2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

stella luna

Final Flight
Agree completely. Ashley's and Gracie's sophistication/attention to detail/expression/ is beyond compare to our other girls. I think we are so used to their intricate quality we take it for granted. That said...they have to deliver on the technical in the free tomorrow to deserve a stand on the podium.

They have to deliver on the technical, period, to be in serious contention for international medals.

stella luna

Final Flight
As to the differences between the Russian and US programs certainly the level of funding plays a role but I think that there are other difference that play a role too. My coach is Russian and said that students there take a lot more group lessons when they are younger and start to compete with each other at a pretty early age. They get used to competition at a much earlier age than in the US. Additionally, the testing standards in the US are not very difficult when you compare them to the competition standards. To pass the Senior freeskate test the most difficult jump required is a double lutz. I think that the federation is trying to make some changes, I think they recently changed a rule to lesson the penalty for a fall or under rotation on a triple at some of the lower levels to encourage skaters to put harder jumps in their programs. Still, they need to figure something out.

On a totally off topic note, I love how Frank smiles around Carly when he usually looks so serious. She also posted a selfie with him where he is smiling. She seemed really happy on Her social media to be in the top 15. I love seeing skaters like her for whom nationals was a huge goal really enjoy the experience.

I thought Frank was looking sharp last night. Nice outfit! :thumbsup:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
They need to stop pushing certain skaters. If they mess up, *cough* Gracie *cough* Ashley, put them where they are. It's ridiculous. What a farce this competition is. Ashley is just not that good, average B skater who was in the right place at the right time. Gracie is mentally unstable and can't compete. Stop giving them brownie points already!!!!!

NAOTMAA

Medalist
They need to stop pushing certain skaters. If they mess up, *cough* Gracie *cough* Ashley, put them where they are. It's ridiculous. What a farce this competition is. Ashley is just not that good, average B skater who was in the right place at the right time. Gracie is mentally unstable and can't compete. Stop giving them brownie points already!!!!!

Mentally unstable is a bit harsh don't you think? :think: I don't think she'll be going on some shooting rampage anytime soon :biggrin:

I think mentally weak fits better. Either way I completely agree with everything else you said ;)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps the main simple difference is that right now figure skating is the most popular sport for young girls in Russia. Like thousands of girls in Norway want to do cross country skiing due to the Norwegian women winning almost everything internationally(even with Bjørgen home with her newborn baby boy :)).

Why then are the US Ladies dominating everything in women's gymnastics? I imagine gymnastics is still popular in Russia but the US has so much depth that the second team could probably win a team medal at Worlds.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Gold's flip not marked for at least ! is a complete joke, it's IMO e and you don't need slow-mo to see that. Speaking of jokes, I really don't get why skaters like Nagasu and Pierce can skate good, clean programs that are technically as good or stronger than Gold's, but Gold while missing an entire jump pass potentially worth over 7 points is still ahead of them. If I'm a casual spectator I'm really going to get the impression that the wrong person won. If Polina didn't participate and the SP determined the final placings, Gold winning with a program like that is unfair to everyone.

karlowens2

On the Ice
After a lot of frustration this fall I accepted that in ice skating the better competitor often places above the better skater. It's the nature of the business. Gracie may not figure out how to compete better. Ashley started her campaign to up her skills rather late. Lady skaters are generally inconsistent. Rad falls. Tut falls. Those who are consistent are so for only a while. Kwan, Witt, a few others had long stretches of consisency.

It's disappointing to the fans when such talented people falter. Calling them head cases, over-rated, etc. is harsh. In fact we should not be calling them anything. They are people with a dedication beyond anything we will know. They are remarkable; I admire them. They deserve our compassion and support.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I suggest you to read here for the cold truth.See how many medals she had on her bag when she was 20.People really need to educate themselves before having an opinion.:palmf:

By the way, this has nothing to do with Polina Edmunds.I love her and would love to see getting more international accomplishment.
She won 2 Junior GP's and one Junior Event in 2006. No wins until the year 2012 and she was 20 years old in 2012. She started to win medals at GP events when she was 18. So I would suggest that you read the data you provide before you criticise people who did their homework.

Plisskin

Medalist
Why then are the US Ladies dominating everything in women's gymnastics? I imagine gymnastics is still popular in Russia but the US has so much depth that the second team could probably win a team medal at Worlds.
The US WAG program right now is reminiscent of the Soviets in the 70's and 80's. A lot of internal competition, pretty much like what we are seeing in FS with Russian ladies right now. And just like Russian ladies, they left a World and Olympic medalist at home when they went to Worlds last year since they screwed up at Nationals. Instead, their were other girls behind them ready to take their place. That level of internal competition in US Ladies figure skating doesn't really exist. And the Fed likes to hold up certain skaters which wouldn't happen in US WAG.

Ekm

On the Ice
Did Polina and Mirai really rotate everything, and Hannah only UR te combo? Or generous tech caller? I hope it was legit and Polina has ironed out her UR issues, because if she can rotate everything there is really no reason she can't score/place well internationally.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Can someone explain me why America believes so much in Gracie Gold? I've never seen a clean short and a clean long program from her; okay she has great skating skills and artistry but this isn't enough anymore. She doesn't deserve second place after the short program.

Also respect for Polina, but i hope this won't be the numbers we will see at worlds: a 65-66 (steps sequence was pretty empty to me) would be more appropriate, but nonetheless great job there, this is definetely her chance to win Nationals.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After a lot of frustration this fall I accepted that in ice skating the better competitor often places above the better skater. It's the nature of the business.

But not here. Gracie is not a good competitor in general and certainly was not here. But she still placed above Mirai and Tyler, who both skated programs with fewer errors (and no zeros on required elements). Ashley is a good competitor, at times, but often has to come from behind. All she had to do here was stay on her feet and she would be in first place. But she didn't.

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Did Polina and Mirai really rotate everything, and Hannah only UR te combo? Or generous tech caller? I hope it was legit and Polina has ironed out her UR issues, because if she can rotate everything there is really no reason she can't score/place well internationally.

Polina didn't UR anything in my opinion, practically everything was borderline however.

Note though that "borderline" is pretty standard, most skaters jump almost all their jumps borderline.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Did you watch Polina's skate? She looked clean as a whistle to me and I've been critical of her flip in the past.

Plisskin

Medalist

Not sure about Mirai but in slow-mo Polina did rotate everything. Especially her opening combination which, while telegraphed was pretty. There was no question about that lutz-toe. Her flip was the best she's done it all season too. And yeah, Hanna only UR'ed and fell on her opening combo. Everything else was rotated which was a great job for her. :thumbsup:

Last edited: