Injuries & Other Ills for 2015-16 | Golden Skate

Injuries & Other Ills for 2015-16

LRK

Record Breaker
Since I've been coming across scattered news/mentions of injuries, I thought it was probably high time for this season's thead to be started.

For reference, here is last season's thread:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?52081-Injuries-and-Ills-2014-15

Again, this is a thread to collect the information about skaters and their injuries in one place. News about recent injuries, updates about recovery/rehabilitation. A place to ask about information. Or, of course, express your good wishes for recovery and well-being.

But, this is not merely meant to be a news thread. Any interview in which a skater discusses an injury they've had, how it occurred, how they recovered - or not (some injuries are, after all, sadly, career ending). Articles about injuries, rehabilitation, what is being done to prevent injuries from happening in the first place. &c, &c, &c.

I'll also try to "collect" any thread that I see that pertains to this one - but, as usual, I'd like to remind everyone that I'm disorganised, forgetful, and absent-minded, so I can't make any promises to be consistent or regular in this.

And in ending, again, this is a place to celebrate the skaters, their hard work, the pain and difficulties they overcome to give us the joy, the beauty, the thrills and excitement of the sport we all love - or we wouldn't be on this forum. This may be the dark side of the coin, but it is nonetheless important, so let us acknowledge that - and appreciate the skaters who endure it.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Olympic figure skating champion Yevgeny Plushenko was diagnosed with a new spinal injury, due to which it will transfer operation in the spring of 2016, because of this injury, he will miss the season-2015/2016, the agency "F-Sport" CEO of the Figure Skating Federation Skating Russia (FFKKR) Alexander Kogan.
From Frsport.ru.

Two-time Olympic figure skating champion Yevgeny Plushenko, despite skipping the upcoming season because of a new injury of the spine, is an active athlete, he continues to prepare for the Olympics in 2018, said the agency "F-Sport" CEO Figure Skating Federation of Russia (FFKKR ) Alexander Kogan.
Also from Frsport.ru.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
From Ivan Righini's Facebook:

I'm sorry my friends...But I have to miss Bratislava and prepare for other competitions which are also really important,have an injury with which I was skating long long time and all past season with a fracture bone and ripped a bit plantar fascia,healing is really long but I'm continue practicing and preparing myself for next competitions!Health is really important so to make you all happy again,first I have to heal and then go for the best)now in Oberstdorf,...will Inform you about my next step for sure)yours GypsyKing

Sorrento

Record Breaker
That information is incorrect; there's a window at the end of the video that says the back injury was sustained by Sotnikova and not Lipnitskaya, it was reporter's mistake. The information was also confirmed by Lipnitskaya fan community.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brendan Kerry (AUS) has a foot injury, and will miss the SLC Senior B. It does not appear serious at this point, they are focused on getting him right for Skate America.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For those that were not watching the Junior Ladies FS at the Lombardia Trophy yesterday, Elisabetta LECCARDI of Italy had a VERY bad fall when attempting a flip shortly into her programme.

The full description and conversation about what happened next is on pages 5 and 6 of the Lombardia thread, but here is a quick summary:

Elisabetta was unable to get off the ice, but the medical team were with her straight away and did a great job seeing to her. The main area of concern was her head/neck area, and when she was eventually stretchered off, she was wearing a neck/head brace. She also had a massive bruise the whole length of her left thigh.

I am putting it up here to try to reach a bigger audience, in the hope that somebody will be able to update us on how she is doing.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That sounds scary, CaroLiza_fan. I hope she's okay!

Bit concerning that the bruise came up so fast that it was visible as she was being carried off. Hopefully the neck brace was just a precaution.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Bit concerning that the bruise came up so fast that it was visible as she was being carried off. Hopefully the neck brace was just a precaution.

Boys, but it was scary! You never like to see things like that.

Thankfully, we knew she was conscious the whole time, as you could see her talking and pointing at things.

In situations like this, it is normal to put a brace on as a precaution. But, I specifically remember her pointing at her neck, and matscol noticed that her temple hit the ice.

As for her leg, she was wearing white stockings, so the fact that we could see the bruising through them is further indication of how bad it was.

So, now you can understand why I am so anxious to hear how she is.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sad to hear from Edwards/Pang tonight via Facebook that they will be out for the entire season -- b/c of the ankle injury that Maddie has been battling since December.

For LRK's collection of injury-related threads, the one for the article with Christy Krall quotes about Josh Farris and his concussion:

Layback11

Record Breaker

No kidding. Even the worst falls I've ever taken took at least a couple of hours to bruise up. :no: Poor girl...I hope that heals up quick!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's dreadful. They are so talented. I hope they stay together through this trouble.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
nooooooo
Sad to hear from Edwards/Pang tonight via Facebook that they will be out for the entire season -- b/c of the ankle injury that Maddie has been battling since December.

For LRK's collection of injury-related threads, the one for the article with Christy Krall quotes about Josh Farris and his concussion:

LRK

Record Breaker

Thank you ever so much, golden - as always; you're a rock!

Wishing Edwards/Pang the best and a full recovery, and hopefully a return next season; I hope Joshua's recovery proceeds smoothly, and that he can come back at full strength, and that the rest of his season is injury - and ill (he is sadly prone to both, I believe?) - free.

And a thread discussing

Skate blade injuries
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?56389-Skate-blade-injuries

From Nebelhorn:

In her interview Kaetlyn Osmond talks a little about her injury and the road to recovery and how it feels to be back in competition:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37mp4d_kaetlyn-osmond-interview-nebelhorn-trophy-2015_sport

And in Peter Liebers' interview, a brief mention of his injury last year, and how it happened:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37m7rv_peter-liebers-interview-nebelhorn-trophy-2015_sport

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Interesting story about Osmond. They still don't know who crashed into her; she isn't mad and she doesn't want the skater to get in trouble but just wants to know what happened. Imagine someone at the Ice Palace has probably a lot of guilt that they broke the leg of a world class skater and Olympic medallist and could have destroyed her career.

However, it is good to see that she is coming back fairly well. Now the question I have is - obviously there are some injuries to Adelina - but what? I mean she isn't even doing level 1 spins it looks like in some cases. I can't seem to find out what the injury or problem is but clearly she seems to be struggling with injuries.

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't know the details, but I understand that it was Adelina's back that was causing her problems - maybe someone else knows more?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting story about Osmond. They still don't know who crashed into her; she isn't mad and she doesn't want the skater to get in trouble but just wants to know what happened. Imagine someone at the Ice Palace has probably a lot of guilt that they broke the leg of a world class skater and Olympic medallist and could have destroyed her career.

However, it is good to see that she is coming back fairly well. Now the question I have is - obviously there are some injuries to Adelina - but what? I mean she isn't even doing level 1 spins it looks like in some cases. I can't seem to find out what the injury or problem is but clearly she seems to be struggling with injuries.

That's nice that she doesn't want to get the skater into trouble or wants to be mad at them. It's better for the other person's life not to be identified or get into trouble.