TEB is Cancelled | Page 12 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I dont understand will the whole GP series be cancelled? are the borders still closed? some of this skaters needs to be in russia next weekend... so sad, just everythong about this tragedy
No, the latter events won't be cancelled. The borders were not closed from what I've heard a few hours before- they even let in all the airplanes and other transport. Don't panic, please.

ronja_so

Rinkside
I think that the fact that borders are closed doesn't actually mean they are totally closed. It means they don't at this situation follow Schengen rules and they've started border controls for every passenger.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
It's not surrendering to violence. It's about government officials trying to maintain the safety of the athletes and showing respect to all those who work the event, and to all of France. They have no idea if any other attacks will occur and have declared the actions of ISIS a declaration of war. And posters are upset about the GPF and the use short program scores. Sad when the athletes themselves are showing understanding towards this decision, even if a GPF spot is at a loss. With 153 confirmed dead please keep in mind they didn't get to blow up the stadium as planned, there could have been so many more casualties.

So well said, MK's Winter. The French people were wonderfully supportive to us after 9/11 and I'm devastated about yesterday's events. The GP event should have been cancelled by the ISU as soon as the extent of the attack became known.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I dont understand will the whole GP series be cancelled? are the borders still closed? some of this skaters needs to be in russia next weekend... so sad, just everythong about this tragedy

Borders are open for all transportation systems, with security in high priority.

I think much of this confusion about the Grand Prix series being cancelled comes from Denis' Tweet, "It just has been announced that the Grand Prix's canceled." I'm fairly certain he just meant TEB was cancelled.

Last edited:

creaturelover

On the Ice
Cancelling TEB is the right thing to do - there is much more important things for French police to deal with at the moment

whatif

Medalist
No, the latter events won't be cancelled. The borders were not closed from what I've heard a few hours before- they even let in all the airplanes and other transport. Don't panic, please.

Borders ARE closed, however that does not mean all flights and trains are cancelled. It means that border checks are imposed and you can not freely enter the country under Schengen agreement, so no passport free travel for now.

creaturelover

On the Ice
as far as I am aware borders are closed with heightened security. in other words - you MUST have a passport to pass the borders

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
yep to everyone totally.

ugh dont even remind me of those:palmf: I cant believe someone finds these kinda things funny But we're the villains. Maybe its OK to mock our grief.

anyway Im pretty sad for all the french. Im with you guys. My childhood friend lives in Paris with her hubby :sad4:

Sad but true. There are a lot of kind people out there *of Russia*

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Borders ARE closed, however that does not mean all flights and trains are cancelled. It means that border checks are imposed and you can not freely enter the country under Schengen agreement, so no passport free travel for now.
We obviously get information from different sourses. As well as many of other posters of this thread.

creaturelover

On the Ice
when they say borders are closed it means that you cannot pass the border FREELY - you can still pass into France but you require a passport and need to clear security. Open borders means you don`t need identification (passports)

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
I don't know if you realise, but London, Bruxelles, Amsterdam, Turin, Frankfut, Milan, ALL of these big cities are CLOSER to Paris than Bordeaux is.
If there is a risk, then there's a risk everywhere in any of these cities.
They're not cancelling because of the risk, we've been living with the risk over our heads for a long time here, they are cancelling for other reasons, including the fact that over 120 people died aready and maybe as much might still die.

I'm not happy about it, I don't think we should cancel anything, but I'll accept that decision.
This's not about risks (or let's say - not only about them).
The first thing to consider is that skaters have to leave the country, and considering the state of emergency in France, they'll possibly have to go in another country all together anyway (because border crossing is restricted, some flights could be cancelled and they'll have to organize some transportation with special permission just to leave the country (to Spain which is nearest one, or to Italy). What they will do next - it depends. They can just book new flights for everyone or try to arrange LP skating in different place.

So the distance was mentioned only from logistical point of view, not as measurement of "safety".

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
I know this is a long shot but given the unfortunate situation that has arised could the ISU decide to host this grand prix event (perhaps in another location?) The weekend after NHK? And then delay the grand prix final by a few days? Although if it delayed any further than you run the risk of not allowing some skaters enough time to prepare for their national championships..

And if the ISU doesn't feel they can find a fair solution then the grand prix final should be cancelled. However the other two events could go on as planned but without that pressure to qualify for the final.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
There is no different source. In this case it's just one and his name is President Hollande.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fCg7EMzcU
Please don't send me the unnecessary links.
Let me quote ficelle from the other thread :No, it's just tight control, not closing... "M. Hollande a « décidé le rétablissement immédiat des contrôles aux frontières », a indiqué l’Elysée et non « la fermeture » comme annoncé dans un premier temps par le président". (from Le Monde) "
That means all the athletes will leave the country when they need and proceed with their GP assignments, trainings, life, etc.

tulosai

Record Breaker
btw do you know if anyone of out team departed already?

I don't believe so. I expect most of the athletes will fly out on their original tickets if possible, so probably Monday, though some may try to figure out a way to get out sooner.