2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance | Page 84 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance

jccool5000

Rinkside
You call that "EXCESSIVE NUDITY"? Give me a break... if that's excessive nudity, then what isn't? I honestly barely noticed it, though I could see the performance was a little tentative. I do think P/C were a little overscored in terms of the twizzles though (probably lose a level), their lift was wobbly, and overall PCS could be around 0.5 points lower. Should have been around 80 overall. Free skate will be interesting now.

To be fair, CBC decided to play the OBS's slow-mo footage, and at the end, there was a very obvious close up.

jccool5000

Rinkside
In the interview papadakis said it'll cost them 5 points to fix her top. Is it just me or is the rules too harsh on that

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem is by holding up the French and knowing what we know about preferences in the free dance now the French had been assured of OGM basically.

I said I thought the judges were wrong to hold them up, didn't I? Not sure what you were responding to.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I can’t believe how close 1st and 2nd are. V/M should be a mile clear at this stage. They were on fire in the SD. Generally I find the SD boring as it is the same thing over and over with in most cases the same music choices but they stood out from every one else. A superb performance from them.

I don’t think this SD works for P/C, this type of dance is not them, it seems cold and clinical to me. They had an obvious error in the twizzles but are still on the heels of V/M. Totally over marked, should they not have been dinged for a costume malfunction? I think I hey are going to be our Olympic gold medalists. I watched on BBC and they have digitally covered up the incident.

The Shibs got a great reaction from the audience but I was not as keen. Funny but some people in work referenced their SD in the team event and how it was awkward watching a brother and sister to perform a Latin dance.The BESP guys loved H/D, could it be a Montreal podium?

The Italians done well to be placed 5 but they were visibly slower that the other teams but hit their tech. I was super excited when I seen B/S TES after they finished but they lost nearly 3.5 points to end up in 6th. Lv3 on both steps sequences cost them, other than that they would be in the final flight and on the tails of the US couples.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I don't care in the slightest about the costume malfunction (what, are people 12? The pearl-clutching is a bit much), except that it clearly distracted P/C and marred their presentation of the program.

I don't know what you are referring to with the "pearl-clutching" comment, but Gabi said herself that it was her worst nightmare (http://m.huffingtonpost.fr/2018/02/...de-sa-robe_a_23365184/?utm_hp_ref=fr-homepage).

Feeling (and being) that exposed when it wasn't your intention in front of an audience of millions must have been mortifying.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I won't be watching tonight the final flight. Too nervous and too disappointed in the judging. The French have the gold on a platter and it wouldn't be so bad if they deserved it but I am sorry chockaw or not there were far too many issues with the French team skate in the sd even before we get to Gabby not being an equal to Guillaume. I have always said i prefer their freeskate to Virtue and Moir though if I were marking it even ifthey both did their best I would give the nod to V and M because as I keep saying people forget it is not about whether you like the music it is how they use it and was it done well. You can hate music or whatever but it can score very well if you do the best with it. Hence I suppolse Kolyada and that dreadful Elvis or T and M and Candyman can do very well or equally as well as to other music. But i feel powerless like watching a crime against V and M occur and can do nothing. It is like they have pre etched gold to PC. Its like you can see the car coming towards you about to ruin your life or at least car and it might not even be fair but it is going to happen.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For what it's worth, my casual skating friend liked both Virtue and Moir and the Shibs for different reasons, so it's completely possible to like one couple for the steam and the other for the fun. :)

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
The whole thing smell bad. A costume malfunction at the olys of all places before you go out to skate your short program humm. Has that ever happened to the French team before.
Well Lecavelier also had a costume malfunction in her FS at Euros this year. But I don't know if it's happened to the French at the Olympics before. :/

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
People are up in arms while conveniently forgetting that this wasn't V/M's best sd of the season. A little scratchy, a little slow, skating further apart and not the nicest set of twizzles.

rain

Record Breaker
I don't know what you are referring to with the "pearl-clutching" comment, but Gabi said herself that it was her worst nightmare (http://m.huffingtonpost.fr/2018/02/...de-sa-robe_a_23365184/?utm_hp_ref=fr-homepage).

Feeling (and being) that exposed when it wasn't your intention in front of an audience of millions must have been mortifying.

I'm referring to the "pearl-clutching" of some of the audience who seem to be so horribly scandalized (but at the same time so excited by the whole thing that they're sharing photos of the incident — shame on them) by *gasp* a breast! Basically, I'm bemused by the audience overreaction.

Gabriella has every right to feel however she feels about and I wouldn't presume to comment, except to say that this too shall pass. Not the first nip slip and won't be the last. Horribly tacky of everyone spreading images around, though.

rain

Record Breaker
In the interview papadakis said it'll cost them 5 points to fix her top. Is it just me or is the rules too harsh on that

Ah, but here's the other side of the coin. If there is no harsh penalty, it could (and I say would) become a tactic, if you didn't start your program well, to have something on your costume that you can "oops", head on over to the referee and presto! start again, wiping the slate clean. We'd see a rash of costume malfunctions.

Like in many sports, the athletes are responsible for the condition of their equipment, in skating, that includes the costume. It's entirely fair.

edenlover

On the Ice
Well, for me, in the cold light of day, and re-watching P/C, other than the twizzle being a little affected, I thought they gave a great, strong, performance overall, I really did. Should be behind V/M, as it is, but I don't find the small margin completely outrageous.

I AM, however, outraged over Shibs. I have liked their programs more and more as the season has gone on, and thought they really sold it last night. Seems like the level call was a little nitpicky, especially if Ben A. is right and V/M kind of got the benefit of the doubt in at least one spot re: Tessa's edge, but I'm far from an expert. Worried the Shibs are getting tanked but at least the judges were rewarding them and it was more of a tech caller situation.

Can't feel H/D are worthy of third. They seem lovely people and I know they have ardent fans, but to me they have one note, selling sex appeal, and for me they're not that stunning at even that one note. Upthread someone called Hubbell's movement ungainly, and honestly, her movement does seem that way to me also. Their dancing is very heavy to me.

On to the free dance, which will be a nailbiter. As always always always it seems, Tessa and Scott have crafted a good program (to many, a great one!) as the season has progressed. I found Moulin Rouge unwatchable all season long, until the Team Event here at PyeongChang, and as usual The Great Ones won me over to the program. It's far from my favorite of theirs, but the first section, while still a little overdone to me in EMOTING (I'm looking at you here, Scott, lol) it is a very good program now with more light and shade and less bombast.

Finally, someone has put into words what I couldn't. Thank you, ManyCairns. I also think both top teams were a little overmarked--I wondered about the execution in a couple of parts of V/Ms program, but I've ALWAYS thought they cover mistakes because of the dramatic expressions (which I'm not a fan of). I like a little less acting in all of figure skating because I feel the over-acting by many skaters detracts from the viewer's and perhaps judges' perception of the actual skating. I'll probably get killed for saying that, but that's how I feel. I'd rather watch, for example, the freshness of Bradie Tennel rather than the over-artistic movements of others and I'm not making any other comparisons, because I think these skaters all work hard to give us their best. Also, I have to say the watching from a TV screen is so much different from watching in person. I haven't had a rink-side view of a competition for a few years, but I remember how different it was to watch from the rink, then watch the replays on TV (both in Cleveland and StLouis) late night after I returned from the competition.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I'm referring to the "pearl-clutching" of some of the audience who seem to be so horribly scandalized (but at the same time so excited by the whole thing that they're sharing photos of the incident — shame on them) by *gasp* a breast! Basically, I'm bemused by the audience overreaction.

Gabriella has every right to feel however she feels about and I wouldn't presume to comment, except to say that this too shall pass. Not the first nip slip and won't be the last. Horribly tacky of everyone spreading images around, though.

Luckily, I haven't read or seen anything like that. It would make me really angry. The French press seems to be respectful and sympathetic. Like I said earlier, I'm glad for her sake that she's not American.

jccool5000

Rinkside
Yes but 5 points is a bit excessive, don't you think? Maybe 2 or 3 points is more fair. And even after you fix it, you'd have to start where you ended ofc. no starting over again.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, but here's the other side of the coin. If there is no harsh penalty, it could (and I say would) become a tactic, if you didn't start your program well, to have something on your costume that you can "oops", head on over to the referee and presto! start again, wiping the slate clean. We'd see a rash of costume malfunctions.

Like in many sports, the athletes are responsible for the condition of their equipment, in skating, that includes the costume. It's entirely fair.

Yes but 5 points is a bit excessive, don't you think? Maybe 2 or 3 points is more fair. And even after you fix it, you'd have to start where you ended ofc. no starting over again.

slider11

Medalist
Well Lecavelier also had a costume malfunction in her FS at Euros this year. But I don't know if it's happened to the French at the Olympics before. :/

So where were Dubreil and Lauzon before or after P/C's SD? I get that they had another team right after (V/M) but isn't it usual that the main coaches split the responsibilities in such a situation. I know one of the coaches were with P/C (Romain and a woman) but it just seems that one of the top coaches would have come to be with Gabriela after that mortifying experience. And more importantly if Marie-France or Patrice had been there before maybe they would have caught the loose dress hook or had a better solution than what the one coach provided. Anyone hear of a safety pin? Does this have anything to do with V/M's need for undivided attention after Sochi - don't freak on me, just asking.

ChanClan

On the Ice
So where were Dubreil and Lauzon before or after P/C's SD? I get that they had another team right after (V/M) but isn't it usual that the main coaches split the responsibilities in such a situation. I know one of the coaches were with P/C (Romain and a woman) but it just seems that one of the top coaches would have come to be with Gabriela after that mortifying experience. And more importantly if Marie-France or Patrice had been there before maybe they would have caught the loose dress hook or had a better solution than what the one coach provided. Anyone hear of a safety pin? Does this have anything to do with V/M's need for undivided attention after Sochi - don't freak on me, just asking.

Well actually, Marie-France was with PC and Romain before their SD. She wasn't in the kiss and cry with VM, Patrice was so that's why he wasn't with PC before their SD. Patrice hasn't been in the kiss and cry with PC all season so really no surprise there. And then Marie-France was probably with HD right before their SD which was directly after PC.

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
Honestly, I’ve prepared myself for v/m to get silver as soon as they were announced as the flag bearers. Every time a Canadian figure skater Carries it they get silver or worse.