2016 Skate America Ladies FS | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies FS

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Why are people shocked about Gracie? She has bombed many times already. Not to mention her interview before the competition. She was struggling with depression and disappointment.

It's killing me that with all her talent, fed support, and sponsors - that she only has ONE major international medal in the entirety of her Juniors and Senior career. And its a silver. Like.....that is mind-blowing to me. :shocked:

Except her Olympic team medal but I don't count that.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Gracie is just a very nervous person, I don´t think she hates to skate. The problem is this has not cure, so, I hope really her problem is weight, easy to solve :p.
Weight issue related to mentality you know. I lost 7 kgs while I was in depression. But some people gain weight and couldn't control it.

FishOutOfWater

Rinkside
Seeing Gracie Gold in this state makes me want to break down and bawl. I hope she can find happiness, passion, and meaning in her life again whether in figure skating or with something else.

andromache

Record Breaker
Weight issue related to mentality you know. I lost 7 kgs while I was in depression. But some people gain weight and couldn't control it.

Also: people experiencing long-term depression/anxiety can really benefit from anti-depressants, but those can impact weight and other aspects of body chemistry as well. Not great for an elite athlete.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
50/50 on Ashley's SP, love the shade of blue but hate the Sasha-eque cut down the front and the missing sleeve. Like the song but not the extended re-mix dance club part.
It is funny if you compare Ashley's short to Gracie's. Ashley has everything Gracie lacks. The spark, the energy, the fun and the flirtatious swag. Gracie's program calls for that but she remains stone faced thru it all.
Ashley's LP needs to work out some kinks here and there and it looked as if her and Raphael were discussing that in the K & C. It just comes off a little awkward to me. But it definitely has potential.
Miriah was great, such energy and joy. Wonderful to see. Loved her sp more than her lp. I don't feel that she 'wuz robbed'.

Gracie... ya gotta love it, ya gotta want to be out there. uuggg... hard to watch. :hopelessness:

annzee703

Rinkside
Thrilled to pieces that Ashley won Skate America. I may not like the music for her SP but, so be it. And Mariah Bell? I was just stunned with her skating, especially her graceful, quiet style. Hmmm...maybe finally there will be another Alissa Czyny (sp?) on the ice. How smart of her to switch to Raf. Not a fan of Gracie but I do believe what everyone's saying and that she needs to skate to music/programs she likes & enjoys. She probably needs to switch coaches too. Either that or find something more enjoyable to do in life. Competitive skating at that level is tough enough for those who love to skate for medals so why put yourself through that torture if your heart isn't in it.

ranjake

Final Flight
I think while this was not Ashley's best outing (although it was definitely good and deserving of 1st place), she did what she needed to do and she proved to herself she could keep it together while being the favorite and in the lead. I also give her credit for thinking on her feet and avoiding zayaking.

Mariah was lovely to watch. I think many fans have felt for years she had so many good qualities and was capable of being successful but the confidence she displayed here was something I've never seen from her. I hope she can build on this as the season goes on.

And +1 to whoever said Raf was the real winner of Skate America.

I love Ashley's LP and the potential I see there. The dress, the hair ...fantastic. Very strong first half- and then it seemed to get more difficult- like she was thinking through the skating. I'm not disappointed in that, so early in the season. What I love is the fight in Ashley. She might not be the best natural skater; and she might not even win- but she puts it all out there. Watching Gracie, with endless natural ability, rarely be able to put together 2 clean programs in a competition, let alone one, is getting beyond painful for me. I can't even imagine how Gracie feels, and my heart also breaks for Frank; though I'm convinced he's NOT the Coach for her any more. I have no idea what the answer is for Gracie or if there even is one. I hope so, somehow...

Rissa

Record Breaker
A few pounds can make a huge difference in figure skating.

Still, I doubt weight is her real problem. Poor Gracie.

A few pounds can make the difference, but Gracie's one of those sticks-for-arms-and-legs thin skaters. She looks like she could use a few pounds more, actually. If she believes she weighs too much, than there's a problem and not the one she thinks. :(

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I actually think Bell was robbed a gold medal here. But very disappointing competition overall. Sad for Mao but she is obviously not ready. Hope she can solve her injury problems and be ready for the important part of the season. Tho i am not Gracie's fan, I really feel for her. I would love to see her skate happier.

mary01

Final Flight
Such a lame competition...
No one was able to jump 7 triples.

Gold: she seemed rattled even during the warm-up... So painful to watch!
Mihara: I thought she would have completed all her jumping passes clean as a whistle...
Gabby: her triples are huge... Needs to semplify the entrance of the first 3Lz and to work on her 3L.
Mao: no comment :sad4: Seemed ill to me !
Bell: I don't get her programs... I hope they will grow on me though... (I still prefer Mirai/Polina over her). She has nice toe jumps!
Wagner: Her nw LP is sooo boring... 70 in PCS? Judges must have seen another program!

Ladies in JGP are way more competitive :shocked::shocked:

Mao did seem ill, she messed up jump passes she usually does in sleep, and had mistakes that were very uncharactiristic, when you see that you know she is ill, I hope she rests and heals well, I'm dying to see Mao in topform

Elaine666

Final Flight
Gracie's skate reminds me of her free program skate at 4CC of last season. Personal opinion, Gracie might wanto change her coach. Sorry about Frank, but whatever she is doing right now, does not work for her.

Barb

Record Breaker
A couple of GP medals at home do not equal multiple Worlds and Olympic gold medals.

Agree, not the same, but Rafael is more than a couple of GP medals, remember 2008, J. Buttle and Mao A. both world champions, I know, Mao left Rafael but just a weeks before worlds, really it was his job. And last year Ashley got silver world medal, no?

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I just realized that Mariah won the freeskate. Wooooow! Watch out Polina, Marai, Ashley and Gracie, Mariah is getting closer. ;)

Wow, all because of 1 performance? I am in Mariah's corner, for sure, but I think the 4 ladies you referenced have done it many times and Mariah has only started to scratch the surface. Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves! But it was something else, that is for sure!!

mcq

Record Breaker
About Gracie, if she wants to continue skating competitively she should find equilibrium first tbh. Many great skaters had slump and rough season and manage to pick themselves up. Mao and Kostner is what I have on the top of my mind. 10/11 was a pretty rough season for Mao but she came back. Yagudin almost quits skating after losing to Plush continously prior to Salt lake city. However, Gracie has yet to actually medal at major competitions like worlds, oly or even 4cc and gpf. It must have affect her confidence somehow. Look at what a world medal done to Ashley and arguably Pogorilaya, they skate with more confidence now. She just need to find her confidence back and keep bombing on competition is not helping her so I hope she finds a way.

andromache

Record Breaker
A few pounds can make the difference, but Gracie's one of those sticks-for-arms-and-legs thin skaters. She looks like she could use a few pounds more, actually. If she believes she weighs too much, than there's a problem and not the one she thinks. :(

Really? I've always seen Gracie as more fit and muscular, less waif-esque. (Waif girls: Evgenia and Sasha Cohen, for example).

Anyway, I don't think Gracie offhandedly blaming the fact that she's not at peak shape is any reason to assume she has any body image issues.

ranjake

Final Flight

Wasn't there a quote from Frank after the short that she's very thin/fit right now? She looks fit to me- the perfect weight.