TEB is Cancelled | Page 11 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

whatif

Medalist
They will not cancel GPF. That creates even more headache. Sponsors, broadcasters, tickets, you name it. Let's just wait and see what they decide.

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
I'm quite dissapointed with ISU behavior during all this situation.
I was sure they'll announce cancellation of Exhibition immediately and will focus on LP (with spectators or not). But instead they wanted to carry on Exhibition as well, to avoid money loss, not realizing that it's quite immoral after what happened in Paris!!!
This certainly seemed inappropriate to French autorities therefore they refused even to discuss some kind of trade-off agreement and cancelled everything (and did it right in fact).

ISU must have been more flexible, and in fact they're partly responsible that situation went like this.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
It's not surrendering to violence. It's about government officials trying to maintain the safety of the athletes and showing respect to all those who work the event, and to all of France. They have no idea if any other attacks will occur and have declared the actions of ISIS a declaration of war. And posters are upset about the GPF and the use short program scores. Sad when the athletes themselves are showing understanding towards this decision, even if a GPF spot is at a loss. With 153 confirmed dead please keep in mind they didn't get to blow up the stadium as planned, there could have been so many more casualties.
Well, I do want to disagree (politely): because this has happened all events should be cancelled, everyone should just stay at home and avoid bars, squares, stadiums, libraries etc because all places where public gatherings are could be attacked? And for how much time? A day? A week? There is no actual reason to think that an attack is more probable today in Bourdeaux than in Rome or Madrid or Prague (just examples of course) in a week or two weeks. This is terrorism: not knowing anything about date/place/occasion. Closing a sports event in Bourdeaux is a typical example of the irrational power of terror: exactly what ISIS wants.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Still, you guys need to respect this decision. In canceling the event, they are not letting the terrorists win nor are they asserting that the event was insecure / likely to be threatened. It was done out of an abundance of caution; it gives authorities one less thing to worry about as they try to piece everything together.

One grand prix event is not the be-all end-all for these skaters. Yes, they'll be disappointed because of the work they put in, but I think the vast majority of them realize that, in perspective, figure skating means nothing compared to the tragedy that's just happened. I'm not getting the sense, from reading many of your posts, that many of you appreciate this fact.

Thx for your wise words, Procrastinator. Absolutely agree.

In the aftermath of the 2011 tsunami, many skaters first and foremost expressed concern and support for the nation of Japan and for their Japanese friends.
The skaters understood that any uncertainty over the fate of 2011 Worlds (and the ultimate delay/relocation) was indeed nothing compared to the real tragedy of massive loss of life, loved ones, homes, etc.

moriel

Record Breaker
I'm quite dissapointed with ISU behavior during all this situation.
I was sure they'll announce cancellation of Exhibition immediately and will focus on LP (with spectators or not). But instead they wanted to carry on Exhibition as well, to avoid money loss, not realizing that it's quite immoral after what happened in Paris!!!
This certainly seemed inappropriate to French autorities therefore they refused even to discuss some kind of trade-off agreement and cancelled everything (and did it right in fact).

ISU must have been more flexible, and in fact they're partly responsible that situation went like this.

Srsly? if thats true, its just terrible.

Lysambre

Final Flight
No, my proposal is to move them right now from France to the place in Italy or elsewhere that will agree to conduct Free Skating ASAP. For instance on Monday on Tuesday. So they won't have to go home and come back, they go home after LP next week.

Of course I realize it's not easy to arrange and but some solution has to be found. And in fact every solution in this situation has considerable drawbacks. So they have to find best of the "bad" solutions.

I don't know if you realise, but London, Bruxelles, Amsterdam, Turin, Frankfut, Milan, ALL of these big cities are CLOSER to Paris than Bordeaux is.
If there is a risk, then there's a risk everywhere in any of these cities.
They're not cancelling because of the risk, we've been living with the risk over our heads for a long time here, they are cancelling for other reasons, including the fact that over 120 people died aready and maybe as much might still die.

I'm not happy about it, I don't think we should cancel anything, but I'll accept that decision.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Guys...let's not forget it's entirely possible that people involved with the attack got away or there could be supporters planning a second wave. It's only a six hour drive away. Remember Charlie Hebdo attacks and the grocery store scene? The less soft targets out there in this heighten state can only be a good thing. The ISU council will vote on the proposal. Doesn't really matter what we say. Right now my prayers are with France and for the safety of everyone including a safe return of our beloved skaters.

I'm glad they cancelled it and GPF standing are the last thing on my mind.

Exactly. Thank you.

