2016 NHK Trophy Men SP | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Men SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Whew, my heart was in my throat but it was great that Yuzu had so much fun with it this time. Much more crazy and wild and much better jumps. I'm really, really sad about Jason though. I hope he comes roaring back in the FS. I NEED to see him at the GPF.

From your keyboard to Jason's ears. The good news for him is that there is only a little over a six point gap between him and 3rd place.

Plisskin

Medalist
So unless Nathan implodes in his FS, it's looking like he might make GPF. This was not in my predictions at all, lol. Really sad to see Jason that far down in the standings though. I really want to see him in GPF.

Tutto

Record Breaker
At work and only watched Kolyada so far - heartbroken for Mika - he could easily be in 2nd...oh well...at least he kept his composure and put 2T and not 3T in combination, he knew his 4T would be downgraded.
I think it is a jetlag he looked like death (and his coach too!)
Judging by protocols the event was remarkable for plentiful 3-2s :scratch2:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
From your keyboard to Jason's ears. The good news for him is that there is only a little over a six point gap between him and 3rd place.

Yeah, and he really only needs 4th. Big chances for that if he skates clean. I think one way or another there will be two US Men in GPF, just not sure which two...

da96103

Record Breaker
Yeah, and he really only needs 4th. Big chances for that if he skates clean. I think one way or another there will be two US Men in GPF, just not sure which two...

I hope Nathan makes it because quad lutz need to be in GPF.

This year quad lutz faces the risk of getting kicked out of GPF after a sensational debut last year.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Congrats to Keiji for placing 3rd after the SP. What a surprise. All three Team Japan guys did very well. They used to fight for podium placements in their novice and Junior days and now here they are together again. It's very cute.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Chen has a very good chance of qualifying for GPF if he has a cleanish performance in the FP. That leaves the UR-quad-pair of Brown and Rippon fighting for the spot stolen from Boyang Jin.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
The voo doo in ladies got its hand on men too. Even I, myself got dumb and I miserably fell asleep with my macbook open. I woke up by mistake when the girls ended their SP and results were displayed. I barely saw Alaine' s scores and that 58 number had the the effect of 10 strong espressos.
Men with a few exceptions, did 3-2 combinations, similar to what happened in women. Guys who almost never fall on their triple jumps, failed in a way or another. Is Japan open under a spell?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
fell asleep and saw only each performance without seeing slo-mo and listening to any commentary but just checking their scores....eh...another underwhelming SP segment. As the ice dance has a big showdown plan between the former Oly champs and reigning two-time World champs, best short skates will come next day I hope.

Group 1 with the starting order
Kolyada - jet lag? Looks slower than usual and lacks of usual sparkles
Vasiljevs - nice long legs but seem to make him harder land his jumps. No quad but cleanish. Nice to see Lambiel.
Chen - new black lace costume with an illusion vest. He also can jump 4F-3T which is impressive but the fall on 4Lz and 3A are not. Nice to see him with Rafael.
Tanaka - tango, but a bit generic choice. 4S step-out? Overall OK but not memorable
Brown - 4T<< and not even with 3-3. Not really a day for Jason performance-wise but the PCS is very generous for him.

Group 2
Bychenko - best costume of the day, but alas...fall on 4T and only 2T to his 3F. The PCS is also generous for him
Hino - Abt's music, so I wondered whether the music could give Rafael a nostalgic feeling. Clean and quadless GP debut performance by him after a long time.
Balde - Clean and nice quadless performance with a fire. He felt the music.
Hanyu - what's up with the new costume. Looks like faded. Not clean performance with 4lo, but nice 4S-3T and 3A, the PCS is higher than I expected but given Jason's PCS...well.
Hochstein - facepalm
Ngyuen - I realize that I also don't like male singers' wailing especially Sam Smith's although he really tried to sell the program.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Adding that I also enjoyed and am enjoying Balde's SP this season. It's not a point-getter by any stretch of the imagination, but it suits him, I like the music, and he is able to perform it 100%.
It's a joy to watch.

frida80

Record Breaker
I for one hope that Nathan watched Hanyu and learned the value of PCS, especially performance. Quads are great, but a great program has balance.

shyne

Final Flight
The voo doo in ladies got its hand on men too. Even I, myself got dumb and I miserably fell asleep with my macbook open. I woke up by mistake when the girls ended their SP and results were displayed. I barely saw Alaine' s scores and that 58 number had the the effect of 10 strong espressos.
Men with a few exceptions, did 3-2 combinations, similar to what happened in women. Guys who almost never fall on their triple jumps, failed in a way or another. Is Japan open under a spell?

I suspect jet lag.

da96103

Record Breaker

No voodoo. It's those Americans bringing their turkey to the event and everyone ate some.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Found some videos, and have no idea how anyone did. Thoughts are below.

Kolyada: I really want to know what his SP was supposed to be this season.

Vasiljevs: :cool: I hope he gets a quad and I feel like this program is supposed to be kind of like a coming-of-age for him.

Chen: I was expecting to like this program a lot better than I did. Is he also the first guy to do a 4f+3t?

Tanaka: My video froze partway through him. :slink:

Brown: Did everyone have lutz combination issues? Apart from that, I liked him...

Bychenko: Is it just me, or did he seem really tired? :scratch:

Hino: :clap:

Hochstein: He is a very lovely skater...

Hanyu: That was awesome. :dance2:

And I feel like there were more people in this competition, but there weren't any videos of them. :slink:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
It depends on the skater. Didn't V&M mime...I'm not sure if I can write that word here, mmh.. how to describe it...him kissing her, but not on the mouth....??? It's been a while though.

Yuzuru just isn't that sexy kind of skater. Don't hit me, I still love him.

I think "sexy" is relative :dev2:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think "sexy" is relative :dev2:

Of course it depends on everyone's own perception of sexy. On the other hand I also believe that Yuzuru isn't trying to sell 'sexy' with his Prince program, so I don't think he would feel offended by that opinion.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Of course it depends on everyone's own perception of sexy. On the other hand I also believe that Yuzuru isn't trying to sell 'sexy' with his Prince program, so I don't think he would feel offended by that opinion.

I'm totally in the 'Yuzu isn't sexy' camp. He can do a sexy program and sell it like nobody's business, but I'm not going to buy it. For me his Prince and other showy skates are fun, flirty and energetic. That's enough for me. :biggrin: I don't like overtly sexy programs much anyway.

Last edited: