2015 Croatia Cup Ladies FS Oct 10 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2015 Croatia Cup Ladies FS Oct 10

burntBREAD

Medalist
I recall Wakaba bursting into tears in her media interview after her free skate at senior Japanese Nationals last year where she got the bronze so it's quite clear that she's just a very emotional person and quite the perfectionist. She was definitely trying to smile and be congratulatory though, just couldn't hold in the disappointment.

Leonardo

Final Flight
I think she was trying really hard to smile? Sometimes, you just can't hold it in, especially at that age. Besides, she was cheering for Marin after her skate and did all the proper things - gave her competitors a hug, shook hands with the officials, smiled for pictures (or at least it looked like she tried) etc. etc.

Yes, and she's 14, almost a child.

chezzu

On the Ice
It's understandable that Wakaba is upset. Not to mention the fact that Marin is one of her close friends, so it must've stung more than just a little.

I'm sure they'll remain good friends after this and Wakaba will recover and get her fire back.

koheikun90

On the Ice
What can the US do to get to the level of Japan and Russia? I'm getting frustrated watching the Americans compete and even more frustrated expecting them to fall at every competition.

MIM

Medalist
Wakaba really tried to hold it in. When a lady who awarded flower and medal held her hands and comforted her, she bursted into tears. It looks like she couldn't stop afterwards. She was laughing with tears with Marin and Diana at the top podium. Well, I don't know what is better sportsmanship if it is not.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Wakaba has to reconsider her approach to skating. Last year she was virtually the only competition to the Russians preventing them from sweeping podiums for another year in a roll. That was the reason for the hype. I remember all those praises and forecasts like she is one of the main contenders for the next OGM. This year it is quite different - a new crop is ready. I am frankly not excited about Mai Mihara or Yuna S. But they are consistent and can deliver. And then Marin with "it" quality. If Wakaba continues to neglect choreography and spins she will lose the last year momentum quite fast. I do not suggest she reduces her speed. She just needs somehow more grace. If she trains with Honda, the coaches could try to fix it.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Ehh, don't forget that she is just 14, I am sure she doesn't want to show her tears..and there are people (for example myself) who just try very hard to hold tears and don't show them, but they are running nonstop and you can't do anything with that. :cry:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't think we should be too harsh with wakaba's reaction. It was in the moment and she was probably feeling pretty upset, and as a child that can sometimes be hard to hold in. At the end of the day, she'll probably use this as a learning experience to come back stronger!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I understand wakabas disappointment but her behavior on the podium really ruined Marin's moment winning her first JGP. Poor display of sportsmanship. It's figure skating, it's a everyone skater for themselves. I hope Marin doesn't feel bad for winning because she really deserved it.

Don't over think this... I think teens at that age can't help themselves and should be given benefit of doubt. I doubt Wakaba's reaction is within her control. She tried to put on a brave smile when she stepped on ice but simply lost it. They are both 14 right?

inskate

On the Ice
burntBREAD said:
Japanese Juniors is going to be a nightmare: Shiraiwa, Honda, Mihara, Sakamoto, Higuchi, Nitaya, Aoki, and I'm sure I'm missing more... But you cannot afford one mistake or else you're out of contention for Jr Worlds if not the Senior Japanese Nationals (top 8 from Japanese Juniors qualify to Seniors).

Yura Matsuda, Yuhana Yokoi (had a disastrous SP at Jr Nats last year, but just won a regional competition and seems to be back on track) and top 5 novices (who won't make the Jr. Worlds team, of course, but can possibly push some of the promising juniors out of top 10).

I understand wakabas disappointment but her behavior on the podium really ruined Marin's moment winning her first JGP. Poor display of sportsmanship. It's figure skating, it's a everyone skater for themselves. I hope Marin doesn't feel bad for winning because she really deserved it.

I don't think she ruined anything. Marin wiped a tear off her cheek, held her hand and they both laughed together. Marin probably knows better than anyone under what pressure Wakaba was.

Wakaba has to reconsider her approach to skating. Last year she was virtually the only competition to the Russians preventing them from sweeping podiums for another year in a roll. That was the reason for the hype. I remember all those praises and forecasts like she is one of the main contenders for the next OGM. This year it is quite different - a new crop is ready. I am frankly not excited about Mai Mihara or Yuna S. But they are consistent and can deliver. And then Marin with "it" quality. If Wakaba continues to neglect choreography and spins she will lose the last year momentum quite fast. I do not suggest she reduces her speed. She just needs somehow more grace. If she trains with Honda, the coaches could try to fix it.

She does not "neglect choreography" willingly. Watch her show performances this year - she performed her SP, FS and two Gala numbers, all in very different styles, all very expressive and skated with a lot of fire. Then she withdrew from Asian Trophy - according to the media, due to back pain. I don't think she's capable of handling her choreography/spins any better at the moment. Just watch Mao's SP from Worlds 2011 to see what back pain can do to a good performer/spinner (or at the 2013-14 season, where she learned to handle the performance of her programs better, but couldn't do a donut and missed the sit spin at Nationals, losing a lot of points). If Wakaba forces things now, she could end up with a chronic back pain a'la Mao/Miki, making things difficult for her at the most unfortunate times throughout her career.

I think not making the GPF could be good for her. Her team needs to evaluate whether or not she can handle her current programs. IMHO she should go back to her old SP jump layout (perhaps turning her Somewhere Only We Know EX into a SP) and tweak her LP a bit - but her team will probably know better what to do. :)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Then I can only wish her good health. It is very risky age in a very risky sport. Proklova who was a prodigy is missing the second season. Sima who could be fantastic - she showed good improvement in pcs department - could not jump at her GP. And competition is strong - Japan has amazing depth of talent now.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
u know us, evil russians are always up to something :cool:

I wasn't going to reply to Samkrut again (who sportingly acknowledged his posited theory was incorrect in the end) as I am coming back hours later to watch after work, but I would just gently protest that you won't find me ever having made any such comments nor backing such comments so I am a little at a loss as to why you are saying this stemming from my comment that both are conspiracy theories.

Anyway, well done, Marin! What a great skate! And to all the medalists! And to Alisa for getting into JGPF. And sympathy to Wakaba.

What a lovely series. Really enjoyed the streaming when possible, the videos when not and the non-intrusive, balanced and positive commentary from Ted.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Marin's performance here is my favorite freeskate in Juniors this season full of charming grace, sophistication, great musical and artistic interpretation with many changes in moods to match the unusual but beautiful music. Symmetrical air position, with a wonderful flair of the arms on exit to her beautiful jumps, flexible and elegant Biellmann and the best illusion spins I have seen this Junior season timed to fit the rhythm of the music. In terms of performance, interpretation and emotional resonance for Juniors, I feel Marin is the best and Yuna Shiraiwa is my second favorite. I also enjoy Maria's programs in terms of performance. I felt it must have been a bit bittersweet for Marin because she seemed a bit upset about Wakaba's reaction, but it seemed like it was because she sympathized with her. Nice to see that they comforted each other.

Alisa gave very good performances in her last grand prix event, especially her spins, so it will be nice to see her again, though I feel a bit sad for Wakaba, even though she gave some nice performances and has nothing to be ashamed of.

Congratulations to all the finalists. I also really like Mai's skating skills and Polina's jumps are nice.

Here is the link to Marin's performance all the other performances are to the right of hers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ENp3Sx0ICw

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
What can the US do to get to the level of Japan and Russia? I'm getting frustrated watching the Americans compete and even more frustrated expecting them to fall at every competition.

Since you asked? The U.S. forces Learn To Skate and Moves in the Field down beginning skater's throats. You must be able to do A B and C before you move on. It is slow, It is frustrating, and at an early age, many quit. (Not to mention the US system is EXPENSIVE) The philosophy in Russia and Japan is: Learn the hard part first-the JUMPS, and then learn the rest of it. If you have no flexibility, or you are not a great spinner, you will not be held back.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I wasn't going to reply to Samkrut again (who sportingly acknowledged his posited theory was incorrect in the end) as I am coming back hours later to watch after work, but I would just gently protest that you won't find me ever having made any such comments nor backing such comments so I am a little at a loss as to why you are saying this stemming from my comment that both are conspiracy theories.
ah sorry it wasnt a reply to you. I was just generally saying b/c the comments he mentioned included the usual ones of that user who always checks the panel of judges & tries to see how its favourable for the russians:laugh2: sorry if it came across like it was a reply to yours:thumbsup:
btw is your nickname somehow related to Georgette Heyer????

on topic!
ALISA & MARIN!!! ugh I even purposely didn't watch this comp live because I was so nervous! haha & I didnt jinx it! woooooooooo Im soo happy!!! :cheer2::cheer2: my sweet teen couple will both be in JGPF!!!! no really Im getting emotional!
need a drink!:yay:

noidont

Final Flight
Marin Honda is the best artistically among the jgpf qualifiers Too bad her jump layout is behind Tsurskaya by quite a bit. I do think if she goes clean she will be getting the silver behind Polina. These juniors are so exciting. To be honest Sotskova and Mihara, who are the oldest are the two I don't particularly find interesting.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
ah sorry it wasnt a reply to you. I was just generally saying b/c the comments he mentioned included the usual ones of that user who always checks the panel of judges & tries to see how its favourable for the russians:laugh2: sorry if it came across like it was a reply to yours:thumbsup:
btw is your nickname somehow related to Georgette Heyer????

Ah, okay. I was perplexed, but now understand. Yes, it is my fave book of Heyer. :love: I am not called Sophy though. Lol I just wanted a good name that indicated I was female and included something else I love.

Back on topic, I have watched Marin again and I really enjoy her so much. What are her chances of medaling at JGPF, do we think?

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Ah, okay. I was perplexed, but now understand. Yes, it is my fave book of Heyer. :love: I am not called Sophy though. Lol I just wanted a good name that indicated I was female and included something else I love.

Back on topic, I have watched Marin again and I really enjoy her so much. What are her chances of medaling at JGPF, do we think?
aw great to see a fellow GH fan!

btw I forgot to congrat hot coach Yamato with his student's success!!:biggrin:
lol I dont know who I'm looking forward to see more in Barcelona - him or Marin:laugh::eek::

& I'm happy to finally put a person on ignore list (really the 1st time ever in my online life!) Now I feel even better!:popcorn:

Last edited:

cl2

Final Flight
Since you asked? The U.S. forces Learn To Skate and Moves in the Field down beginning skater's throats. You must be able to do A B and C before you move on. It is slow, It is frustrating, and at an early age, many quit. (Not to mention the US system is EXPENSIVE) The philosophy in Russia and Japan is: Learn the hard part first-the JUMPS, and then learn the rest of it. If you have no flexibility, or you are not a great spinner, you will not be held back.

Could school of technique be the differentiating factor? I notice that Japanese jump technique looks different from the Russian school, which looks different from the North American school. I would posit that the Japanese and Russian have perfected the art of teaching jump technique from a young age. On the other hand, that can't be the only cause for the poor US showing, can it? It's clear that many US skaters have the goods, but can't deliver when it counts, which means that it's not solely the grassroots development program to blame.