GPF Gala | Page 17 | Golden Skate

GPF Gala

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Yet they still had the banquet for ISU officals. They also placed the officials in a five-star hotel, and put all athletes in a much lesser extravagant one right next to it.
If everyone stayed in the same 4-star hotel, maybe they will have enough money to afford a bed for each athlete?

I heard a rumour that the skaters had to wait in line to sleep in bed this weekend.

eta

Medalist
omg
No real flags, no closing banquet, cheap medals, and only one bed for two competing athletes!!!
That's just ridiculous.

Yet they still had the banquet for ISU officals. They also placed the officials in a five-star hotel, and put all athletes in a much lesser extravagant one right next to it.
If everyone stayed in the same 4-star hotel, maybe they will have enough money to afford a bed for each athlete?

There really was no banquet? :shocked: I thought that was just accidentally left off from the schedule... :slink:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Yeah but come on, look at these girls, they are tiny and weigh next to nothing. In a pinch you could probably fit 3 of them in one bed :sarcasm:

shyne

Final Flight
There really was no banquet? :shocked: I thought that was just accidentally left off from the schedule... :slink:

no money, no banquet.
Canadians did have their own party yesterday though, ironically, in the 5-star hotel that housed the ISU officals. Not sure about other federations. They may have something for their skaters as well. Just no closing banquet.

eta

Medalist
no money, no banquet.
Canadians did have their own party yesterday though, ironically, in the 5-star hotel that housed the ISU officals. Not sure about other federations. They may have something for their skaters as well. Just no closing banquet.

I... I don't know what to say :palmf:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Finally watched the gala (though I couldn't devote 2+ hours of my time to an entire EX so I fast-forwarded through a few...)

Zagitova's 'Pink Panther' was cute.

Weird fall from B/S... but glad they ditched their clown routine.

I liked the disco EX from the two US junior dance teams, creative and fun!

Did Pogorilaya just skate the same EX routine but just change the song? She was doing a lot of the same moves she had done with 'Into You' earlier this season. That's how generic this is, the song doesn't even matter.

I'm so ready for D/R and Javi to get a new EX already, geez. :handw:

My overall interest in galas continues it's decline...

da96103

Record Breaker
Naaaah, if Yuzu would do Pairs, he'd want to be the lady. Always the one who gets thrown into the jumps :biggrin:

Are there any rules that say pairs cannot be the same sex. Yuzu can't be thrown. He's too big. Looking forward for Yuzu to throw Shoma and Anna to throw Zhenya.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
To sum up the organisation of the event. Bobrova/Soloviev went through a different ex program during the practice. But they switched on their old program, so they just skated that. Impromptu.
Bobrova, TAT and Grishin are commenting. Bobrova had to share a bed with Zhenya. That's what she mentioned.
This is the worst GPF, honestly.

By Zhenya do you mean Evgenia Medvedeva or Evgenia Tarasova? Sorry just want some clarification. Thanks for translating!

sarama

Medalist
They didn't have a banquet:jaw:... Who let these people organise the GPF???? :bang: I'm pretty sure most JGP events had better organisation

Interspectator

Record Breaker
We will wait for GPF Japan. They won't disappoint.
The kiss and cry will be decked with gold leaf. The medals will be huge and shiny. There will be resting rooms for the skaters at the rink. The seats will have backs. There will be flags.
The practices may be closed. :palmf:

shyne

Final Flight
We will wait for GPF Japan. They won't disappoint.
The kiss and cry will be decked with gold leaf. The medals will be huge and shiny. There will be resting rooms for the skaters at the rink. The seats will have backs. There will be flags.
The practices may be closed. :palmf:

And tickets may be sold out before any of us can get one:palmf:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US hasn't had the GPF since 2003 yet they allow another country to host it that did it on the cheap? Maybe NA needs a shot to host again. The US certainly showed with Worlds in Boston that they know how to host a major skating competition.

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I cannot believe V/M skate to Justin Bieber.

Scott probably can't either. They did an interview where they were saying that they never skate to music they don't like and the interviewer was like, "So Scott, you're a Bieber fan then?". He apparently took a lot of convincing for that one.

Natan Chen. There were a lot of weird pronunciations, but that one really cracks me up! :laugh2:

I noticed that too. Th is always pronounced like that in French, but I agree it was funny.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
As my final say I want to offer anyone not to blame France for some minor organizing shortcomings during this competition. Some fundings probably are going more into their security services to provide safety for their French citizens and us silly tourists. They probably paid a decent euro amount to make sure Marseille to be the safest place in the world during this Grande Prix. And obviously this was the money well-spent. Anyways, thanks France for being a good host and providing safe and elegant competition. Some small screwups happen sometimes. Everywhere. Let's not abuse hospitality of our French friends and just say thank you!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm with you all the way up to the plastic medals. That seems like it didn't have to be that way, considering I'm pretty sure I have a few metal medals laying around from triathlons when I was like 8.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
As my final say I want to offer anyone not to blame France for some minor organizing shortcomings during this competition. Some fundings probably are going more into their security services to provide safety for their French citizens and us silly tourists. They probably paid a decent euro amount to make sure Marseille to be the safest place in the world during this Grande Prix. And obviously this was the money well-spent. Anyways, thanks France for being a good host and providing safe and elegant competition. Some small screwups happen sometimes. Everywhere. Let's not abuse hospitality of our French friends and just say thank you!

Forcing skaters to share a bed, though, when the officials are in a 5 star hotel? That is shameful. I think getting a good night's sleep is paramount for these athletes and I could imagine that being a little awkward - at a minimum - even if the skaters get along well. Any little thing that deviates from the normal routine could be stressful when you are at a major competition. I wonder if it was just those two who were unlucky, or were there others in the same situation?

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Forcing skaters to share a bed, though, when the officials are in a 5 star hotel? That is shameful. I think getting a good night's sleep is paramount for these athletes and I could imagine that being a little awkward - at a minimum - even if the skaters get along well. Any little thing that deviates from the normal routine could be stressful when you are at a major competition. I wonder if it was just those two who were unlucky, or were there others in the same situation?
I think that is already an ISU issue, but not the hosting side. I'm sure of any French figure skating fan ( if they would know about such fund shortage) would rent for all skaters presidential suits in hotels all around Marseille. How come ISU people jew'ed out (hey, im a little jew myself, i can say that :p) on accommodations for skaters - is a big question indeed, but its not a French side shortcoming (I hope). :D

There are probably some funding issues between all feds and ISU. Political games or smth. :(

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The US hasn't had the GPF since 2003 yet they allow another country to host it that did it on the cheap? Maybe NA needs a shot to host again. The US certainly showed with Worlds in Boston that they know how to host a major skating competition.

Vancouver is getting GPF in 2018-2019. Quebec City hosted it in 2012. So yeah us is overdue.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Vancouver is getting GPF in 2018-2019. Quebec City hosted it in 2012. So yeah us is overdue.

Yes, I wonder if they just aren't bidding for it? (Or whatever the process is) Is it possible they (the USFG) is holding out for the Worlds?

I think it would be cool to bring the final to somewhere stateside. NYC would be really cool I think maybe they could even get some free promotion by hooking up with the lighting of the tree at Rockefeller center . The skaters would have a blast and it's really easy to get international flights (for Japanese fans) in and our of NYC.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, I wonder if they just aren't bidding for it? (Or whatever the process is) Is it possible they (the USFG) is holding out for the Worlds?

I think it would be cool to bring the final to somewhere stateside. NYC would be really cool I think maybe they could even get some free promotion by hooking up with the lighting of the tree at Rockefeller center . The skaters would have a blast and it's really easy to get international flights (for Japanese fans) in and our of NYC.

Coloraldo Springs is hosting 4CC in 2019, iirc. I know that Las Vegas with their new arena has been rumored to be bidding for events, but mainly Nationals or Skate America probably in 2018-2019.

My friend used to work for the Snohomosh County Sports Commission (Seattle area) and he told me once that they would love to host another skating event (Comcast Arena hosted Skate America in 2008).