TEB is Cancelled | Page 13 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Whatever they decide to do, i hope they don't use the results from the SP alone.....
They should make the top 6 skaters compete again in the LP or something somewhere.......
something that's more reasonable than just the SP. or maybe they can open more slots for the GPF as someone mentioned.

whatif

Medalist
Please don't send me the unnecessary links.
Let me quote ficelle from the other thread :No, it's just tight control, not closing... "M. Hollande a « décidé le rétablissement immédiat des contrôles aux frontières », a indiqué l’Elysée et non « la fermeture » comme annoncé dans un premier temps par le président". (from Le Monde) "
That means all the athletes will leave the country when they need and proceed with their GP assignments, trainings, life, etc.

No problem, welcome to my ignore list, your rudeness.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
VAnessa & Mae Berenice:sad4:

we should probs sheck periscope
Maybe someone uploaded something

i was thinking the same it would be very hard for the french skaters to compete now.... as of what im hearing the SP standings will be the final... sad for Tarasova & morozov and Patrick... but i reallt dont see any other solution to it if the GP series is to be continoued

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
USFS Stament

U.S. FIGURE SKATING STATEMENT REGARDING TRAGEDY IN PARIS

(11/14/15) - U.S. Figure Skating is deeply saddened by Friday's tragic events in Paris. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with the victims, their families and the people of France.

We fully support the decision of French authorities to cancel the remaining portion of the 2015 Trophee Bompard event in Bordeaux, France.

U.S. Figure Skating is working with the ISU, the French Federation of Ice Sports and local authorities to ensure the quick and safe return of Team USA.

cleo2070

Final Flight
First of all, I definitely agree with the opinions already expressed by Procrastinator, Eniq and others. These are terrible, tragic circumstances and a reason for sadness and worry for probably all of us.
That said, it's not surprising that figure skating fans will go on being figure skating fans and think about the competitions.
I agree that there are no good solutions here. In my opinion, peg's suggestion to add (let's say) 2 places in the GPF seems to balance the need for fairness and the logistic aspect. What's more, with nearly a month to go till GPF, the organizer would have time to handle the modifications.

I think one approach would be to use the SP results to calculate standings, but then allocate an extra one or two spots for the GPF for those who were at TEB and were on the bubble in terms of qualifying. That way you give some benefit f the doubt to those who were unable to skate their FS.

I disagree, however, that we should wait quietly for the ISU official decision. As fans, I believe we should be involved and politely pitch those ideas we see as problem-solving through various social media or maybe through FS organizations, clubs, etc. Why not share what may be a good idea?
Thanks for reading my two cents. Peace!

Last edited:

SorrySkater

On the Ice
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

First off, my thoughts and prayers are with those in Paris. To me, at least, a figure skating competition seems somewhat trivial in comparison.

Second, it seems to me as though the final results must be based upon short program scores. In all other sports, if the competition is suspended for whatever reason, the final result is based upon results to that point. American football immediately comes to mind - I can think of games that have been suspended due to weather; the final score was based upon results to that point. In terms of tie breaker for the Grand Prix final, use short program results as tie breaker. If all Grand Prix competitions from this point forward go as planned, all competitors will have had the same opportunity to compete their short programs.

In terms of fairness, in my opinion, this is the best plan. For those who argue that the long programs should be held at another time, this gives an unfair advantage to the TEB competitors in that they have a longer break before competing their long programs, and it gives a disadvantage in terms of money. Can you imagine the craziness of having a long program only event and put the burden of travel pay on the competitors? It would be equally difficult/challenging to add these same competitors to another Grand Prix event and expect the competitors to suddenly come up with money to pay for travel, let alone arrange for travel visas. You cannot really use the season's best long program score for all competitors in order to determine the final standings; we do not have a crystal ball and cannot say how each competitor would perform. And, as someone else said up-thread, this serves as a lesson that you must be your best for all parts of the competition. For those who had an off day for the short program, well, that could just as easily happen in the long program - just as those who placed well in the short could have an off day for the long. Ice is slippery.

Let's please keep our eyes on the big picture. This is just a figure skating competition. And I say that as a fan that is disappointed in not being able to watch the second phase of the event.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I love skating. Always have & always will. I look forward to the Grand Prix Series every year & so enjoyed yesterday's skating at TEB BUT people lost their lives & many others will be affected for the rest of their lives.
I do think it's a respectful decision to cancel the event.
How can skaters go out their & fake smile when innocent people have been butchered in the same country ?.
Yes, other sporting events will still go ahead in near by countries but I'm proud that skating has not done the same.
When I first came on here today I was sad that the event was off & that it meant terrorists were winning by disrupting others everyday lives but in reality we need time to come to terms with this & grieve for the victims.
The ISU need time to figure out what to do, I hope they come up with a fair solution but right now it's too soon.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Let's please keep our eyes on the big picture. This is just a figure skating competition. And I say that as a fan that is disappointed in not being able to watch the second phase of the event.

:agree::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
According to Ivan Bukin periscope, russian team will go tomorrow to Barselona by bus and from Barselona to Moscow by plane.
thanks a lot
I'll check it out once i come home

i was thinking the same it would be very hard for the french skaters to compete now...
Actually come to think of it it would have been hard for any skater
& If they decided to hold the LPs without spectators the atmosphere there would have been so burdensome probably:sad4:

creaturelover

On the Ice
I love skating. Always have & always will. I look forward to the Grand Prix Series every year & so enjoyed yesterday's skating at TEB BUT people lost their lives & many others will be affected for the rest of their lives.
I do think it's a respectful decision to cancel the event.
How can skaters go out their & fake smile when innocent people have been butchered in the same country ?.
Yes, other sporting events will still go ahead in near by countries but I'm proud that skating has not done the same.
When I first came on here today I was sad that the event was off & that it meant terrorists were winning by disrupting others everyday lives but in reality we need time to come to terms with this & grieve for the victims.
The ISU need time to figure out what to do, I hope they come up with a fair solution but right now it's too soon.

:clap:

whatif

Medalist
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

First off, my thoughts and prayers are with those in Paris. To me, at least, a figure skating competition seems somewhat trivial in comparison.

Second, it seems to me as though the final results must be based upon short program scores. In all other sports, if the competition is suspended for whatever reason, the final result is based upon results to that point. American football immediately comes to mind - I can think of games that have been suspended due to weather; the final score was based upon results to that point. In terms of tie breaker for the Grand Prix final, use short program results as tie breaker. If all Grand Prix competitions from this point forward go as planned, all competitors will have had the same opportunity to compete their short programs.

In terms of fairness, in my opinion, this is the best plan. For those who argue that the long programs should be held at another time, this gives an unfair advantage to the TEB competitors in that they have a longer break before competing their long programs, and it gives a disadvantage in terms of money. Can you imagine the craziness of having a long program only event and put the burden of travel pay on the competitors? It would be equally difficult/challenging to add these same competitors to another Grand Prix event and expect the competitors to suddenly come up with money to pay for travel, let alone arrange for travel visas. You cannot really use the season's best long program score for all competitors in order to determine the final standings; we do not have a crystal ball and cannot say how each competitor would perform. And, as someone else said up-thread, this serves as a lesson that you must be your best for all parts of the competition. For those who had an off day for the short program, well, that could just as easily happen in the long program - just as those who placed well in the short could have an off day for the long. Ice is slippery.

Well, that would unquestionably disqualify Tuktamysheva. And it would not majorly affect Ice Dance.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
These kids would've have competed fiercely if they needed to

These kids are not superheros. I think we all wish that given the chance these skaters would have skated their best to reassure ourselves that all is right with the world and that the human spirit can prevail over such evil. But at the end of the day they are just human and dealing with a traumatic experience. I'm sure that many of them feel a responsibility to themselves and to their fans to show bravery. But, in my opinion, they don't owe us fans that. I hope they all can make their way home safely and be with loving family and friends.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
These kids are not superheros. I think we all wish that given the chance these skaters would have skated their best to reassure ourselves that all is right with the world and that the human spirit can prevail over such evil. But at the end of the day they are just human and dealing with a traumatic experience. I'm sure that many of them feel a responsibility to themselves and to their fans to show bravery. But, in my opinion, they don't owe us fans that. I hope they all can make their way home safely and be with loving family and friends.

Didn't say they're superheroes, But there's no need to drag them to the opposite end of the scale either

HanDomi

Record Breaker
SP results are final results.

I think it's only fair way. I understand people getting angry of some of their favourites getting out because of that, and I would be too, but that's how it is sometimes.