2018-19 Russian test skates | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian test skates

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Look, I know a bit about strategy because for many years I worked in The Boston Consulting Group. Having long-term goals is one thing - the company without the direction will likely sink. Having the long-term strategy the way the companies did it before: a thick document with 5 year financial projections, market shares by product and markets, etc. is another. It is only as good as your assumptions. While 20-30 years ago they could be quite solid, they make little sense now: the environment changes with accelerating speed. So that the key task today is to have the organization that while keeping its core values has the competences to remain excellent in the ever-changing environment from day one. Business (well, start-ups excluding) can hardly afford the stance that we might lose money the next couple of years but we have written an excellent strategy and we are sure that we shall be in the good black in 5 years.

And I have worked at several companies that have folded, and I saw the writing on the wall before most of the executives. And if Evgenia Medvedeva was a stock on the stock market i would buy a ton of shares.
And I have followed figure skating for over 25 years.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
She did say she was always aiming for 2 Olympics. So I guess it's your word against hers.

What she said was that she does not want to end her career after PC and will continue to skate in the next cycle. I never saw her say that she wants to win 2 OG, become a legend, etc. Even if she did, Adelina said after Sochi that she wanted to keep winning Europeans, worlds. There are desires and there are clear goals with clear plans how to achieve them. They had a clear plan for Korea and I am sure they did not have it with Eteri for Bejing nor do they have such a plan with Orser as of now.

One last time my point is that with the current youngsters becoming senior one may say anything like Adelina did but the reality in 4 years may not agree. I would not say that Zhenya cannot become the OGM winner in Beiging per se. But I don't believe in talks that they will not hurry, they will work little by little, they don't have to win everything. This might have worked with Yuna whose only competition were inconsistent Mao and Caro - it won't work with Zagitova, Trusova and Japanese Co.

The best strategy I would see for Zhenya is to stick to her famous consistency while gradually increasing the technical difficulty every year. They go with 3 Lz - so they understand that the old tech is not enough. But as we already discussed this is risky because she is at the mercy of the panel. I would think of 3Lo combo this or next season at the latest, and 4S later on. Once again, we discussed that 3A is unlikely for her same as 4T while salchov is her strong jump.

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Well - if I ever questioned why Champs Camp (US) and High Performance Camp (Can) were closed to the public I don't anymore!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well - if I ever questioned why Champs Camp (US) and High Performance Camp (Can) were closed to the public I don't anymore!

Test skates are great IMO. I always look forward to it and would love the US Champs Camp to follow suit. It’s a great way to break in a program in a competitive environment in front of a crowd. I think the skaters gain a ton from the experience too.

If you’re referring to the fan drama (in this thread)...well...that’s figure skating. It happens at all events unfortunately. Seeing how well attended the event is shows how strong the sport is and I think the skaters appreciate knowing how much support they have. Some may only skate iat home during Nationals so it’s a great opportunity for skaters and fans to connect. I think way more good than bad came out of this event. YMMV.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Tuktamysheva‘s choreographies in her programs were never my favorite and still aren’t. But I feel like she‘s making an honorable effort to engage with the audience. In some moments during her programs I feel like she‘s succeeding but sometimes I‘m not. It doesn‘t fully captivate me yet and I don‘t think it ever will. I just don‘t buy those Mishin programs. But I still hope she‘ll be doing fine this season, especially slaying that 3A. The season after the Olympic has already been hers once, maybe again? :)

I think she succeeded to connect with the audience until the first jump started, then it was over. At the end there was something with the Caravan Palace music but the spins ruin the acting. I actually was quite convinced by her step sequence to the slow French music, felt like it suited her the best out of all the styles in her skate. But something tells me it's not her preferred style, and she uses slow music because she can't go much faster than that.

Is that the original source for that expression? I only know it from reddit

Absolutely loved Medvedeva’s new style of skating. It looks like Brian was the perfect choice for Evgenia's future career. She’s adding some beautiful quality to her skating and her unparallel strength is still within her.
Boy, there is a whole army of Zagitova’s fans, who sure didn’t expect this and are going bananas over Medvedeva’s comeback. It sure sounds disgusting but at the same time funny.))) Poor souls!
Zagitova just didn’t impress, I don’t fancy mental weakness, which Alina again demonstrated, but overall Alina completely lost her youthful speed and lightness, and the attempt of her slow body to manage difficult content and steps look ridiculous.
Polina Tsurskaya and Tuktik were yet another pleasant surprise, looking forward to see these girls skate.
Radionova once again a disappointment.

Wow. I look forward to reading your further posts on Russian ladies skating. Thanks for proving not only Alina has disgusting fans.

Amei

Record Breaker
Her FS is filled with these one second spiral kind of moves and it is seriously the worse thing I can think of in terms of choreography. It is so unnecessary and it doesn't have absolutely anything to do with the music, it completely lacks purpose. And I think almost all of Daniil's programs I've seen so far this season have that. :noshake:
I mentioned this before, this thing of putting her leg up needs to stop, it's too much.

The choreography of both programs are troublesome. In the SP these moves were the ones which bothered me the most:

https://youtu.be/UsJ5sbjexTg?t=1m40s <- why???

https://youtu.be/UsJ5sbjexTg?t=1m10s <- why so short? If she just held that spiral at least for the "good niiiight" part it would be much much better than this.

This was not the best showcase of this program, she was completely off the music. By the beginning of the GP it will get better, I hope.

Her FS is not defying or provocative or flirty or what we expect from a Carmen program. That might change, of course. She's not performing it yet, I think she was just trying to do her jumps well while doing that busy choreography. And, once again, those moves:

https://youtu.be/oZQNpH1am1E?t=2m13s
https://youtu.be/oZQNpH1am1E?t=2m28s <- charlotte spiral, beautiful, well done, great 2A and then....... why????? :noshake:
https://youtu.be/oZQNpH1am1E?t=3m7s <- another one millisecond spiral.
https://youtu.be/oZQNpH1am1E?t=3m17s <- girl, hold your positions or at least choose one! :laugh:
That whole session looks so strange, with that heavy music with no accent no nothing. It's awkwardly choreographed. This is the worst part of the program imo.

https://youtu.be/oZQNpH1am1E?t=3m32s <- I know she needs them TR points but is that really necessary??

Watching this yet one more time, I noticed she has a lot of posing this season. A lot of "stops". Both in the SP and in the FS.
Also, each time I watch her SP I think it is a little less awful. I can see the intent behind some of it, but it is still very messy imo.

Has she commented on her programs? Maybe they are not finished yet. The FS seems more unfinished.

With all that said, I think she will do well this season. The programs are packed with transitions, her jumps seem fine. Yes, she had some trouble but it might be the nerves.
I hope she can put herself together and have a great year! This might be her last season after all, with Junior ladies right around the corner coming for her spot.
It will be a very interesting season.

I agree with you, the troubling thing about Zagitova is that her choreography is bad - there are decent elements but you don't get much enjoyment out of them (unless you love moves held only .25 second - if that's the case then Alina's programs are the greatest things ever!) but outside of holding her spins for the required time and the Charlotte in the 2A everything in both the SP and FS are barely held at all which doesn't make me hopeful that they just haven't finished with the FP.

I think that they really need to leave Danill to do the SP's but bring in someone else for the FS's.

I trust the judges know what to do in those moments.

Well that's brave of you :biggrin:

I love how you can criticize Alina up in flames here but say one thing about Evgenia and you get jumped by 4 people.

I think Alina's issue both here and with fans in the stands (someone remarked about it)is that she really burst onto the scene last year and did it through technical dominance, neither of her programs struck an emotional connection and so far I don't see either of her new programs doing that other, they are just to choppy.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evgenia - I thoroughly enjoyed her skating, because I felt that she is moving differently on the ice. Her posture has improved dramatically, and that's just the beginning. This is perfectly in line with what Brian Orser always stresses: when he takes on a new (to him) but already terrific skater, he starts over with the basics. She also seemed happy skating, although understandably nervous; she knows scrutiny is going to be intense, esp in Russia, but everywhere, people are going to be curious.

I recognized Sandra Bezic's touches in Zhenya's SP. It makes the program a bit of a throwback to me, but I think that's fine. I think that what they're doing is just loosening the reins a little, not trying to find the "right" style. Experimenting. Developing a style over time. There's no hurry. I think that's Brian's motto anyway: there's no hurry.

Mikael Kolyada - Wow, I enjoyed his skates so much. Starting with the red Carmen jacket! So cheeky. But I feel he's in command of himself, possibly starting with his intentions. He knows where he's at and how he wants to go forward. Stay classic Russian men's skating style! It works for him so beautifully.

Polina Tsurskaya - She skates to a program; she skates to perform. She expresses music with her movement; she expresses emotion with the subtleties of how she moves her body. Very lovely. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her this year.

I haven't watched very many, and I want to see Aliev's programs. He's another one I love.

andromache

Record Breaker
I think Alina's issue both here and with fans in the stands (someone remarked about it)is that she really burst onto the scene last year and did it through technical dominance, neither of her programs struck an emotional connection and so far I don't see either of her new programs doing that other, they are just to choppy.

Alina is the Tara Lipinski of 2018. If Tara had stuck around as an amateur or pro, she would’ve been loathed (though maybe with time she would’ve matured and grown on fans). Now as a commentator, she is not good at her job, but I think people are biased against her anyway partially because they disliked her skating. (Michelle Kwan could be a commentator and be the worst commentator in the world and no one would criticize her lol).

Alina is in a very difficult position with a ton of pressure in addition to being with a coach who seems to be very negative on her from a mental perspective, and on top of that, she trains on a daily basis with her “replacements.” I feel for her so much. It’s probably good for Alina that Evgenia left, honestly - it turned people against Evgenia and made them pro-Alina, and the poor girl needs all the support she can get.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Alina is the Tara Lipinski of 2018. If Tara had stuck around as an amateur or pro, she would’ve been loathed (though maybe with time she would’ve matured and grown on fans). Now as a commentator, she is not good at her job, but I think people are biased against her anyway partially because they disliked her skating. (Michelle Kwan could be a commentator and be the worst commentator in the world and no one would criticize her lol).

Alina is in a very difficult position with a ton of pressure in addition to being with a coach who seems to be very negative on her from a mental perspective, and on top of that, she trains on a daily basis with her “replacements.” I feel for her so much. It’s probably good for Alina that Evgenia left, honestly - it turned people against Evgenia and made them pro-Alina, and the poor girl needs all the support she can get.

I think that there is too much assumed things in this post:
Eteri’s bad on Alina’s mental state? And you would know this how? About time we drop the evil Eteri’s narrative
People is against Evgenia? Really...do not assume that a vocal group on internet is representative of the general feeling towards a skater, the support for Evgenia in the test skate was great...

Again these are test skates no need to declare a winner or a loser; all skaters have room to improve and they will probably will during the season...

Seruleane

Final Flight

I and most other Alina fans would beg to differ. I loved Don Quixote, it was by far the most exciting skate last season, and Black Swan was also a beautiful and intense SP. Sure, her programs may be choppier than Evgenia’s, and sure you can argue about her skating skills and posture and whatever else you care to criticize, but “emotional connection” is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

Seruleane

Final Flight

Calling Alina the Tara Lipinski of 2018 is just unfair and uncalled for. Also, the attacks on Alina have mostly been from North American fans who suddenly started loving Evgenia when she switched to BOrser, and suddenly started seeing improvement. Not sure where Alina is getting this Russian support you speak of when she was barely acknowledged as the OGM and TAT is still trashing her and her team.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mikael Kolyada - Wow, I enjoyed his skates so much. Starting with the red Carmen jacket! So cheeky. But I feel he's in command of himself, possibly starting with his intentions. He knows where he's at and how he wants to go forward. Stay classic Russian men's skating style! It works for him so beautifully.

I’m intentionally skipping this program. I’m waiting to see this one on the Grand Prix and crossing my fingers it is as exciting as I hope it is.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I just got to finally watching Tuk's freeskate and I am impressed. I haven't seen her look so engaged in a long time- she looked like she was having fun and it was fun to watch!

Also, I have never understood being biased against certain skaters or skaters from certain countries. I am from the USA and my favorite skaters are from all over the world. I also thinks it's possible for a skaters style to not be your cup of tea but still respect them as an athlete and performer. Just because something isn't your or my preference doesn't make it bad.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Tuktamysheva‘s choreographies in her programs were never my favorite and still aren’t. But I feel like she‘s making an honorable effort to engage with the audience. In some moments during her programs I feel like she‘s succeeding but sometimes I‘m not. It doesn‘t fully captivate me yet and I don‘t think it ever will.

This is exactly how I feel. There are too many moments in her programs where she lets go of the performance. Alina and Evgenia always seem to perform with purpose, and with Liza I feel like she does sometimes but then stops to prepare for technical elements.

lesnar001

Record Breaker

Tara loathed if she continued?

Maybe by Christine Brennan and certain notable MKF members - but she had plenty of fans in her day.
But maybe you are partially correct - I have seen nasty people still take digs at her performance on youtube even 20 years later.

What I really want to know is....
If Michelle Kwan has long ago gotten over her disappointment of not winning the Gold medal
Why can't these nasty, vile so-called fans let it go.
If I was famous and fans like these - it would nauseate me.

The nastiness and cattiness of CERTAIN types of FS fans never ceases to amaze me.

And IMO it is a very cynical and myopic view to say that Alina only has fans because these people turned against Evgenia.
I am a fan of both of them as are many others.

I'm glad you feel for her though. Maybe you can send her a nice message on instagram since she obviously needs so much support.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by TerpsichoreFS
I love how you can criticize Alina up in flames here but say one thing about Evgenia and you get jumped by 4 people.

So bursting onto the scene with techinal dominance opens you up to constant criticism - someone better warn Alexandra Trusova.
Oh sorry - it is already happening.

Emotional Connection - highly subjective and highly overrated.
BTW - no one's programs at the Olympics struck an "emotional connection" with me.

Johns

Rinkside
Absolutely loved Medvedeva’s new style of skating. It looks like Brian was the perfect choice for Evgenia's future career. She’s adding some beautiful quality to her skating and her unparallel strength is still within her.
Boy, there is a whole army of Zagitova’s fans, who sure didn’t expect this and are going bananas over Medvedeva’s comeback. It sure sounds disgusting but at the same time funny.))) Poor souls!
Zagitova just didn’t impress, I don’t fancy mental weakness, which Alina again demonstrated, but overall Alina completely lost her youthful speed and lightness, and the attempt of her slow body to manage difficult content and steps look ridiculous.
Polina Tsurskaya and Tuktik were yet another pleasant surprise, looking forward to see these girls skate.
Radionova is once again a disappointment.

Johns

Rinkside
Evgenia - I thoroughly enjoyed her skating, because I felt that she is moving differently on the ice. Her posture has improved dramatically, and that's just the beginning. This is perfectly in line with what Brian Orser always stresses: when he takes on a new (to him) but already terrific skater, he starts over with the basics. She also seemed happy skating, although understandably nervous; she knows scrutiny is going to be intense, esp in Russia, but everywhere, people are going to be curious.

I recognized Sandra Bezic's touches in Zhenya's SP. It makes the program a bit of a throwback to me, but I think that's fine. I think that what they're doing is just loosening the reins a little, not trying to find the "right" style. Experimenting. Developing a style over time. There's no hurry. I think that's Brian's motto anyway: there's no hurry.
Completely agree! The new style is so refreshing, and Evgenia can skate to any music, very artistic and musical.