TEB is Cancelled | Page 37 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
we hated to feel so frustrated because there were so many other people in pain and in mourning. But as a competitor, you never want to finish a competition with just one program. It is a bizarre feeling.
sharing Piper's thoughts

I guess I'll take any decision except for the SP as final results

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Was the ISU meeting to decide what scores to use today?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Was the ISU meeting to decide what scores to use today?
Supposedly.

I don't imagine it's going to be quick or easy... they not only have to come up with a reasoned and defensible "result", but also work it into the system of tie-breakers for reaching the final...

...and they must bear in mind that whatever they decide will set a Precident, which might even end up being written into the rules for any future events that unexpectedly have to be cancelled at short notice.

So they may also be considering rules for stuff beyond what they need for TEB "here and now"... governing what to do if eg. an event is cancelled before the SP starts, or mid way through the SP, or after the SP but mid-way through the free skate, or a whole bunch of other stuff...

Actually I'll be mildly surprised if they are able to sort it all out by the end of today...

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
TEB is cancelled. So be it. Whatever ISU decision on GPF qualification today, so be it. It's not important enough to get worked up for, especially considering the cause for all this abnormally. We are in this discussion for whatever reason we choose.

TEB is an unfinished business and it will not be completely satisfactory whatever arbitrary finish is imposed but we have to live with that along with the skaters.

Using the SP results is like using the 150m point result for a 500m race finish, using the first set of a tennis match as final, the first 3 dives of a diving competition.............. It is supposed to be 1/3 of the competition, which is why most eventual placements are that of the LP results or closer to them than the results of the SP.

It is not fair to dismiss the SP performance and results of the dark horses, not is it to forgive the under-performance of the usual front runners. That's why I wish for a consideration of LP result substitutes. PB is not fair either, over awarding those with a brilliant performance regardless of when it was achieved and how likely it would be repeated. All things considered, I proposed using the LP results scored or to be scored this season.

I agree with adelia it doesn't matter what anybody here thinks. I'm not posting this at the thread about the fair way to pick the GPFinalist because I have not even waded into it. We will all find out soon how it will be resolved and I will accept it along with the skaters. In macro view of life, the world, as well as the careers of the skaters, it's really minor.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
TEB is cancelled. So be it. Whatever ISU decision on GPF qualification today, so be it. It's not important enough to get worked up for, especially considering the cause for all this abnormally. We are in this discussion for whatever reason we choose.

TEB is an unfinished business and it will not be completely satisfactory whatever arbitrary finish is imposed but we have to live with that along with the skaters.

Using the SP results is like using the 150m point result for a 500m race finish, using the first set of a tennis match as final, the first 3 dives of a diving competition.............. It is supposed to be 1/3 of the competition, which is why most eventual placements are that of the LP results or closer to them than the results of the SP.

It is not fair to dismiss the SP performance and results of the dark horses, not is it to forgive the under-performance of the usual front runners. That's why I wish for a consideration of LP result substitutes. PB is not fair either, over awarding those with a brilliant performance regardless of when it was achieved and how likely it would be repeated. All things considered, I proposed using the LP results scored or to be scored this season.

I agree with adelia it doesn't matter what anybody here thinks. I'm not posting this at the thread about the fair way to pick the GPFinalist because I have not even waded into it. We will all find out soon how it will be resolved and I will accept it along with the skaters. In macro view of life, the world, as well as the careers of the skaters, it's really minor.

Well said! I totally agree.

russell30

Final Flight
Hold another event after the NHK, standings would be after the SP, skaters to perform Free.. I know its costly and not sure where the venue would be - was thinking maybe back at Nebelhorn??

Sorrento

Record Breaker
According to this: http://tass.ru/sport/2445780 Russia came with a proposal to have 8 finalists in each discipline at GPF. Names to be decided after the last GP event taken into consideration TEB skaters. The SP value that has to be taken into account for GP events starting order to be calculated and announced not later than Wednesday this week.
Ridiculous.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
http://fsrussia.ru/news/1433-aleksa...rye-uzhe-podderzhali-neskolko-federatsij.html

Not exactly the 8 finalists, but maximum 8 finalists.
They proposed that after all GP will be done and all 6 finalist will be decided, if it would be a skater/pair, who was in TEB and placed 7 or 8 in final standing, then they become a finalist too. So, it may be up from 6 to 8 finalist in GPF.

Sound reasonable for me.

I would actually prefer just take 8. I don't like the idea of the extra if you are popular approach. Too much opinion is added. Expanding it to 8 and letting things fall where they may is more impartial.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
So still no official decision yet I'm assuming?

Will the ISU post a communication online about their decision or will we have to wait and hear it from the skating federations?

jagragold

On the Ice
So still no official decision yet I'm assuming?

Will the ISU post a communication online about their decision or will we have to wait and hear it from the skating federations?

An announcement will likely be released tomorrow. I assume it will be posted on the official ISU website.

desertskates

Medalist
It must be so frustrating for the skaters to pack up and head home with no result. :( Hope a fair decision is reached by tomorrow.

eta

Medalist
It must be so frustrating for the skaters to pack up and head home with no result. :( Hope a fair decision is reached by tomorrow.

Good to hear they were able to go home at least, I wasn't keeping up when the flights were un-suspended.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Maybe they are waiting to see if CoR also will need to be cancelled. Just now, a big soccer match was called off in Germany.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I don't like the idea of the extra if you are popular approach. Too much opinion is added. Expanding it to 8 and letting things fall where they may is more impartial.
I would also rather see it be expanded to 8 and include all skaters, not just those from TEB. But it's not extra if you are popular approach - it's if a skater/pair skated in TEB and is 7th or 8th in the GPF ranking with his/her/their TEB SP placing and the placing at their other event after all GP events are finished. It is clear that the Russian federation came up with this solution mainly because of Tuktamysheva, but it applies also to other TEB skaters who are not Tuktamysheva or Chan (like Daisuke Murakami, James/Cipress, Seguin/Bilodou and Gilles/Porier).

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
http://fsrussia.ru/news/1433-aleksa...rye-uzhe-podderzhali-neskolko-federatsij.html

Not exactly the 8 finalists, but maximum 8 finalists.
They proposed that after all GP will be done and all 6 finalist will be decided, if it would be a skater/pair, who was in TEB and placed 7 or 8 in final standing, then they become a finalist too. So, it may be up from 6 to 8 finalist in GPF.

Sound reasonable for me.

So basically very similar to what I've been proposing all along, except I would have made it 8 spots across the board.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
If it means Daisuke Murakami makes the GPF, I'd be a very happy camper indeed. :yahoo:

Come on ISU, give us some news already.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If it means Daisuke Murakami makes the GPF, I'd be a very happy camper indeed. :yahoo:

Come on ISU, give us some news already.

With two thirds.

But an actual Grand Prix winner is unlikely to make it.

Really, the only fair method is to arrange for the free skate to take place.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Really, the only fair method is to arrange for the free skate to take place.
Probably, yes, but since we're very likely not going to be able to get a fair result... I can hope. :luv17:

edit to add: with two thirds? Just curious, didn't Yuzuru Hanyu make the top six with second and... fifth? points-wise, that's lower than three and three? So stranger things have happened, I think.

But, still all speculation. *sigh* Come on, ISU!!!

Last edited: