continue to be acknowledged in a very visible manner. And Superman will have somewhere to change if he's in Switzerland. ;)

Anyway, I wish Simi all the best in his campaign to get his Gold phone box saved.

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow that phonebox is glorious! Also how did he get up there? :laugh:

I agree with you about keeping phone boxes, what if your phone runs out of battery and it's the middle of the night so you can't really ask to borrow someone's mobile? That actually happened to me once...there wasn't a phone box to be seen actually...would have been helpful!

Anyway I voted for Simi's idea (I do enjoy watching the ski jumping) it seems to be doing well so fingers crossed!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just remembered that I forgot to post a few things I spotted on my Facebook news feed over the past few weeks.

Firstly, Simi has moved his telephone box!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Yes, I worded it that way deliberately... he actually moved it himself:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...56076947706355.1073741835.192475986354&type=1

It's so refreshing to see that multiple Olympic Gold Medallists aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. :biggrin:

That was a month ago, and there haven't been any updates. So, I don't know if it has been re-erected yet. But, I'm sure we'll hear something soon

Now, for some good news and some bad news regarding hills.

The good news is that there are going to be some new hills in North America!!!

http://www.skisprungschanzen.com/EN...onwood+and+Red+Wing+to+be+constructed+by+2019

The hills at Copper Peak in Ironwood, Michigan, which haven't been in use since the mid-90's, are going to be modernised and brought back into use.

Also, a new ski jumping facility with an HS140 (K125) is going to be built at Mount Frontenac in Red Wing, Minnesota.

I am not going to beat about the bush - the ski jumping scene in North America is not in good shape. So, this is a very good sign that things are starting to head in the right direction.

The bad news is that two of the jumping hills at Harrachov have closed - the HS100 (K90) Normal Hill and a smaller hill (K40).

http://www.skisprungschanzen.com/EN...+is+this+the+end+of+ski+jumping+in+Harrachov?

Now, bearing in mind that the Big Hill and the Flying Hill are already closed, this is getting to the critical stage. The biggest hill in Harrachov that is still in use is a K26. As the story points out, teenagers need to be jumping on a hill of at least K60 in order to progress up the ladder.

The Czech team are already struggling in the World Cup. I hate to say it, but it looks like this once great nation will be near the bottom of the field very soon. And if it does get to that stage, it will be very difficult for them to climb up again if jumping facilities continue to close.

Without the adequate facilities for young jumpers to train on, there will be no new blood coming through once the current crop of jumpers retire. And when it gets to this stage, it will be much harder to inspire Czech youngsters to take up the sport, as they will have no local heroes to look up to. And the sport will all but die.

That is what happened in America many years ago. But, they are now starting to take steps to address that. The problem is that it will take at least a decade until we start seeing the results.

Let's hope that the Czechs do not let themselves go too far down that road, as the further they get down, the harder it will be to turn around.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Bumping this thread up because I was looking through the Eurosport Player schedule for the weekend and realised that the 2018 Summer Grand Prix starts tonight!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

As usual, British Eurosport are not showing the Summer Ski Jumping LIVE :disapp: (not even on the Player! :eek: ) But, they are showing an hour of highlights twice tomorrow morning (02:00 BST and 05:00 BST).

I don't know about the other versions of Eurosport, as my unblocky friend no longer works on the Eurosport Player.

Here is the 2018 Summer Grand Prix calendar:
http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/...4/33/25/GP_Calendar_JP-18_updated_Neutral.pdf

Here is the 2018 Summer Continental Cup calendar:
http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/...84/COC-FC_JP_Calendar_2018-Summer_Neutral.pdf

Here is the 2018-19 Continental Cup calendar:
http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/.../28/14/COC-FC_JP_Calendar_2018-19_Neutral.pdf

Here is the 2018-19 Men's World Cup calendar:
http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/...4/33/23/WC_Calendar_JP18-19_Men-2_Neutral.pdf

Here is the 2018-19 Women's World Cup calendar:
http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/.../33/24/WC_Calendar_JP18-19_Ladies_Neutral.pdf

Finally, here is a handy calendar which shows the World Cup dates for all the Nordic disciplines:
http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/...untry/04/34/36/WC-Cal_Nordic18-19_Neutral.pdf

Incidentally, the Summer competitions in Nordic Combined are not due to start for another month. So, I will wait until nearer the time to link to their calendars, in case there are changes.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I've watched the competition this weekend. Kamil has no chill :laugh: And I'm very, very positively suprised by Kilian Peier! :hap10:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Last season, it was Pragelato's Olympic Hills. Now it's Calgary's.

https://www.facebook.com/abigail.strate/posts/2054869904783658

This will mean that the only operational ski jumping hills in Canada are at Whistler.

