TEB is Cancelled | Page 38 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Probably, yes, but since we're very likely not going to be able to get a fair result... I can hope. :luv17:
It's not as if the Grand Prix system is "fair" in the first place.

Strong fields in any individual event can mean that a strong skater/team doesn't reach the final. Similarly, weak fields in any individual event can mean that a comparitively weak skater does reach the final.

And as far as I'm concerned that's part of the "fun" of the GP... there's some randomness and some strategy, that doesn't exist in say, World's. We never know what's going to happen.

So personally, I can't really get much worked up about resolving TEB in a way that is 100% fair (it's impossible anyway). From my point of view it will become just another "unexpected" or "random" factor in the GP series...

My only concern is that whatever they come up with, should be robust enough to form the basis of a set of new rules - for any future GP event that has to be suddenly cancelled... for any reason... and at any stage of the competition... and encompassing GPF qualification points, tie-breakers, prize money, etc etc.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
My only concern is that whatever they come up with, should be robust enough to form the basis of a set of new rules
I suppose they could just come up with something now, because it's such short day, and include a clause in the statement saying that they will make a set of new rules for future incidents, that this is a one-off solution specifically for this situation, without setting any precedents. But it would be smart to tackle the problem once and for all.
A long as it doesn't keep us waiting much longer, because I suck at waiting. :furious:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
edit to add: with two thirds? Just curious, didn't Yuzuru Hanyu make the top six with second and... fifth? points-wise, that's lower than three and three? So stranger things have happened, I think.

And I wouldn't have a problem with two thirds qualifying if there wasn't a very deserving Grand Prix winner who will now miss the final because he didn't get the same chance offered to every other skater on the GP...

EDIT:

Yeah, yeah, I know. "He should have skated a better short". Well, so should any one of a dozen other skaters at previous GP events this season. They all got a shot at making up for it.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
didn't Yuzuru Hanyu make the top six with second and... fifth? points-wise, that's lower than three and three? So stranger things have happened, I think.

But, still all speculation. *sigh* Come on, ISU!!!

no, he was 4th at NHK so its same as 3-3, but other medalists from previsous GPs didnt get medals also so Yuzu barely made it :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
With two thirds.

But an actual Grand Prix winner is unlikely to make it.

Really, the only fair method is to arrange for the free skate to take place.

Right from the start, I said that if it was an ideal world, then the FS would be rescheduled, and there would be no problem. But, this isn't an ideal world, and the calendar is too chock-a-block to fit in what would essentially be an extra event. So, for me, the only realistic option was to declare the SP results as final.

But, all these mad-cap ideas floating about show that people are willing to consider anything, no matter how crazy it is, to avoid having a 1 round competition.

It is hard to believe that some of these ideas that are being suggested are actually being taken seriously by the powers that be! It's as if the lunatics are taking over the asylum!

So, when basing it on the SP results seems to be out of favour, and the alternatives are these, the only option I can get behind is somehow trying to find time to fit in the Free Skates.

Most skaters that consider themselves as being in with a chance of getting to the GP Final would have left that week free anyway, just in case. So, what could be done is to schedule the Free Skates for the Tuesday in Barcelona.

Looking back over the schedules for the past few GP Finals, this is do-able. Yes, it would mean doing 3 segments in the space of 5 days. But, wasn't that the way it was for the Ice Dancers up to only a few years ago...?

Plus, last season, we had the EYOF and Europeans held in the space of a single week. And, despite the fact they were in different countries, there were some skaters that competed in both. That is 4 segments in 7 days. Including the SP of Europeans the day after the FS of the EYOF. And you know what? These skaters not only competed in both events, but did well in both events:

Angelīna Kučvaļska (5th in EYOF, 7th in Euros)
Anastasia Galustyan (7th in EYOF, 13th in Euros)
Aleksandra Golovkina (14th in EYOF, 19th in Euros)

So, it can be done!

And if you hold the TEB Free Skates in the same venue as the GP Final, then it makes it even easier for the skaters to do both, as they wouldn't have the added complication of more travelling! (Although, it would mean that the venue would need to be ready earlier).

So, quit messing about with considering mad-cap ideas, ISU, and just do it this way!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
It's not as if the Grand Prix system is "fair" in the first place.

Strong fields in any individual event can mean that a strong skater/team doesn't reach the final. Similarly, weak fields in any individual event can mean that a comparitively weak skater does reach the final.

Which always plays a role in sport. To be at the right place, at the right time. ;) There is sadly no medal for having the least luck or weakest opponents.

Steven Bradbury knows that well, doesn't he? :agree:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Which always plays a role in sport. To be at the right place, at the right time. ;) There is sadly no medal for having the least luck or weakest opponents.

Steven Bradbury knows that well, doesn't he? :agree:

As aussies say in a really bogan accent, "yeah bradbury, you bloody legend"

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
CaroLiza_fan, you didn't take costs into consideration in your proposal, for ISU, federations, and skaters. Even if it's just for a Free Skate, it costs everybody the same as attending another GP except for one fewer day of accommodation for the skaters and their coaches, as well as travel costs for those who eventually qualify.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza_fan, you didn't take costs into consideration in your proposal, for ISU, federations, and skaters. Even if it's just for a Free Skate, it costs everybody the same as attending another GP except for one fewer day of accommodation for the skaters and their coaches, as well as travel costs for those who eventually qualify.

But, surely in circumstances like this, you would like to think that the hotels or the ISU would cover the extra costs as a goodwill gesture.

Even though it would mean that they would end up out of pocket, it would do wonders for their public image! (And, let's face it, the ISU could do with some good publicity!)

That was the way I was thinking, anyway!

CaroLiza_fan

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Who would have thought that TEB would be cancelled? Seriously.
You guys forget that it is going to take place in Russia. Russia can handle everything in such a way than the competition will take place. So there is no need to panick and start this kind of scaring assumptions. Guys, stop it. For the sake of figure skating, athletes and fans- let us all think positive.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Seriously, who would have thought that 4 days later we still wouldn't know what is going to happen regarding skaters qualifying (or not qualifying!) for the GPF! I don't know about anyone else, but I am checking constantly to see if there is any news. I can't even imagine how the skaters must be feeling as they wonder day after day how this all is going to be resolved!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
You guys forget that it is going to take place in Russia. Russia can handle everything in such a way than the competition will take place. So there is no need to panick and start this kind of scaring assumptions. Guys, stop it. For the sake of figure skating, athletes and fans- let us all think positive.

Thinking positive is one thing, and I am all for thinking positive.

No one is panicking. But cockiness is as unwelcome as panicking, IMO. I would ask you to please refrain from cockiness.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not a decision, but yesterday FFSG published a msg from Cinquanta:

17 novembre 2015

Message de Monsieur Ottavio Cinquanta, Président de la Fédération Internationale de Patinage (ISU) :

» I wish to extend in the name of the International Skating Union very sincere expressions of esteem and consideration for the extremely hard moments France has been the object of an unbelievable tough attack. We clearly hope and believe that your Country will be in a position to recoup very soon towards the dramatic consequence of what happened in Paris.

We are well aware that the Event in Bordeaux had to be cancelled, but this is another point. »

Ottavio Cinquanta

ISU President

https://ffsg.org/ottavio-cinquanta/

(Sorry if this msg already was posted on GS. I just noticed it on the FFSG site.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Don't twist my words, please.

Pretending that Russia (or any other country) is immune from terrorism = cockiness, IMO.

And assuming that Russia (or any other country) would have permitted the free skates to go forward (if in France's shoes) = more cockiness.

Last edited: