2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Men's Short Program | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Men's Short Program

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Belinda? She's an Aussie :p Don't mix us up ;)

Right I'm going to see if I can get the stream going on my laptop again. Very rude of it to just die on me like that.
But on British Eurosport no-ad world stream there is no Belinda (like she was in 2018) . There is Chris Howarth with some former British Ice Dancer. I think it is the same lady as at Euros. And on linear Eurosport is Chris too. We have no Belinda :/ And no chance to choose another EN audio feed, although there are lot of other language availables.

But wait, except world no-ad stream and E1 stream there is also third stream, where we can see interviews with almost every single skater after their programs. And ladies practices too!

Kerston

Rinkside
The lady who was speaking was not part of team Johnny/Tara/Terry. It was like there were two commentaries from two different countries going on at the same time. The lady might have been Canadian(?). Who in the world was she?? It was very, very weird. I prefer commentary, but I couldn't stand everyone speaking over one another, and I went back to the stream without commentary. (Hope this makes sense.)
IKR. What's even more annoying is that she keeps stating the obvious. Like "Now he tilt his head down" "He continuous to spin" like WTH :angry:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IKR. What's even more annoying is that she keeps stating the obvious. Like "Now he tilt his head down" "He continuous to spin" like WTH :angry:

It was explained earlier that the feed was for the visually impaired. So there was a reason that the commentator was giving those details (I would not have known that myself without reading that post).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Shoma and Nathan were of course the class of the field. ...

And why wasn't Jason in the KnC he worked so to decorate?;)

Congratulations to Nathan and Shoma. :)

My guess is that Vincent and Jason probably wanted to be sure not to miss their practice in the Practice Rink for the individual competition.
Group 4 Men (including Team USA) were scheduled to practice in the Practice Rink starting at 12:25 pm local time. Men's Team SP was scheduled to end at 11:15 am in the Main Rink.
Skaters need time to warm up before getting on practice ice.
Plus they probably wanted to allow for plenty of transportation time to get to the Practice Rink.
Shuttle for media has been running between the two rinks only once per hour, according to Jackie's tweeting.
Shuttle for athletes perhaps also has been infrequent?

I was wondering about Jason, too. Is the Kiss and Cry different from the Team Box? I didn't see all the decorations where Nathan was sitting.

Yes, the Kiss and Cry is different from the team boxes.

When it is time for Country X's skater to be in the Kiss and Cry, those in Country X's team box leave the box to await their teammate in the Kiss and Cry.

(Sorry if these questions already have been answered in another thread by now.)

Last edited:

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
I think the limited audience numbers really help those who have shaky nerves like Shoma or those who want to chase their demons away like Nathan. Perhaps Vincent would actually do well here.The atmosphere really doesnt feel like an Olympic tbh.
My biggest worry for Vincent is the chance that the US is in first place going into his performance in the free (???). Not sure he could handle that.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I want Vincent to do the FS and earn a medal but I am worried people will crucify him if he falls. So I am not sure what I want........

Would Nathan decide to do it or probably not?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I watched on Peacock. I know that the Figure Skating Team Event Day 1 stream was without commentary, and the NBC Primetime stream had commentary by Johnny/Tara/Terry. However, on the NBC stream, there was also some lady doing commentary. It was really weird. I don't know who she was, but they were all talking over one another. It was driving me crazy and I had to turn off the NBC stream. What was going on?? How in the world do I turn off that lady's voice, and listen only to Johnny/Tara/Terry??
Could you perhaps have inadvertently started up two videos at the same time? It's happened to me on occasion, and it can be really annoying. Usually the two videos are in different windows or tabs, but at times they can even be in the same tab. Also, when they are in the same tab, only one may actually be visible; the other one has its picture in some never-land but its audio just keeps on playing.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
I want Vincent to do the FS and earn a medal but I am worried people will crucify him if he falls. So I am not sure what I want........

Would Nathan decide to do it or probably not?
I would be shocked if Nathan did the free. Thrilled, but shocked. I am not sure how much he values a team gold.

I agree. If Vincent does poorly things will turn ugly quick. Then again, they would turn uglier in Jason skated and did poorly considering all the Ilia controversy.

viennaskater

Medalist
But on British Eurosport no-ad world stream there is no Belinda (like she was in 2018) . There is Chris Howarth with some former British Ice Dancer. I think it is the same lady as at Euros. And on linear Eurosport is Chris too.
Happy that Chris is commentating. NOT happy that Louise Walden is there too. I don't like her voice, she talks too much and says a lot of irrelevant stuff - I mean, save your opinions until after the performance, dear. Leave Chris to comment on any important bits DURING the skating!

Would have been good to have Mark Hanretty alongside Chris, or even Simon with Chris. Together they are great!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It seems we know the startlist for men's individual event already as they seem to go by the WS list, and there is no draw within the groups.

The last group for men would be - Messing, Kvitelashvili, Chen, Brown, Kagiyama, Grassl. If Messing doesn't make it, Hanyu will move into the last group.

For OWG individual SP, I believe draws *will* take place within the final group and within the penultimate group -- per ISU Rules 403 and 520.
(For other OWG individual SP skaters, the draws basically are for the "skating later" entries and "skating earlier" entries.)

Rule 403
Draws at the Olympic Winter Games​

All draws will be conducted according to the Rules for ISU Championships.
However, the draw for the Short Program/Rhythm Dance in each discipline will be held two days in advance.
(p. 34)

B. ISU Championships – Special Technical Rules
Rule 520
Draws for Competitors​

d) there will be a free draw among Competitors with the highest ranking to skate in the last starting order group of the “skating later” part and a free draw among Competitors with the next highest ranking to skate in the next to last starting order group of the “skating later” part.
(p. 91)​

Whereas OWG team event has its own rule:

The participating skaters/couples will be listed according to their ISU World Standing placement at time of the Team Event. The starting order in the Short Program or Rhythm Dance segment will be the reverse order of the ISU World Standing placements.​

I read that there‘s a walkway between the main and practice rinks for the athletes use. But yes, the time of the men’s practice session is the most likely reason for Jason and Vincent’s absence in the team cheering section.

Good to know about the walkway for athletes. Thank you for making me aware.

ETA:

I see now that Jackie did tweet about the contrast of the indoor hallway available to athletes vs. requirement for media to take shuttles:

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1488445861214494721 (Feb 1)​

ETA:

Melanie Heaney's Feb 1 blog also mentioned that only certain types of credentials (not including media) are allowed to walk between Main Rink and Practice Rink.

BTW, Melanie's Feb 4 blog implies a bit of improvement in the shuttle schedule for media:

"The practice rink is right next door to the main rink, but we are only allowed to access it via the TinyShuttle(TM), which until today, only operated once an hour."​

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yeah - Johnny's "That was lackluster" was uncalled for, for sure. I'm not sure it was accurate, either. Grassl isn't as polished as the upper echelon skaters, and I'm sure he has skating skills work to do, but that wasn't lackluster.
Seriously, lacklustre? Wow. I was hoping Grassl will start get better reception after EU… 💔🥺

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Dear Members. During the first day of competitions at the Olympics we have noticed that many posters are completely forgetting that these are competition threads, as for actual skaters competing. They are not threads to express with whom you have an axe to grind, to express your political opinions, your issues about doping allegations, any issues you may have with certain countries or people, your opinion about cheating or not, disparaging comments about people experiencing mental health issues, and/or any xenophobic or homophobic opinions you wish to express. Such posts are contrary to forum guidelines in general but are especially off putting in competition threads. Please focus on what is happening on the ice.

Posts which contain such sentiments derail the thread and take the joy out of taking part in these threads for other posters who join in to enjoy the experience of watching a Figure Skating competition with like minded posters. The moderators are free to delete all such posts without warning, and will do so if this continues.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Amazing Nathan. He better not jinx it
I honestly wish they would do the team event after single
I get that sentiment, but I think Figure Skating is the marquis event of the Winter Olympics so they would likely keep it near the end to build the anticipation.