As the young jumper that posted this says, how is this supposed to grow the sport?

And, as she also says, what happened to the Olympic Legacy obligations? (And that goes for both Pragelato and Calgary).

I don't like the way this is going.

As I said earlier in this thread, the operators need to find additional ways to utilise the hills so that they are not reliant solely on jumpers, because there are not enough of them to generate enough income to cover the costs of running the hills. And if jumps keep closing, there will be even fewer people taking up ski jumping. Creating a vicious circle.

CaroLiza_fan

Saw an update to this story a few days ago, and thought it should be shared.

Now that the training season is over, demolition work is due to start on the hills used in the 1988 Calgary Olympics:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/ski-jumps-at-canada-olympic-park-scheduled-to-be-torn-down-1.4142799

It's the same old story - too expensive to maintain them.

But, here's the twist. They are getting demolished despite the fact that Calgary is bidding for the 2026 Olympics!!! :shocked:

The plan is to hold the ski jumping competitions at Whistler, which is 600 miles away in British Columbia. (Whistler was where the ski jumping competitions were held for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics).

Like, what is the sense in that?! Getting rid of the facilities on your doorstep and instead holding the competitions a considerable distance away. Surely having separate bases so far apart is the sort of thing that the IOC would want to avoid. And, hence, it will harm the bid.

The voting to decide on the host city is being held in 7 months time. So, why couldn't the owners of the Calgary hills keep them in service for those few months extra?!

If Calgary lost the bid, well, they could still demolish them. But if they had waited, at least the option to use them would still have been there in the scenario that Calgary did win the bid.

I realise that without the Olympics, it would have been too expensive for the owners to refurbish the hills and bring them up to modern standards. But, if Calgary did win the bid, then the money would have been available to do it.

I can't believe the owners are being so short sighted.

Yes, ski jumping is a sport where there are not many participants and where the facilities are costly to maintain. But, how is the sport supposed to grow if the existing facilities are disappearing at a rate of knots?

So much for the idea of the Olympics having a legacy.

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ski Jumping season is on! We start today with Team Event at 16.00! And it's Wisła, so I predict at least one Pole on podium :cool:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ski Jumping season is on! We start today with Team Event at 16.00! And it's Wisła, so I predict at least one Pole on podium :cool:

The question is how Stoch will get on, because he didn't do great in qualifying. But, for all we know, he may be just conserving himself for the competitions.

By the way, here are the latest versions of the calendars:

Men's World Cup
Ladies World Cup
Continental Cup & FIS Cup

It was announced during the off-season that the FIS are planning on running more of the Ladies competitions alongside the Men's competitions in the future. And whilst it would be great to get the Ladies more exposure, I'm not too sure it's going to work too well.

There is a very good reason why the Men's and Ladies competitions are run together in Cross Country and in Biathlon, but are not run together in Alpine Skiing and Ski Jumping. And that reason is the effects of the wind.

It is normal for there to be lots of delays due to strong winds in Alpine Skiing and in Ski Jumping. If the Men and Ladies competitions are held together, there is more chance of the competitions not getting completed. But by holding them at separate resorts, there is more time to play with, and hence more chance of getting them completed.

In Cross Country, the wind doesn't have much of an effect on the race. And with Biathlon, although the wind can cause delays, it is very rare that races end up getting cancelled.

Ladies competitions are only in their infancy in Nordic Combined. But, because of the ski jumping element, I would advise that they are not run with the Men.

So, I can see this plan backfiring. Nice in theory, but it could be disasterous in practice.

Just to finish off my theme about Calgary, the local council held a referendum asking the public whether they should continue their bid for the Olympics, and the public said no:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46205694

So, with that slim piece of hope now gone, that will probably be the final nail in the coffin for the ski jumping hills.

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Your worries about Kamil were completely unfounded :p

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Congrats to Evgeny Klimov on the first win in the World Cup! :hap10: Also, super happy Antti Aalto was in top 10!! I have soft spot for Team Finland :luv17:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Four Hills Tournament is coming! But first, ski jUmpers have a nice break :)

I'm sooo pruod of Antti Aalto this season. He's doing so well! :luv17: Also very glad Roman Koudelka is back to jumping on the highest level :rock: And Ryouyu Kobayashi is amazing! :bow: