2017 Four Continents Pairs SP | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Pairs SP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Without the fall D/R would obviously have been in second. Heck even with the fall they could have been second if they managed to get the same level on their out of sync steps as every other top team... And they clearly know how to maximize their base value. But when you are talking about a fall versus a 0.5 throw difference...

First of all, they should not have any PCS advantage over any of the other 5 teams I think should be slotted higher (Lubov and Dylan, Yu Jin should have higher PCS, SK/K and MT/M about the same). They should have a one point deduction for the fall, and they should lose a few points on the execution of the sbs jump, which they earn back with the harder throw and jump itself.

I understand this won't happen but I THINK they should be in 6th.
they did get a deduction... what else more do you want?

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Sorry but D/R are simply unwatchable for me and their pcs today are very high for what we have seen on the ice ... I try to concentrate only on Eric for years already ...
On the other hand I am a big fan of Luba and Dylan and was delighted by this SP .. Luba, bb, please keep landing things and I/M for Canada's N1 :gclap:

and welcome back queen Wenjing ! they are breathtaking. both! Enjoyed Yu/Zhang a lot as well.
well the feeling with DR is for me the same as with SM
I try to concentrate on Eric & Alyona in those pairs but fail:laugh: its PAIR skating & there should be harmony along with good elements & tech content!
Its really impossible to root (imho imho:giveup:) if there's no connection & unity.
lol agree too much on IM! But I lets be real, I really doubt the Can fed will drop the pair who have reputation already even if IM will skate clean all the time.

Good result overall!
SH is precious! Happy to see them back!
Hopefully I can watch ladies live uinlike pair & dance.
thx for the Kazah link!

Last edited:

bobbob

Medalist
D/R not skating better than anyone else? Far from being the worst skaters according to you, they do skate better than most Pairs in the world.

There is no escaping the spite even when they came in 3rd, losing by more than 6 points. Instead the outrage is directed at their 1.17 point lead over the 4th place. :drama:

I was referring to the top 5 here, I don't think in terms of basic skating, the way they move across the ice, they are stronger than the others. If they went clean, they would have gotten a comparable score to Sui/Han, which I think does not do justice to the complexity and beauty of the way Sui and Han skate (ignoring their amazing elements). Everyone else here (in the top 5) skated generally clean for the most part.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Well without quad throw they might just medal if they go super clean. What if other teams have quad throw go clean? But pair elements are high-risked so yes if they want to continue for 2022, they should go safe for now.
Sure, it could happen but what are the chances? And they have a stable quad twist, that's already a huge technical advantage. And their throws are huge. They only real top team with both a quad twist and a quad throw (or throw 3A) could be Savchenko/Massot (and we haven't seen the quad twist yet) and I don't think that Aljona's throw landings are going to be super clean in any case.
I still think that they would have won Worlds last season if they hadn't decided to go for the 4STh. It's not easy to get over a tough fall during a program. I don't think that f.e. Meagan is going to be able to land 3Lz, 3T-2T-2T, 3ATh and 4STh all in one FS. And I think that D/R would need that if S/H go clean.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was referring to the top 5 here, I don't think in terms of basic skating, the way they move across the ice, they are stronger than the others. If they went clean, they would have gotten a comparable score to Sui/Han, which I think does not do justice to the complexity and beauty of the way Sui and Han skate (ignoring their amazing elements). Everyone else here (in the top 5) skated generally clean for the most part.

go watch them live.. you will be surprised.. they just fly through the programs...

one question for you.. why do you think international and qualified judges gave them two world titles???? because they suck???? i doubt it.. they actually are very impressive to watch... and they deserve their scores....at the same time, as they made a mistake, they were not held up.. so I am wondering yet again, if you are just bashing them just for the sake of it... I/M who i love as well weren't clean either... why do you want them in 6th place? ETC...

bobbob

Medalist
Sure, it could happen but what are the chances? And they have a stable quad twist, that's already a huge technical advantage. And their throws are huge. They only real top team with both a quad twist and a quad throw (or throw 3A) could be Savchenko/Massot (and we haven't seen the quad twist yet) and I don't think that Aljona's throw landings are going to be super clean in any case.
I still think that they would have won Worlds last season if they hadn't decided to go for the 4STh. It's not easy to get over a tough fall during a program. I don't think that f.e. Meagan is going to be able to land 3Lz, 3T-2T-2T, 3ATh and 4STh all in one FS. And I think that D/R would need that if S/H go clean.

I agree, T/M and S/M don't seem to be going for the hardest programs anyways recently. I don't even know if Aliona will go back to 3A+4STH.

The main problem is for Sui to land her 3S in the free--if she can do that consistently, she won't have to worry about adding quads. Plus they already have the quad twist.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

well.. meagan is not doing these elements anymore ;)

they are doing 3lz-2t, 3S, 3Lzth and 4sth :)

sui han have the advantage as a 4twist is usually more reliable than a quad throw.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
We should keep the angry comments for the FS. There will be more drama and less clean programs there. Guaranteed!

skatemouse

On the Ice
Alexa and Chris that was not only touching but beautiful. I haven't seen that kind of love and beauty on the ice maybe ever. It is obvious they have come through a ton together. Sui Han were amazing too but in a different way. As individuals. Alexa and Chris just showed such a love for each other and the ice. It was so touching That said lots of room in that program. I found it much better than either of the Canadians who were bland in comparison.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
well.. meagan is not doing these elements anymore ;)

they are doing 3lz-2t, 3S, 3Lzth and 4sth :)

sui han have the advantage as a 4twist is usually more reliable than a quad throw.
I count on Meagan to up their tech if they don't win Worlds this season. ;)
What I don't understand is why they don't do 3T-2T-2T anymore. I remember that they did it quite consistently, it's worth good points and I think SBS three jump combos look nice.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I've just watched Sui/Han's SP. I am so happy that they're back with such an amazing performance. They're just fantastic. :cheer: Good luck in the free skate too!

bobbob

Medalist
go watch them live.. you will be surprised.. they just fly through the programs...

one question for you.. why do you think international and qualified judges gave them two world titles???? because they suck???? i doubt it.. they actually are very impressive to watch... and they deserve their scores....at the same time, as they made a mistake, they were not held up.. so I am wondering yet again, if you are just bashing them just for the sake of it... I/M who i love as well weren't clean either... why do you want them in 6th place? ETC...

I think the international judges gave them the titles because they were great technically at worlds those two years, and the judges focused on that over skating skills. Certainly they deserved the win last year at worlds. If they had fallen, they wouldn't have. I/M didn't fall, small vs major mistake.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I count on Meagan to up their tech if they don't win Worlds this season. ;)
What I don't understand is why they don't do 3T-2T-2T anymore. I remember that they did it quite consistently, it's worth good points and I think SBS three jump combos look nice.

it is hurting her foot.. hence the 3S..
btw their SBS 3S is awesome.. so in synch.. saw it at nationals and loved it.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ashley is a unisex name???? :shocked: I always thought it was female only

I had 2 guys in my class at school with the name Ashley. (One of whom was my best friend, and who became a father last week).

It is only in the past 10 years that I started to come across girls with that name.

CaroLiza_fan

QuadThrow

Medalist
I agree, T/M and S/M don't seem to be going for the hardest programs anyways recently. I don't even know if Aliona will go back to 3A+4STH.

The main problem is for Sui to land her 3S in the free--if she can do that consistently, she won't have to worry about adding quads. Plus they already have the quad twist.

I think Aljona will go for the 3Ath at Worlds but not for the 4STh.

This is some score for Sui/Han. Their throws are the best in the world. I do not get over it how she manages to land these monster throws. Maybe their PCS were a bit too high. We will see what happens at worlds in Europe. The problem will definitly be the SBS. The 3T looked very tight today although it was clean and I can see her popping the 3S in the Free.

The score for D/R is still too high. They got clearly more PCS than Yu/Zhang. I cannot see the difference there.

Everyone is dicussing which throws and elements you need to become Olympic Champion. I do not have an answer. But I just can recommand S/H, S/M, Y/Z and T/M to work on a clean 4Tw4.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I had 2 guys in my class at school with the name Ashley. (One of whom was my best friend, and who became a father last week).

It is only in the past 10 years that I started to come across girls with that name.

CaroLiza_fan
that was actually a stupid Q on my part :slink:
I should have remembered 'Gone with the wind' (Im that ignorant person who neither saw the movie nor read the book:hopelessness: )

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Aljona will go for the 3Ath at Worlds but not for the 4STh.

This is some score for Sui/Han. Their throws are the best in the world. I do not get over it how she manages to land these monster throws. Maybe their PCS were a bit too high. We will see what happens at worlds in Europe. The problem will definitly be the SBS. The 3T looked very tight today although it was clean and I can see her popping the 3S in the Free.

The score for D/R is still too high. They got clearly more PCS than Yu/Zhang. I cannot see the difference there.

Everyone is dicussing which throws and elements you need to become Olympic Champion. I do not have an answer. But I just can recommand S/H, S/M, Y/Z and T/M to work on a clean 4Tw4.

would be a good start if those teams got level 4 on the triple first....not all of them do ;)

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
And thank you for reminding me that Portugal is in the same time zone as us. It's easy to forget. Probably because the Eurosport commentators only ever mention the UK (and sometimes Ireland) when giving out the times in GMT. :rolleye:

Except for Matt Chilton on the Alpine Skiing. When giving out GMT times, he ALWAYS says "in the UK, the Republic of Ireland and Portugal".

I wonder if he has a holiday home there... :think: ;)

CaroLiza_fan
We're always so ignored. Except for our beaches. No one ignores our sunny weather and lovely beaches in the summer. :cool14: