TSL interview with Ilia Malinin | Page 6 | Golden Skate

TSL interview with Ilia Malinin

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This probably sounds mean and will get the thumbs down from Jason fans (which BTW I don't dislike Jason) Jason will likely be the same skater next year that he is this year - without a consistent quad so whether he still competes or not, if Vincent and Nathan retire then Ilia is still carrying US Mens skating for big competitions, a quadless man is not independently competive at the big competitions.

Except when he wins the silver medal at 2020 4CCs. :biggrin:

I don't care if opinions are "mean". I care if they're based in results rather than some stereotype of "stuck in the past, can't compete, quads quads quads the only way to get points", that aren't based on fact.

(and results don't get to be explained away by "oh, it was a splatfest", "Oh, no one was there". The Packers lost to the Niners, no one cares about the excuses. ;) )

ETA: and I do apologize, this has nothing to do with Ilia's interview.:ot:

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
When I'm playing around on Skating Scores, I always use the name "Mikhail Chesnokov" for the imaginary protocol for a male skater and "Hitomi Takeuchi" for the imaginary protocol for a female skater. Because Russian men are my favorite men and Japanese ladies are my favorite ladies, I just made up appropriate names and use them every time I'm manipulating protocols on Skating Scores. Starting today, Mikhail Chesnokov has retired and I will now be using "Alexei Krasnoshev."

Of course, this has nothing to do with Malinin's interview, but neither do most of the posts written in this thread.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed this interview with Ilia and felt like I really got to know him better. It was fun to hear him speak. Seems pretty much like a normal, talented "kid". No questions about the Olys. Topics covered:

--What was your goal going into Nats?
--When did you feel you were consistent with quads?
--How much pressure did you feel for the FS at Nats?
--What will your goals be for Worlds?
--How did you handle the GPF being cancelled?
--How long did it take you to train doing 4 quads in a program?
--How did you feel about your performance on this year's JGP?
--When did you start working with Raf? Do you work on other things besides jumps?
--What is it like to go back and forth between Virginia and California for training? Do you go quad for quad with Nathan during your work at Raf's rink?
--What has your progression with the jumps been like? Which jump was the hardest, and what has the learning process been like?
--Was it hard getting back on the ice after quarantine?
--Is the 4A a serious goal for you? Have you studied the 4A of others?
--What is the learning technique for jumping a 4-4? Do you really want to compete a 4-4?
--What is it like having your parents as coaches? Do you talk skating at home?
--How is your younger sister's skating going?
--What are your plans for next season? Will you move to California?
--Outside of the rink, what are your interests?

Adding -- I see TontoK posted a summary on p. 3 of this thread. Didn't mean to duplicate your efforts.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Choosing not to watch is a far cry from not watching the interview, and then spreading gross misinterpretations of what transpired. ...

(y)
Thanks to Tonto and @Arriba627 for providing thorough details on what Ilia's interview did cover.
And for underlining that it steered completely clear of the topic of Olympic team selection.

To be honest with 2nd tier skaters skaters like Camden and Tomoki struggling and not knowing if someone like Alex Torgashev will ever come back and live up to his promise he showed at times they need someone like Jason to hang around for another year or so if Nathen is done and Vincent goes off to college. Having a 17 year old carry the US men is asking a lot of someone even as talented as Ilia.

Nathan did it when he was 17 ...

As someone who likes Nathan as well as others, I do not think that 17-year-old Nathan singlehandedly was "carrying" the U.S. men in a comparable way to what Jammers had in mind.

Nathan was age 17 from May 2016 to May 2017 -- when Jason and Adam certainly were making worthy international contributions for Team USA (with Nathan leading the pack).

2017 WTT SP: Nathan 2nd place, Jason 5th
2017 WTT FS: Nathan 4th, Jason 6th

2017 Worlds: Nathan 6th, Jason 7th

2017 Four Continents: Nathan 1st, Jason 6th

2016/17 Grand Prix Final: Nathan 2nd, Adam 6th

2016 GP placements:
Nathan: 4th and 2nd
Adam: 3rd and 3rd
Jason: 2nd and 7th
Max: 5th and 4th​

Sorry for off topic.
Go, Team USA. :ghug:

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
As someone who likes Nathan, I do not think that 17-year-old Nathan singlehandedly was "carrying" the U.S. men in a comparable way to what Jammers had in mind.

Placements really don't tell the whole story, though. There's also the matter of being the focus of attention and shouldering the pressure of expectations, which I think is more along the lines of what I feel Jammers was referring to (although I could be wrong). As his senior debut season progressed the media spotlight became increasingly focused on Nathan, and then especially after he beat Hanyu at 4CC it just blew up and people began to talk about his being a World/Olympic medal contender. None of the other US men ever received that kind of talk.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan did it when he was 17, so it's not too young if Ilia is truly destined for greatness. In any case Vincent has confirmed he plans to continue, though I've not heard anything definitive from either Jason or Nathan yet.
Nathan is a generational talent. In my opinion we should not assume that because he was able to do it that anyone else will be able to.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Placements really don't tell the whole story, though. There's also the matter of being the focus of attention and shouldering the pressure of expectations, which I think is more along the lines of what I feel Jammers was referring to (although I could be wrong). As his senior debut season progressed the media spotlight became increasingly focused on Nathan, and then especially after he beat Hanyu at 4CC it just blew up and people began to talk about his being a World/Olympic medal contender. None of the other US men ever received that kind of talk.

If you are thinking of "carrying" U.S. men in terms of shouldering the pressure of expectations -- I will just say that we all can have our own opinions as to the degree of success that 17-year-old Nathan had in shouldering the pressure at 2017 Worlds.
I'm focusing on 17-year-old Nathan because this line of conversation started as a comparison of one 17-year-old to another.
(Yes, Nathan's senior career has been extraordinary ... with perhaps the best yet to come. :pray:)

I agree that placements don't tell the whole story -- but to me, they sufficed as a quick overview of the top U.S. men in 2016-17.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed this interview with Ilia and felt like I really got to know him better. It was fun to hear him speak. Seems pretty much like a normal, talented "kid". No questions about the Olys. Topics covered:

-<snip>

Adding -- I see TontoK posted a summary on p. 3 of this thread. Didn't mean to duplicate your efforts.

I thought he sounded remarkably "normal" too. Laid back, relaxed, a little nervous at the start perhaps... just what you'd expect from a 17 year old guy.

Thanks for adding your list of topics covered. My list was done from my personal recollections from one viewing, and you hit some things I had forgotten. No duplication of effort at all, and considering the unfortunate speculations about the interview, the actual truth can't be shared enough.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I guess I have a love/not love, thing going on with TSL. When Jenny was there, I used to watch it quite often. Once she left, it seemed more like a gossip site than anything else. I still watch them when they have an interesting guest, and I thought Ilia would be an interesting interview. There is only so much of Dave that I can take at a time. He was never an elite level skater yet, he certainly talks like he was....

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Except when he wins the silver medal at 2020 4CCs. :biggrin:

I don't care if opinions are "mean". I care if they're based in results rather than some stereotype of "stuck in the past, can't compete, quads quads quads the only way to get points", that aren't based on fact.

(and results don't get to be explained away by "oh, it was a splatfest", "Oh, no one was there". The Packers lost to the Niners, no one cares about the excuses. ;) )

ETA: and I do apologize, this has nothing to do with Ilia's interview.:ot:
Ummm for the life of me, can someone tell me what ETA stands for ??? I've exhausted my brain trying to figure that one out!! 😩