Example: the 2011 Norway attacks were orchestrated in a similar fashion that you mentioned. The perpetrator set off a bomb in Oslo and while all authorities and medical personnel were attending to the explosion, said perpetrator was busy traveling to an island a couple of hours away where he opened fire on 69 youths.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell people that holding a sporting event 15 hours after a terrorist attack is probably not exactly the best idea.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
unfair to all pairs - most of them are so close in score that picking just 2 to be silver and bronze medalists right now is totally unfair - the placements could shift any way after the free skate
yep to everyone totally.

Ask French people what would they think if there will be a caricature on people dying...
ugh dont even remind me of those:palmf: I cant believe someone finds these kinda things funny But we're the villains. Maybe its OK to mock our grief.

anyway Im pretty sad for all the french. Im with you guys. My childhood friend lives in Paris with her hubby :sad4:

Last edited:

Eniq

Spectator
Still, you guys need to respect this decision. In canceling the event, they are not letting the terrorists win nor are they asserting that the event was insecure / likely to be threatened. It was done out of an abundance of caution; it gives authorities one less thing to worry about as they try to piece everything together.

One grand prix event is not the be-all end-all for these skaters. Yes, they'll be disappointed because of the work they put in, but I think the vast majority of them realize that, in perspective, figure skating means nothing compared to the tragedy that's just happened. I'm not getting the sense, from reading many of your posts, that many of you appreciate this fact.

Thank you, Procrastinator.

I don't recall the last time I posted in GS.

As I read through to learn more about the situation in Bordeaux and TEB, I'm taken aback by the lack of sensitivity and narrow-mindedness some posters demonstrated. This is the worst attack that France, as a country, suffered since WWII. This series of attack is bigger than a figure skating competition. For heaven's sake, France closed its borders.

The main concern should be ensure that the athletes and the community are safe.

This is a sport. What happened to the sportsmanship of some of you? It's not only about winning. It's not only about being first. It's not only about getting minimising inconvenience or getting back into the swing of things. It's not only about money, or taking an unnecessary stance.

Have a heart, people.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well nothing we can do, no matter what decision ISU takes it will look unfair to someone.

I think honestly there is no real fair solution currently available to them. In terms of results, the fair things would have been to hold the competition today (with or without audience) or to delay one day and hold it tomorrow. (This doesn't take into account any larger issues, nor I am saying what I think should have been done, I am solely talking about the idea of fair results.)

With these options both gone, the remaining ones all are deeply unsatisfactory for different reasons.

whatif

Medalist
Well, I do want to disagree (politely): because this has happened all events should be cancelled, everyone should just stay at home and avoid bars, squares, stadiums, libraries etc because all places where public gatherings are could be attacked? And for how much time? A day? A week? There is no actual reason to think that an attack is more probable today in Bourdeaux than in Rome or Madrid or Prague (just examples of course) in a week or two weeks. This is terrorism: not knowing anything about date/place/occasion. Closing a sports event in Bourdeaux is a typical example of the irrational power of terror: exactly what ISIS wants.

Are you not hearing what people saying or you have problem with comprehension? How can you compare Madrid and Bourdeax? The state of emergency is declared, curfew is imposed, borders are closed, all public gatherings are prohibited. This has nothing to do with politics or "war rhetorics" in the next 24-48 hours.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
I dont understand will the whole GP series be cancelled? are the borders still closed? some of this skaters needs to be in russia next weekend... so sad, just everythong about this tragedy

MK's Winter

Record Breaker

I understand you reasoning. I'm looking at this in the respect that France is a Nation in mourning and under a state of emergency. I work in Emergency Services and these decisions are not made lightly at all. No one is saying stay indoors for an extended period of time and not to go anywhere but Paris is going to be using resources all around them and I wouldn't be surprised if they will be using police/Ems from a far as Bourdeaux. Just because security is heightened in Paris doesn't mean it doesn't effect other areas of France. Even if the held the event, closed to the public or not, they would step up security majorly, and it's obvious they need those resources elsewhere.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
Are you not hearing what people saying or you have problem with comprehension? How can you compare Madrid and Bourdeax? The state of emergency is declared, curfew is imposed, borders are closed, all public gatherings are prohibited. This has nothing to do with politics or "war rhetorics" in the next 24-48 hours.

I agree with you.

State of emergency is declared
Do you know what it means?

No chance for sport competitions even without public.

Even international medical insurances are not valid when the state of emergency is declared.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
I understand you reasoning. I'm looking at this in the respect that France is a Nation in mourning and under a state of emergency. I work in Emergency Services and these decisions are not made lightly at all. No one is saying stay indoors for an extended period of time and not to go anywhere but Paris is going to be using resources all around them and I wouldn't be surprised if they will be using police/Ems from a far as Bourdeaux. Just because security is heightened in Paris doesn't mean it doesn't effect other areas of France. Even if the held the event, closed to the public or not, they would step up security majorly, and it's obvious they need those resources elsewhere.

This is a very good point that hadn't actually occurred to me.