What The Fabric Costume Award | Page 6 | Golden Skate

What The Fabric Costume Award

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
sorry dear, too plain :biggrin: extra is the key (hers is nice :biggrin:)

my partner in crime @labgoat explained already:biggrin:
I figured.. tho his caused some comments. That’s why I did not mention a category. Are Junior costumes eligible.. probably not..
Back to my image file😁

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Obviously the award has to be called an Elektra. Duh!

And for the most WTF costume of all time, I nominate Domnina/Shabalin’s “Aboriginal” OD costumes, from the 2009/10 season.
Yes, through the myriad of WTFedness over history, that one stands out... though I have to also give a nod to the Ilia Kulik giraffe thing, as for the life of us we can't even work out what he is trying to do with the costume let alone how it relates to his music or program. And yep yep yep to...
I'd like to nominate Jana Khokhlova for the career award, although it will be hard to beat Weir, especially since it has to be considered that being a woman in ice dance makes it easier to have outstanding costumes. Anyway, she has given too much to the figure skating world to not be considered.

russias-jana-khokhlova-and-sergei-novitski-perform-their-original-dance-during-the-ice-dance.jpg

df97fbdca3b0a2d2183561f016773d1f

Jana_KHOKHLOVA_Sergei_NOVITSKI_EC_2009_OD.jpg

Or, on a second thought, maybe it should be Novitsky?

russias-jana-khokhlova-and-sergei-novitski-perform-their-free-dance-at-the-scandinavium-arena-in.jpg

I nominate them both.
Yep yep yep.
jana-khokhlovaoprn-11036-midjpg.jpg
appreciation-post-for-jana-khokhlova-and-sergei-novitskis-v0-jw2ap50liifb1.jpg

I have loved this couple for absolutely years they are so OTT it is glorious. (Their skating is also OTT by the way, definitely athletic rather than artistic/beautiful as you can probably tell by the wild poses in all of their stills online :biggrin:)

The most beautiful of all time would be a completely different and impossibly unwieldy animal though, due in no small part to our very very different standards on 'beautiful' (I have a folder, there are at least 100 'favourites' in there not counting Yuzu and by being absolutely ruthless I've narrowed his down to a dozen and counting. And then there's Shoma. And Eunsoo and all the Korean girls. And...). Even most beautiful this season would be tough.

Last edited:

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have loved this couple for absolutely years they are so OTT it is glorious. (Their skating is also OTT by the way, definitely athletic rather than artistic/beautiful as you can probably tell by the wild poses in all of their stills online :biggrin:)

The most beautiful of all time would be a completely different and impossibly unwieldy animal though, due in no small part to our very very different standards on 'beautiful' (I have a folder, there are at least 100 'favourites' in there not counting Yuzu and by being absolutely ruthless I've narrowed his down to a dozen and counting. And then there's Shoma. And Eunsoo and all the Korean girls. And...). Even most beautiful this season would be tough.
I have the same dilemma. I have favorite classical skaters, favorites who push boundaries, inspirational skaters like Paul Wylie, OTT skaters such as Jana & Sergei, skaters who creates abstract, subtle and/or impressionist beauty, skaters who live for performance and on and on. Ask me my favorite male skater - Curry, Cranston, Cousins, Orser, Boitano, Wylie, Browning, Petrenko, Barna, Chen, Shoma, Yuzu, Jason, Ilia - all of the above!

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not from this year, but Nathan Chen's Rocketman shirts are certainly...something! They honestly work so well for the program, but I feel like they are definitely WTF-worthy!
Who else would think to wear a volcano shirt for rocketman!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ask me my favorite male skater - Curry, Cranston, Cousins, Orser, Boitano, Wylie, Browning, Petrenko, Barna, Chen, Shoma, Yuzu, Jason, Ilia - all of the above!
not sure we can be friends anymore since you didn't mention Patrick :laugh2: (just being a brat... bored at home, with covid...)

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
not sure we can be friends anymore since you didn't mention Patrick :laugh2: (just being a brat... bored at home, with covid...)
I didn’t mention Denis Ten either - probably cause I worked 12 hours! Honestly I was falling asleep as I typed.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have the same dilemma. I have favorite classical skaters, favorites who push boundaries, inspirational skaters like Paul Wylie, OTT skaters such as Jana & Sergei, skaters who creates abstract, subtle and/or impressionist beauty, skaters who live for performance and on and on. Ask me my favorite male skater - Curry, Cranston, Cousins, Orser, Boitano, Wylie, Browning, Petrenko, Barna, Chen, Shoma, Yuzu, Jason, Ilia - all of the above!
I know - hell, everyone knows - my most dearly loved skater of all time is Yuzu, but like probably most of you I have a folder of favourite competition videos (2120 and counting... to be fair, some are every. single. separate. video. of. that. performance. available.) and if one were to ask for a single defining thread between all the skaters therein, I couldn't tell you to save my life and I doubt anyone else could (I am also not sure if @4everchan will be happy or not to hear that yes, some of Patrick's are in there :biggrin:).

But I also have a folder of costumes (I am into costuming in general), the great, the good the not too bad and the ohgodwhydidtheyappearinpublicinTHAT (though obviously not the dull, which cut out a lot of men) and that is where the dozen different Yuzu ones are - again and counting, some of the show ones are to die for. If we were to do a 2023-24 competition-only best of, there's a little Chinese couple I really really want to nominate...

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I know - hell, everyone knows - my most dearly loved skater of all time is Yuzu, but like probably most of you I have a folder of favourite competition videos (2120 and counting... to be fair, some are every. single. separate. video. of. that. performance. available.) and if one were to ask for a single defining thread between all the skaters therein, I couldn't tell you to save my life and I doubt anyone else could (I am also not sure if @4everchan will be happy or not to hear that yes, some of Patrick's are in there :biggrin:).

But I also have a folder of costumes (I am into costuming in general), the great, the good the not too bad and the ohgodwhydidtheyappearinpublicinTHAT (though obviously not the dull, which cut out a lot of men) and that is where the dozen different Yuzu ones are (again and counting, some of the show ones are to die for). If we were to do a 2023-24 competition-only best of, there's a little Chinese couple I really really want to nominate...
for the career award you can nominate whoever you want (with pictures), for the other catetories only costumes from this season.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
for the career award you can nominate whoever you want (with pictures), for the other catetories only costumes from this season.
I do like the two career ones so far; others had definite lowlights (or highlights in all the wrong but entertaining ways) but not so consistently :coffee: Though Domnina and Shabalin, even if there's an argument they should get a nom just for THAT atrocity we all remember alone, have a claim to be pretty dire at other times...
gettyimages-96972171-2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Costumes like this are why I thought FS was a trashy, embarrassing catastrophe when I was a teenager. So much fabric, so much wtf.... Meryl and Charlie and Tessa and Scott saved my soul after experiencing the "aboriginal" abomination at the 2010 Olympics.
There should be a award for "makes the casual viewer run for the hills".

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Costumes like this are why I thought FS was a trashy, embarrassing catastrophe when I was a teenager. So much fabric, so much wtf.... Meryl and Charlie and Tessa and Scott saved my soul after experiencing the "aboriginal" abomination at the 2010 Olympics.
And yet, and yet... my hero, for who FS purists spent years criticising and damning his costumes (I do recall someone claiming they would actually prevent him from ever winning major awards) is now a Gucci ambassador - who would have predicted that 8-10 years ago? - and both his and Shoma's sparkly spectaculars are regularly in exhibitions and dearly loved. So maybe we should be a leeeetle cautious in lowering the fashion boom lest the future lowers it on us... Nah. Where's the fun in that?

Back to the subject at hand, this year's costumes, I don't think there were any that will be shoved into the WTF Hall of Fame in the future, and even the worst (that black and canary suit on one of the juniors, Jacob Sanchez?) are really rather... restrained. Except Anthony. I love Anthony.