2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS | Page 144 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS

bixby

Final Flight
I dont respect Yuzuru coz he chosed the easier way, that program was good form 3 years ago when it was made, not now. He knew that with easier program he will be the winner anyway

Not taking away anything from Yuzu, but part of me is saying he was LUCKY Nathan Chen didn't have a decent short. Even with his two masterful programs here that he delivered, it won't hold up against Nathan had he skated his best short. So technically he benefited from Nathan's mishaps in the short. Had it went down toe to toe both going clean in both segments of the competition, Nathan will be the clear winner.

But mad respect for Hanyu regardless! He's definitely one of the greats, I have to admit. CONGRATS!

Alchamei

Record Breaker
You are killing me with half sincere spoiler alerts--not spoiler alerts :devil:. I don't even try, I just go ahead and spoil :rofl:

I try to be kind, the may be some people who may watch it later without knowing the results. :biggrin: I mean, I wanted to watch the men's short that way, but my news site showed me the results, but I was so exited anyway!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Don't know about the first part, but for the second everyone in Spain had two last names, one from their mother and one from their father.

So I guess he's Javier Lopez Fernandez.

How do you choose which name you go under? Why is he not Lopez?

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Not taking away anything from Yuzu, but part of me is saying he was LUCKY Nathan Chen didn't have a decent short. Even with his two masterful programs here that he delivered, it won't hold up against Nathan had he skated his best short. So technically he benefited from Nathan's mishaps in the short. Had it went down toe to toe both going clean in both segments of the competition, Nathan will be the clear winner.

But mad respect for Hanyu regardless! He's definitely one of the greats, I have to admit. CONGRATS!

With out the "nothing to lose" feeling, who knows what Nathan might have put out in the free.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Had it went down toe to toe both going clean in both segments of the competition, Nathan will be the clear winner.

1. Hanyu lost more than 10 points in this free skate
2. Hanyu best free skate score is 223

So no. Clean Chen wouldn't beat clean Hanyu

Leonardo

Final Flight
Boyang is outrageously robbed. He should be the third, and Javi should be the second.

I like Shoma for being a cute boy and all that, but he was not better than Javi and Boyang here.

Shoma was better than Boyang both in the short and in the long program. Such a shame Boyang fell and didn't show the enough pcs to be a medalist. He's a cute boy and all, but he got a deserved 4th. And he needs to polish his skating skills, transitions and overall artistry.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Did the Japanese lobby also bribe Javier into popping his jump? Because if so ....

That somehow it was his fault that he had to be near flawless just to go over a program with multiple errors and freebie GOE's is insulting to Javi. The judges should have at least have the decency to score Uno properly on his poor jumping technique. I think of all the top skaters it's Uno that stand out with all this overscoring in jump elements.

myself

Rinkside
Is Fernandez and Hernandez the same name? Honest question. (I never got that Javier's name is also Lopez, how does that work?)

I believe in some Latin countries its customary to use both your father's and your mother's family names.

Maybe he just uses only the one in FS for simplicity?

Panpie

On the Ice
Patrick: Beautiful programs! So glad you stuck around for this Olympics.
Jin Boyang: great jumps and a nice lighthearted moment.
Nathan: Amazing comeback! Truly the Quad King.
Adam: Fantastic skating all week! It was the right choice to send you.
Vincent: What an Olympic moment!
Javi: Terrific performance and an Olympic figure skating medal for Spain! So many wonderful performances over the years, and this one was beautiful!
Shoma: Put up a tent on almost every podium because that's where you belong. Such tenacity and fire.
Yuzuru: holding off injury, countryman, training mate, and quad princes and kings to repeat as Olympic champion. You are a legend.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How do you choose which name you go under? Why is he not Lopez?

Well the father's name traditionally goes last...but I guess you could pick either?

I know the two last name thing because the lady I work for is from Peru. Not sure about the rest LOL

Ophelia

Record Breaker

What if what if what if. You can't just apply "what if" to one skater and not to the other skater.

IF Nathan had not bombed his SP
IF Hanyu was not skating 3 weeks recovered from injury and also skated his best SP and LP

THEN Hanyu would wipe the floor with Nathan.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Is it ok that despite the fact that I love me some Kristi Yamaguchi I want to switch her out for Tanith? :dev2: It makes so much more sense for Tanith to join Ben and Charlie on this show

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
With out the "nothing to lose" feeling, who knows what Nathan might have put out in the free.

Absolutely. I think it could've been possible to be Olympic Champion for Nathan, I actually predicted he would be. But that Free was only possible because of the Short. He had no pressure anymore and NOTHING to lose.

madibe

On the Ice
Yuzuru: The greatest of all time.
Shoma: A very poor man's Daisuke Takahashi, his performances have always felt exhausting to me, but he deserves his place on the podium and in the pantheon of Japanese greats.
Javier: My pick for silver and a legend in his own right. No one has conducted his career with more honor, integrity, and down to earthedness than he has. If this is his last performance, it was a great way to go out.
Nathan: One of the most courageous performances of all time. For some reason, his last two days made me reflect on the scandal involving USA gymnastics, and the way that athletes who are not yet adults are thrown into the spotlight, expected to perform despite any behind the scenes obstacles, and tossed aside and criticized when they don't succeed. For everyone thinking that I am suggesting that he has been abused--please calm down. But what he did tonight transcends sports for me. Hope he can stay healthy--and for all those saying he was overhyped, he won the free skate here by 9 points...
Patrick: Interested to see where he goes from here--doesn't seem like he would be interested in coaching or working as a choreographer. A little bit sad to see him go out on a less than high note, but his legacy and influence was evident in the final flight.

Vincent: Such an admirable performance by the forgotten member of the US team. Please get a new coach and choreographer.

ADAM :luv17:: Thank you for everything you've done in the past week to bring figure skating into the mainstream. The moment at the end of your free skate was another that transcended the sport. Can't wait to see you on Bravo.

synteis

Medalist
Also I'm looking at the score breakdown from the judges: skatingscores.com/2018/oly/men/long/tss/

The USA judge I am looking at you with shade. Chen - 1, Uno - 2, Javi - 3, Vincent - 4, Hanyu - 5, Boyang - 6