2016 NHK Trophy Ladies FS | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Ladies FS

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Just watched Mira's LP. Wow...the judges are back to killing her on technical levels. Even her spins are just a level 3...really? Her performance was not podium level but she deserved higher than 116. If Mirai could just change the emotionless face and attack her step sequence a little more maybe that would help. Obviously those issues have nothing to do with her technical marks for jumps but the judges look for something to mark her down on rather than what to give her as a positive. Discouraging.
I've only looked at her spin levels yesterday and I think that her new boots are affecting her spins a little bit. I think she wanted to do a change of edge as a feature during her camel spin and I've seen that better from her. She should be able to fix this in no time. I hope that this equipment change can really give her a boost.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The Zhenya hate is so boring. :yawn: It's not even amusing anymore.

In fact, there are not that many actively writing haters - they are all known with some recent additions. There is also a number of people who give thumb ups to support the first group.

But it changes nothing. Medvedeva will keep on winning every competition she enters breaking all the records as long as she skates the way she skated the last year and a half. And she is truly amazing. I saw her live 3 times - she does not just skate - she flies. No one ever was like she is. And the judges just do their job. Gracie had a chance in Boston but not any longer. Clean Gracie will not beat clean Medvedeva this season even in theory ("clean Gracie" is an oxymoron). This makes haters even more full of bitterness.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Satokos FS and performance are MAGNIFICENT. One of the best free programs of this season, and her interpretation of it blew me away.

If only she had bigger jumps, she would be unstoppable. Her artistry and polish are miles ahead of the top Russians.

No, she is not a huge presence on the ice so even PCS shouldn't be so high (she is one of those skaters that live looks even smaller), also as the B.ESP guy said, her short program was very old school in the style. (to me the short looks a little junioristic)

I think she is a lovely skater, i like her layback but i don't think she is robbed, or her artistry is that much better than the top russians.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wow, British Eurosport Lady didn't like Anna's program. "That is not a World Championship winning program, not memorable." Okay. I still prefer the three old male commentators from BESP. I'm just not into these newer two combis. So I think I'll continue to watch German ESP.

I think Anna was a bit nervous today and exhausted in her performance. I hope two weeks are enough to get the engine going. I really prefer this to the millionth Scheherazade or Firebird.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
In fact, there are not that many actively writing haters - they are all known with some recent additions. There is also a number of people who give thumb ups to support the first group.

But it changes nothing. Medvedeva will keep on winning every competition she enters breaking all the records as long as she skates the way she skated the last year and a half. And she is truly amazing. I saw her live 3 times - she does not just skate - she flies. No one ever was like she is. And the judges just do their job. Gracie had a chance in Boston but not any longer. Clean Gracie will not beat clean Medvedeva this season even in theory ("clean Gracie" is an oxymoron). This makes haters even more full of bitterness.

She FLIES? Were you watching her through omnioculars? I watched her in Boston and she certainly doesn't not fly.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, after looking at the scores, I guess it's a good thing I went to sleep and missed the Ladies. It's much easier for me to watch after I know the scores, especially when they aren't good. It looks like the North American gals had a rough evening. Karen is young and has little to prove. However, Alaine and Mirai are Nationals Champions and to see them BOTH finish out of the top 6 in the Free Program is truly shocking.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
No, she is not a huge presence on the ice so even PCS shouldn't be so high (she is one of those skaters that live looks even smaller), also as the B.ESP guy said, her short program was very old school in the style. (to me the short looks a little junioristic)
I think she is a lovely skater, i like her layback but i don't think she is robbed, or her artistry is that much better than the top russians.
Not to mention artistry is widely subjective. None of the top skaters can be as elegant as professional dancers.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Miyahara's artistry is subtle, elegant, and appropriate. Can you imagine if Pogo, Rad, or Sot were skating that FS? There would be tons of flailing about and dramatic facial expressions.

I hear you on the presence thing. Such a shame.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
She FLIES? Were you watching her through omnioculars? I watched her in Boston and she certainly doesn't not fly.

Medvedeva skates as if she is weightless. With all positive qualities of Satoko's skating outside jumps she does not convey the same feeling. Although, objectively I never saw Satoko live.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

Everyone sees what they want to see:

You like Med = She flies. You're neutral = She doesn't fly. You dislike her = She's slow.

Why bother to bring Gracie into this, idk though. This girl has it hard enough at the moment. Continuing to downtalk when she is at her lowest...well, it's not necessary to put people down when your favourite rules the universe anyway, I say.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Speed is objective. FLY is a huge exaggeration. Just as CRAWL would be too for Med.

I never mentioned Gold at all. You're referring to the wrong person.

shyne

Final Flight
Medvedeva skates as if she is weightless. With all positive qualities of Satoko's skating outside jumps she does not convey the same feeling. Although, objectively I never saw Satoko live.

Satoko has great speed, flow and nice ice coverage as well. But I agree with you that she has very small presence on ice and it's hard to get the emotion across with such small presence.
I love Medvedeva but I don't find her faster on ice. But again, when you are doing this many transitions and intricate footwork, how fast can you be? I guess you are much faster if you cut off all the transitions and just do cross-overs.

Maybe it's just me, but when I watch Dance/Pairs/Men, the differences among the speed of top athletes (last group) are very obvious. But I just don't find the same for the Ladies.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Speed is objective. FLY is a huge exaggeration. Just as CRAWL would be too for Med.

I never mentioned Gold at all. You're referring to the wrong person.

Only the first part of my post was an answer to yours. Sorry.

Lipea

Final Flight
Satokos FS and performance are MAGNIFICENT. One of the best free programs of this season, and her interpretation of it blew me away.

If only she had bigger jumps, she would be unstoppable. Her artistry and polish are miles ahead of the top Russians.

Maybe not miles, but yes, she has probably the best SS and choreo in the current top ladies field

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Miyahara's artistry is subtle, elegant, and appropriate. Can you imagine if Pogo, Rad, or Sot were skating that FS? There would be tons of flailing about and dramatic facial expressions.

I hear you on the presence thing. Such a shame.

I think Sotskova or Zhenya could skate a piece like that, Anna and Lena maybe not but because their style are different.

Can you imagine Satoko skating Anna's programs? she doesn't have Anna's body and sass to skate an awesome tango, or she isn't the kind of skater for dramatic performances.

The one thing i like about the russian ladies nowadays is that they aren't trying to copy each other in the programs and the style: Maria is a ballerina on the ice, while Radionova is the performer, Anna and Liza's style are more mature, and Zhenya love acting.

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I think Sotskova or Zhenya could skate a piece like that, Anna and Lena maybe not but because their style are different.

Can you imagine Satoko skating Anna's programs? she doesn't have Anna's body and sass to skate an awesome tango, or she isn't the kind of skater for dramatic performances.

The one thing i like about the russian ladies nowadays is that they aren't trying to copy each other in the programs and the style: Maria is a ballerina on the ice, while Radionova is the performer, Anna and Liza's style are more mature, and Zhenya love acting.

For me, they look all the same: pantomime, sloppy jumps, tanos, OTT face expression but no real emotions :confused2:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Maria Sotskova is a breath of fresh air for me. :luv17::luv17: I hope she works on speed overall and usage of the ice, which I am sure she will once she matures and builds more muscles and power. :yes:
Anyway, congratulations to her to advance to GPF on her senior debuting season! :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe not miles, but yes, she has probably the best SS and choreo in the current top ladies field

If we're talking the distance to the moon I'll give Satoko a few miles :rock: