Who will make the JGPF? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who will make the JGPF?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think in the future it would make sense for the Feds to be a bit more mindful of their assignments like Russia does with their ladies.

Some events had a lot of competition at the top while others were wide open.

Russia is one of those countries that could have been more mindful of its junior men assignments, IMHO.

The US was in fact very mindful, Camden, Andrew and Tomoki, were separated. And it shows in the results. Only one comp did not have a "top" US man, and that was the last one.

Canada had no way of knowing that skaters as talented as Conrad and Joseph and Stephen would run into difficulties.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I thought Russia took an unecessary risk with some Pairs assignments and made odd ID assignments as well, but in the end it seems to have mostly worked out for them in those disciplines, so...

Tomoki! :hap10:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
For the record, the following teams made the Ice Dance JGP Finals:

Arina Ushakova / Maxim Nekrasov, Russia
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva / Nikita Nazarov, Russia
Avonley Nguyen / Vadym Kolesnik, United States of America
Sofia Shevchenko / Igor Eremenko, Russia
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha, Canada
Maria Kazakova / Georgy Reviya, Georgia

Ziotic

Medalist
Russia is one of those countries that could have been more mindful of its junior men assignments, IMHO.

The US was in fact very mindful, Camden, Andrew and Tomoki, were separated. And it shows in the results. Only one comp did not have a "top" US man, and that was the last one.

Canada had no way of knowing that skaters as talented as Conrad and Joseph and Stephen would run into difficulties.

For Canada, it would have made more sense to send Conrad to Yerevan IMO, if he had won he’d be in the final. Not saying he would have but I think the chance would have been higher.

I also found it silly to send Stephen to Vancouver, I get the home country star but at least with the other assignments you have jet lag but in like a complete reset sort of way. In Vancouver you were asking a 13 year old to stay up 3 hours later than normal and compete at that time. I think Jo or Conrad would have been better equipped to handle that at 18.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think Danielan's injury and the Greens'/Lagouge & Rahier's/Fisher & Mallette-Paquette's unknown status made predicting fields difficult in those two disciplines. All those athletes likely would have gone up early at least once had there been a choice. Countries couldn't know who would show up at season's end. The men are always hard to predict, though. I thought Canada split their guys up just fine. Conrad had a rough free in his first outing and Stephen had a rough second event, but it wasn't because of the field. The 2nd to last event for the men was crazy deep, but we couldn't know that was the one where everyone would deliver. Most of those guys weren't ranked at the top for their countries heading into the season. Therefore, it turned out to be one of those events where a lot of athletes with the potential to medal competed against each other. And those guys really delivered.

*I thought Russia played it smart & gutsy with Shevchenko & Eremenko in Austria, though. They knew Lajoie & Lagha's scores would probably be crazy high at home in Canada. And they took the risk of putting their most experienced Junior team up against L&L early at a previous event in neutral territory. Because a head-to-head win is a head-to-head win. S&E could have lost in Austria, but they didn't.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I thought Russia took an unecessary risk with some Pairs assignments and made odd ID assignments as well, but in the end it seems to have mostly worked out for them in those disciplines, so...

Tomoki! :hap10:

There's no reason that Pepeleva/Pleshkov didn't deserve the spot that Kvartalova/Sviatchenko got though. Definitely could've made the final.

moriel

Record Breaker
I think in the future it would make sense for the Feds to be a bit more mindful of their assignments like Russia does with their ladies.

Some events had a lot of competition at the top while others were wide open.

in men, overall, there is no "mindful assignments", it is somehow more chaotic.
I mean, look this season, for ladies, the #1 and #2 were pretty predictable for all events. Meanwhile for men... Who would have thought Gogolev would be out of JGPF before he bombed his second event? After Mozalev won gold, who would have expected him to bomb so badly?

Also, overall, there is a second thing. For Russian ladies, the rusfed strategy making is fairly easy, since russian ladies dominate, so, basically, they don't really need to take into account what other feds decide that much.
For men, its different, since each fed has 1-2 very strong boys, which means all the strategies depend on the other feds too. For example, a fed can send a skater to an event that is wide open, basically a guaranteed gold for the skater. Then, another fed enters the game, and replaces someone at that event, and whops, the event is suddenly stacked.

moriel

Record Breaker
There's no reason that Pepeleva/Pleshkov didn't deserve the spot that Kvartalova/Sviatchenko got though. Definitely could've made the final.

I think that, behind rusfed decisions, there may be also other reasons that are not just "win the most medals" and "get the most skaters into gpf".
FS is state funded in russia, and coaches get rewarded by state for the international success of their skaters. This means rusfed may use the spots for internal politiking, and also be used for internal politiking.

We seen a lot of this, including the "no 3 Eteri girls" stuff (and yep, i would bet money that, this year, they will not send the whole 3A to JW if they can).

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
in men, overall, there is no "mindful assignments", it is somehow more chaotic.
I mean, look this season, for ladies, the #1 and #2 were pretty predictable for all events. Meanwhile for men... Who would have thought Gogolev would be out of JGPF before he bombed his second event? After Mozalev won gold, who would have expected him to bomb so badly?

I agree that it's almost impossible to predict the men. Neither Gogolev nor Mozalev, though, had any JGP experience. I think it's fair to say that a bit more competitive experience at this level might help them deal with the challenge the next time around. The guys who qualified for the Final all have at least three years of experience on the JGP.

It really is a different trend from the ladies where so many of the top junior ladies move right up to seniors after a season or two on the JGP.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am finding the conversation interesting, and it makes a little more sense now with regard to choosing men for the JGP.

The US men had a very strong field. Two of the competitors had been to JGPF last year (Camden and Andrew), and one had medaled. Another US man (Tomoki) had medaled at Junior Worlds two years back. Although other countries had strong competitors, at any given comp these top three US men could defeat them (and did). Not the same domination as other countries at other events, but no fear of the competition either.

And since there was no fear, there was no way was the US going to send two of those three to the same comp.

And since it's the junior men, anything could happen, and did:biggrin:

zebobes

Final Flight
I am finding the conversation interesting, and it makes a little more sense now with regard to choosing men for the JGP.

The US men had a very strong field. Two of the competitors had been to JGPF last year (Camden and Andrew), and one had medaled. Another US man (Tomoki) had medaled at Junior Worlds two years back. Although other countries had strong competitors, at any given comp these top three US men could defeat them (and did). Not the same domination as other countries at other events, but no fear of the competition either.

And since there was no fear, there was no way was the US going to send two of those three to the same comp.

And since it's the junior men, anything could happen, and did:biggrin:

Last year, it was interesting because the US had four strong men, and so because of that, they had to send Tomoki and Andrew to the same competition. Even though Tomoki beat Andrew at that competition (Tomoki in 3rd, Andrew in 4th), Andrew managed to sneak into the JGPF over Tomoki, because a 2nd and 4th wins the tie-breaker over two 4ths (edit: 3rds, rather). Last year, the US almost got 4 US men into the JGPF.

This year, the US had a much easier time picking assignments, and thankfully even though the US technically only earned 7 spots over the entire JGP, because Italy doesn't have as many men, the US got all of their leftover spots.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Andrew managed to sneak into the JGPF over Tomoki, because a 2nd and 4th wins the tie-breaker over two 4ths.

Over two 3rds, which is what Tomoki had on the JGP last season. (I know you probably know this, but just correcting it to clarify it for others).

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whoa... Why has he withdrawn?

We don’t know (at least I don’t) why Andrew T. has withdrawn, at least nothing on his IG.

I’ve put this in every relevant thread:

:sad4: :sad4: :sad4:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We don’t know (at least I don’t) why Andrew T. has withdrawn, at least nothing on his IG.

I’ve put this in every relevant thread:

:sad4: :sad4: :sad4:

He said on his instagram that it was an injury that was taking slower to recover from.