What are some questions you've always wanted to ask a figure skater? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

What are some questions you've always wanted to ask a figure skater?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If there was one thing you could change in today's figure skating, what would it be?

Too much focus on the jumps and how many times you can spin in the air before you break your body and are disabled at 30. More focus on becoming a complete skater and not just a jumper with nothing else in the program, need more focus on proper edge quality and artistry.

That is what I would change about the current state of figure skating.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Too much focus on the jumps and how many times you can spin in the air before you break your body and are disabled at 30. More focus on becoming a complete skater and not just a jumper with nothing else in the program, need more focus on proper edge quality and artistry.

That is what I would change about the current state of figure skating.

Me too and I am going to start a thread about the direction in which artistic gymnastics is going, with more emphasis on beautiful clean gymnastics and less on extremely hard tricks.

No. Allure is a well-known magazine (with an emphasis on beauty) published by Conde Nast.

AFAIK, Allure does not make the products that Mirai uses in the video.
And I doubt that she is a paid spokesperson for the products, although the video is good P.R. exposure for the products.

ETA:
A possible exception re Mirai not being a compensated spokesperson is KT tape, although I do not know whether her KT sponsorship still was in effect at the time of the video.​

Thanks for the correction and the information on Mirai.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. Allure is a well-known magazine (with an emphasis on beauty) published by Conde Nast.

AFAIK, Allure does not make the products that Mirai uses in the video.
And I doubt that she is a paid spokesperson for the products, although the video is good P.R. exposure for the products.

ETA:
A possible exception re Mirai not being a compensated spokesperson is KT tape, although I do not know whether her KT sponsorship still was in effect at the time of the video.​

You can tell you’re a figure skating fan when you watch a 20 minute video of someone doing their makeup. Mirai and I both like glitter. Good to know. I’m actually surprised they don’t have anyone to help them on tour.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You can tell you’re a figure skating fan when you watch a 20 minute video of someone doing their makeup. Mirai and I both like glitter. Good to know. I’m actually surprised they don’t have anyone to help them on tour.

Tours aren't as grand or as they used to be. Now the try to run as low cost and low key as possible.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have to admit I do not go. I spend my skate watching money on competitions.

I'm not singling you out here.

But those that do this are one of the reasons show skating is dying off and it's sad, because both have a place in the sport.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not singling you out here.

But those that do this are one of the reasons show skating is dying off and it's sad, because both have a place in the sport.

Actually I would like to go to one but none come close. Reading is a 2 day drive. I could go to SOI or Nationals. Next year the closest (unless they add more dates) is in San Jose. That is a 4 day drive, 8 day round trip. I won’t even do that for Nationals. SOI is a max 12 hour drive for me. I’ve got Olympic Gymnastics trials here in St Louis this summer and I’m not missing them. Right after that is Philadelphia International. I won’t be going to Nationals next year. So if SOI comes somewhat reasonably close I could replace Nationals with it.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Actually I would like to go to one but none come close. Reading is a 2 day drive. I could go to SOI or Nationals. Next year the closest (unless they add more dates) is in San Jose. That is a 4 day drive, 8 day round trip. I won’t even do that for Nationals. SOI is a max 12 hour drive for me. I’ve got Olympic Gymnastics trials here in St Louis this summer and I’m not missing them. Right after that is Philadelphia International. I won’t be going to Nationals next year. So if SOI comes somewhat reasonably close I could replace Nationals with it.

Airplanes. Unless you don't like to fly.