Who will make the JGPF? | Golden Skate

Who will make the JGPF?

zebobes

Final Flight
Now that 4 events are over, we're starting to get an overall picture of who will make the final.

I'm not going to do an in depth dive, but I just wanted to start a thread to get everyone's thoughts.

I think with Dance and Pairs, we have a pretty good idea who will make it, barring disaster. For pairs, I think it's interesting that while Russia could have easily arranged it so that 6 Russian pairs are at the final, they decided to let three different pairs have an opportunity to get a bronze, and are picking the one with the highest scoring to go to the final pair event to get to the final. That means Russia will only :laugh: have 5 pairs, and depending on which team ends up on top, 3 different pairs could have a chance to end up at the final. Lockley/Prochnow, if they get at least 4th, will be a shoo-in for the final. They could even end up 5th, if they end up with a higher total score.

As for Dance, I think 5 of the dance teams look to be a shoo-in for the final, barring disaster.
Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA (CAN)
Arina USHAKOVA / Maxim NEKRASOV (RUS)
Elizaveta KHUDAIBERDIEVA / Nikita NAZAROV (RUS)
Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO (RUS)
Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK (USA)
The only thing is, I have no idea if a dance team like the Greens, who have mysteriously disappeared from the JGP, might get assigned to the last two events, and cause some unexpected results. I don't follow Junior Dance very closely, so I don't know if there are any other significant teams left to compete. The Greens are probably injured, so if that's the case, I don't expect them to have HUGE scores right as they're coming back, but you never know.

For the Ladies, the main question is which non-Russian will make it to the final? Yelim Kim looks to be the most likely candidate, but the pressure might get to her. I also find it interesting that Russia's goal is not to have an all-Russian final, but to give as many girls as possible a chance to compete. In the end, only 4 or 5 Russian girls might end up with two assignments-- whichever 2nd placing girl has the highest scores.

For men, I have no idea who is going to make it the final. We now have 4 different gold medalists, which makes the field pretty volatile. Add to that we won't know what Artur Danielan's condition is until the final two events, but if he has recovered, he has the potential to score well too. I think the men's will be a question mark all the way until the final event, but we could very well end up with a number of gold medalists not making it to the final.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Regarding dance, Kuts/Mikhailov have what looks like a strong shot at the silver medal in Yerevan, since if the Greens actually do make it there it seems unlikely to me that they're going to be in top form; LaGouge/Rahier seem like the only other team that could potentially challenge them, and we haven't seen them yet this season.

Assuming that's the case, K/M have two silver medals and are in the Final, which means that after the Canadians and the top three Russian teams (U/N, S/E, K/N) the battle for the sixth spot will come down to which of Nguyen/Kolesnik and Shaeneva/Narzynyy can take the silver medal in Ljubljana.

Russia is totally wasting its second spot in Ostrava, incidentally, by not giving it to the silver medalists from Richmond who don't even have a second event.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm not sure that there will be a non-Russian lady at the final. If Vasilieva gets second place at Ostrava, she will get a second assignment, and then she or Tarakanova will have a second spot at Yerevan. A silver there for either of them would complete an all-Russian final, especially since Vasilieva getting second at Ostrava would push Yelim to at least bronze or below.

Regarding pairs, Russia is only giving five teams two assignments. So who else would make it? They've swept every podium so far, and there's just one event left.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hoping that Tomoki, Camden and Andrew T will make the final. It would be cool to have three US men in it this year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hoping that Tomoki, Camden and Andrew T will make the final. It would be cool to have three US men in it this year.

Three US men in 2017, three US men in 2018? One can only hope (with Camden and Andrew T., should they make it, being returnees):hap10: and of course last year Camden being the surprise (to many) silver medalist.

But the spots are wide open and spread among so many countries; why I love the junior men:luv17:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Regarding dance, Kuts/Mikhailov have what looks like a strong shot at the silver medal in Yerevan, since if the Greens actually do make it there it seems unlikely to me that they're going to be in top form; LaGouge/Rahier seem like the only other team that could potentially challenge them, and we haven't seen them yet this season.

Assuming that's the case, K/M have two silver medals and are in the Final, which means that after the Canadians and the top three Russian teams (U/N, S/E, K/N) the battle for the sixth spot will come down to which of Nguyen/Kolesnik and Shaeneva/Narzynyy can take the silver medal in Ljubljana.

Russia is totally wasting its second spot in Ostrava, incidentally, by not giving it to the silver medalists from Richmond who don't even have a second event.

Kuts/Mikhailov had a 3rd, not a 2nd at their first event. And I don't think they are going to end up with a 2nd event - Ivanenko/Karpov had silver and Konkina/Vakhnov had bronze with a higher score than K/M, and neither has a 2nd spot currently - things will be switched.

For dance, Lajoie/Lagha are in. Then Shevchenko/Eremenko, Ushakova/Nekrasov and Khudaiberdieva/Nazarov should be in too. Of all the silver medalists, Nguyen/Kolesnik have the highest score by a bit, so they have a great shot at making it too. But Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy are also at JGP6 with them, so whoever gets the silver there will be in for sure. Then the final spot could be the other of them, or whoever gets silver at JGP7.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kuts/Mikhailov had a 3rd, not a 2nd at their first event.
Heh, duh, you’re right. Don’t know how I misremembered that. I even have that written on the little chart I made before posting.

Yeah, that being the case I’d expect Ivanenko/Karpov to get that spot. Though I feel bad for Shaeneva/Naryzhnyy, because they have probably my #2 free dance so far and it’s going to be a real dogfight for them.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Heh, duh, you’re right. Don’t know how I misremembered that. I even have that written on the little chart I made before posting.

Yeah, that being the case I’d expect Ivanenko/Karpov to get that spot. Though I feel bad for Shaeneva/Naryzhnyy, because they have probably my #2 free dance so far and it’s going to be a real dogfight for them.

Could Davis/Smolkin still be replaced? to not give a silver medaling team a second spot because of them... I know she's Eteri's daughter but I really don't think they've earned one.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Could Davis/Smolkin still be replaced? to not give a silver medaling team a second spot because of them... I know she's Eteri's daughter but I really don't think they've earned one.

That's what I'd like to see happen. But it would be a bronze medalist not getting a spot. Ivanenko/Karpov should get Kuts/Mikhailov's spot if Davis/Smolkin keep theirs. But if Davis/Smolkin are pulled, Ivanenko/Karpov can have a 2nd spot, and so can one of Kuts/Mikhailov or Konkina/Vakhnov.

And it would be really weird for Davis/Smolkin to get one, since even if they want another team to get a first chance, Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy beat them at that Moscow competition recently.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What do you guys think Gogolev’s chances are after that last JGP?
Not impossible (after all, Torgashev qualified with the same number of points last year), but he'd need the results of the remaining Grand Prix events to be chaotic in the right ways.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Russia calls off the head-to-head between Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy and Nguyen/Kolesnik for silver in Slovenia. Assuming the former get moved to Armenia (unless the reassignment is actually due to injury; hopefully not), that likely means both will make the Final with two silvers, giving us the complete roster of six.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Russia calls off the head-to-head between Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy and Nguyen/Kolesnik for silver in Slovenia. Assuming the former get moved to Armenia (unless the reassignment is actually due to injury; hopefully not), that likely means both will make the Final with two silvers, giving us the complete roster of six.

They are listed for Yerevan.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Pairs GPF Selections have been firmed up
1 Anastasia MISHINA / Aleksandr GALLIAMOV RUS 30
2 Polina KOSTIUKOVICH / Dmitrii IALIN RUS 28
3 Kseniia AKHANTEVA / Valerii KOLESOV RUS 26 (357.97)
4 Apollinariia PANFILOVA / Dmitry RYLOV RUS 26 (351.55)
5 Anastasia POLUIANOVA / Dmitry SOPOT RUS 22
6 Sarah FENG / TJ NYMAN USA 16
Alternates
7 Laiken LOCKLEY / Keenan PROCHNOW USA 14 279.74
8 Riku MIURA / Shoya ICHIHASHI JPN 13 273.07
9 Patricia ANDREW / Paxton FLETCHER CAN 13 260.45

After 5 events:
LADIES:
Alena KOSTORNAIA - 30 (401.88)
Anna SHCHERBAKOVA - 30 (400.95)
---
Yelim KIM - 26 (388.23)
Young YOU - 20
Shiika Yoshioka - 16

Upcoming
Anastasia TARAKANOVA - 13 190.69 (Slovenia) - WIN or 2nd w/197.54
Anna TARUSINA -13 186.88 (Slovenia) - WIN or 2nd w/ 201.35
Alexandra TRUSOVA - 15 221.24 (Armenia) - Podium placement
Alena Kanysheva - 13 191.84 (Armenia) - Win or 2nd w/ 196.39
Rion Sumiyoshi - 11 174.96 (Slovenia) - Win
Yi Christy Leung -9 177.22 (Slovenia) - Win
Seoyeong Wi - 9 176.50 (Armenia) Win
Haein Lee -9 165.42 (Slovenia) 0 Win

MEN:
Camden Pulkinen 28 (1st/2nd)
----
Andrew Torgashev 24 (1st/4th, 396.38)
Stephen Gogolev 22 (1st/5th, 414.30)
Kirill Iakovelev 22 (2nd/4th)
Mitsuki Sumoto 20 (2rd/5th)
Roman Savosin 18 (400.96)

Upcoming: (Placement needed to pass Andrew Torgeshev; Gogolev
Petr Gumennik, RUS, 15 220.04 (Slovenia) - Medal or 4th w/ 176.34; 5th w/194.26
Koshio Shimada JPN, 13 220.45 (Slovenia) - 1st/2nd; 3rd
Tomoki Hiwatashi USA, 13 213.24 (Slovenia) -1st/2nd; 3rd
Adam Siao Him Fa FRA, 11 199.14 (Armenia) - 1st; 2nd
Yuto Kishina, JPN, 11 191.80 (Armenia) - 1st w/197.24; 1st
Conrad Orzel, CAN, 9, 200.46 (Slovenia) - 1st w/195.92; 1st
Yuma Kagiyama, JPN, 9, 194.73 (Armenia) 1st w/201.65; 1st
Artur Danielian, RUS (Slovenia/Armenia)

DANCE:
Elizaveta KHUDAIBERDIEVA / Nikita NAZAROV -30
Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA - 28
---
Eliana GROPMAN / Ian SOMERVILLE - 18
Loicia DEMOUGEOT / Theo LE MERCIER - 16

Upcoming
Arina USHAKOVA / Maxim NEKRASOV RUS 15 168.17 (Armenia)
Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO RUS 15 158.70 (Slovenia)
Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK USA 13 161.84 (Slovenia)
Maria KAZAKOVA / Georgy REVIYA GEO 13 154.17 (Armenia)
Elizaveta SHANAEVA / Devid NARYZHNYY RUS 13 152.21 (Armenia)
Polina IVANENKO / Daniil KARPOV RUS 13 149.39 (Slovenia)

Last edited:

icetug

Medalist
I'd add to the list of contenders Artur Danielian, JWC silver medalist, who is assigned to both Slovenia and Armenia.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I'd add to the list of contenders Artur Danielian, JWC silver medalist, who is assigned to both Slovenia and Armenia.

In that same vein. Andrei MOZALEV just won today. So i could see him getting a spot depending on who wins next week that is.

bennorii

On the Ice
I think Mozalev is getting one regardless of what happens next week. Rusfed won't leave 15 points just sitting there... It's just a question of who he will be replacing.