2019 Four Continents Ladies Short Program | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Ladies Short Program

Fluture

Record Breaker
8th? I'm not objecting, but other than the double footed jump, what else was wrong?

Also, I adore the Japanese skaters but they all dance to soft music. I would love to see them have more powerful music, but I suppose lyrical music is more popular with Japanese audiences.

Congrats to Bradie and Mariah. It's nice to see the US women bring it. It was a great last group.

I think her combo got << on the 3T. That‘s a lot of points lost... Really uncharacteristic for Mai to make such a mistake. Hoping she has a better FS tomorrow. :(

Rika has a really great FS and the music isn‘t the typically Japanese soft figure skating style either!

But I just can‘t help but love the Japanese. Kaori really made me fall in love with her this season. Her jumps were my favorite today. That knee-bend... the 3Lo... just magnificent.

Mariah was my fave performance wise. Those PCS... I will probably never understand them. Way too low for her. But she‘s in third and that‘s great! Probably won‘t be after the FS since a few might move up (Rika, Mai...) but still. Well done!!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rika was not at her best.She is injured. This program only works when Rika sells it with her love of skating and lightness across the ice. But, the lp is much better. It suits her. I love Tom Dickson for programs. David Wilson not as much.

Perhaps the injury is the reason - I'm a fan of this skater, But, trying to be objective, that just was not good. I expect a better long, but she'll have to show me to maintain my rooting interest. No free rides!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I like Bradie's program. No offense to Japanese ladie's - their programs are boring and some of the same type. Bell and Tennel have beautiful and interesting programs.

I wish we had got to see Wakaba here, her SP is fun and lively. Although the music was unfamiliar to me, I got used to it!

Oh, Mai. Always a solid skater. Never a memorable program to her name, though.

Cinderella FS? I really enjoyed that one :)

I know rules are rules but I'm still annoyed that Rika missed a whole jump and scores higher TES and PCS than Mai. Mai doesn't normally ur/downgrade :(

frida80

Record Breaker
I know you’re not wrong, but the first sentence is one of the most irritating things about this sport.

Again, to be clear, I’m not disagreeing with ya.

I hate it too. PCS should reflect the quality of the skating not the numbers of championships they’ve won.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Mariah Bell was pcs lowballed again.

Absolutely. Mai is lovely but that program is a snooze and is lacking. If that gets 33 PCS then Mariah should get at least likewise. And not in the ballpark with Kaori and Bradie. I mean Mia not in the ballpark with K & B.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Perhaps the injury is the reason - I'm a fan of this skater, But, trying to be objective, that just was not good. I expect a better long, but she'll have to show me to maintain my rooting interest. No free rides!

I love Rika but she really wasn’t at her best today. Her SP is also the weaker program by far. Her FS is just much more interesting. Hoping she can sell it tomorrow and the injury doesn’t affect her too much. :(

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Rika Kihira: completely overscored especially on PCS. Same for Mai Mihara. Mariah Bell: screwed over on PCS.
I think Ting would have been scored a bit higher on PCS had she been in Group 3

pesto

On the Ice
The announcer was amazing. Even my SatNav sounds more human in its intonation.

However, my SatNav doesn't make the bizarre mistakes, just the logical ones resulting from the vagaries of English spelling.

She even fouled up "United States", and "gentlemen".

I doubt I'll see much more of this competition live, with the complication of time zones and going away for the weekend. But I'm glad to have seen the last group here.

oly2018

Final Flight
I think with the PCS, we are seeing Bradie being inflated purely because she is now technically USA #2. I think she is being given a boost in preparation for Worlds and they want some separation between her and Mariah. The fact of the matter is, even if you want to argue that Bradie's tech is more clean, she shouldn't be beating Mariah by multiple points in PCS. That just isn't accurate.

Mai also should not have PCS that high. She is a great skater, but these programs aren't inspired. I really wish some of the Japanese ladies would get some more mature packaging and music. That is what sets Satoko and Wakaba apart. Their programs are mature and packaged well. I was so surprised when I found out Mai was 19 because the packaging would say otherwise. I also think Kaori's packaging in the short could be improved. They have sooooo much quality, but they can't create "moments" with those programs.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The announcer was amazing. Even my SatNav sounds more human in its intonation.

However, my SatNav doesn't make the bizarre mistakes, just the logical ones resulting from the vagaries of English spelling.

She even fouled up "United States", and "gentlemen".

I doubt I'll see much more of this competition live, with the complication of time zones and going away for the weekend. But I'm glad to have seen the last group here.

Call in Alexa or Siri. The future is now. :laugh:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I just got back from work.

Pleasantly surprised at the standings, well done USA. Figure Skating is never predictable!

This isn’t to say I’m happy about skaters making mistakes but I always love the unexpected skaters showing everyone what they can do. 💪🏽

readernick

Medalist

What was not good about it? Not great, sure. But Objectively, Her SS are great and her transistions are difficult but she makes them look easy...Her extensions are great and her arms are beautiful. The program is muted and she was injured so the “performance” may not have been therebut all the basics are there...

Fluture

Record Breaker
Seems Bell lost her international PCS advantage over Bradie...

Which is just plain unfair. Bradie is doing really well this season and I enjoy her SP but performance wise, Mariah is just on a totally different level. And Bradie‘s SS aren‘t the best either, so it‘s not like that‘s where the difference could be coming from. They were both clean today but it was clear for me that Mariah > Bradie. Scores say otherwise. :shrug: