2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Mdk0144

On the Ice
Did Maxieme Deschamps find a new partner? I saw a video of Kyueun Kim and her new partner, and it seems like her new partner is Maxieme.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It’ll be interesting to see, as the JGP circuit continues, how Gogolev’s base value compares to the other top junior men. He has three in his program. Of the others present, only Savoisin’s program had more than one (what I assume was meant to be a second 4T that he doubled).

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, JGP Slovakia is in the can. Survey:

Men
- Gogolev delivered like we were all hoping he would. Stands a good chance of being the story of Canadian skating this fall.
- Rakic, who I wasn't really familiar with previously, showed a lot of promise (and a more realistic technical standard for a skater of that age group).

Ladies
- Schumacher keeps plugging away at that 3S-3T combination, I'm sure she'll figure it out. Canadian ladies are never stars in juniors, so I'd say she's got pretty decent foundation so far to succeed as a senior.

Pairs
- McIntosh/Toste remain adorable. These two will be JGP stars in a couple of seasons, I bet.
- Andrew/Fletcher were fine too. The age gap between them still looks kind of weird to me.

Ice dance
- Bashynska/Beaumont had a notable error in the short, and then a really nice free. Promising start for them, since this is their first season. Another team that I think could be making podiums in the future.
- Fabbri/Ayer were the opposite, with a good short and then that nasty fall in the free. Surely disappointing for them, but that sort of thing is hardly unexpected in the early days.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Beverley Smith has a pair of pieces up about Nam and Keegan.

Noteworthy is that Keegan lays out that his current plan is to do two seasons and then decide whether to make a run at the 2022 Olympics or not.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Skate Canada High Performance Camp is this week, I believe? :yay:

Did Maxieme Deschamps find a new partner? I saw a video of Kyueun Kim and her new partner, and it seems like her new partner is Maxieme.

Wow … very interesting. Would the idea be for them to skate for Korea or for Canada?? :popcorn:

(BTW, any word on a new partner for Alex Kam?)

$ounds to me like the organizer$ of TdeF may have been involved. Thank$ Brati$lava, for giving $tephen hi$ moment! A dollar $aved i$ a dollar earned. :rolleye:

Congratulations to Gogolev. :bow:

The anthem glitch was unfortunate, but I cannot imagine any reason that it had anything to do with saving money.

From p. 9 of the JGP series announcement:
8. NATIONAL ANTHEM
The Organizing Committee asks all ISU Members to bring a copy of their National Anthem on CD or MP3.

I assume that Skate Canada did bring a copy (as it already would have been extremely familiar with the drill from umpteen zillion other international competitions).

Why the copy from Skate Canada did not get played is a mystery (AFAIK), but I cannot see that money would have been an issue.

MajaHled

Rinkside
Skate Canada High Performance Camp is this week, I believe? :yay:

Wow … very interesting. Would the idea be for them to skate for Korea or for Canada?? :popcorn:

Congratulations to Gogolev. [emoji144]

The anthem glitch was unfortunate, but I cannot imagine any reason that it had anything to do with saving money.

From p. 9 of the JGP series announcement:
8. NATIONAL ANTHEM
The Organizing Committee asks all ISU Members to bring a copy of their National Anthem on CD or MP3.

I assume that Skate Canada did bring a copy (as it already would have been extremely familiar with the drill from umpteen zillion other international competitions).

Why the copy from Skate Canada did not get played is a mystery (AFAIK), but I cannot see that money would have been an issue.
Re anthem: I don't know exactly what happened either, but my best guess is that it was the sound system in the arena that gave out. In the morning that day they already couldn't play that melody that's supposed to be played before introducing the officials and stuff (what's that even called?). They ended up playing it from a laptop and holding a microphone to it, lol. Then later that day the whole system went down again for the warm-up of group 3 of men IIRC. So I guess they had trouble with the CD player/whatever was plugged into the speakers to play MP3s. (Sorry, a bit off topic here.)

icetug

Medalist
Re anthem: I don't know exactly what happened either, but my best guess is that it was the sound system in the arena that gave out.
It was also a problem with music for one of the skaters (Luke Digby, IIRC) who had to start his performance twice. Hope Stephen hears the anthem soon :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes.

Piper was enthusiastically Instagraming the buildup.

:hap85:

Re anthem: I don't know exactly what happened either, but my best guess is that it was the sound system in the arena that gave out. In the morning that day they already couldn't play that melody that's supposed to be played before introducing the officials and stuff (what's that even called?). They ended up playing it from a laptop and holding a microphone to it, lol. Then later that day the whole system went down again for the warm-up of group 3 of men IIRC. So I guess they had trouble with the CD player/whatever was plugged into the speakers to play MP3s. (Sorry, a bit off topic here.)

It was also a problem with music for one of the skaters (Luke Digby, IIRC) who had to start his performance twice. ...

Sorry to hear about the audio issues at other times ... with the fanfare … and worst of all, with program music. :(

I watched only bits and pieces of Bratislava, and had known only about the anthem problem at the men's medal ceremony.

... Hope Stephen hears the anthem soon :)

;)

TGee

Record Breaker
I appreciate the assurance that there wasn't an intended insinuation, but I must admit that I was taken aback myself when I read the post...

Starting out with a citation of ISU rules on federation's responsibilities as a rebuttal to concerns about the organization of the event sincerely made me ask what was the point.

But the the end of the post outlined the other sound problems over the course of the event.

Which as I would read it would be the responsibility of the organizers. I can't know if excessive economizing was the issue, but TDF is infamous for more than that.

So, let's say that in the enthusiasm to clearly outline roles and responsibilities, the message about what actually happened did not come across as was likely intended.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I appreciate the assurance that there wasn't an intended insinuation, but I must admit that I was taken aback myself when I read the post...

Starting out with a citation of ISU rules on federation's responsibilities as a rebuttal to concerns about the organization of the event sincerely made me ask what was the point.

But the the end of the post outlined the other sound problems over the course of the event.

Which as I would read it would be the responsibility of the organizers. I can't know if excessive economizing was the issue, but TDF is infamous for more than that.

So, let's say that in the enthusiasm to clearly outline roles and responsibilities, the message about what actually happened did not come across as was likely intended.

I totally agree... I read it the same and it is because of what I highlighted from your posts.... starting with quotes, citations, rulebooks... can give a harsh tone to a post, even if the author has good intentions.

Mdk0144

On the Ice

Idk exactly, but kyu’s mother said that she’s finding someone who will skate for Korea.

No news from Alex yet.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Idk exactly, but kyu’s mother said that she’s finding someone who will skate for Korea.

No news from Alex yet.

Thx for the reply and information. I will stay tuned to the Korean skating thread for any updates. :popcorn:

$ounds to me like the organizer$ of TdeF may have been involved. Thank$ Brati$lava, for giving $tephen hi$ moment! A dollar $aved i$ a dollar earned. :rolleye:

I had been taken aback (1) by the usage of eight dollar signs in Osmond4gold's post and (2) by its outright reference to, "A dollar $aved i$ a dollar earned" -- both of which had a "harsh tone" (accentuated by the eye-rolling emoji) and sincerely gave me the impression that the notion of excessive economizing by Bratislava was Osmond4gold's sole concern regarding the cause of the unfortunate anthem glitch.

My response in turn addressed the question of whether money would have been an issue in the unfortunate anthem glitch.

If(?) Osmond4gold's post (which I again have quoted in entirety) was supposed to encompass other matters for which TDF is infamous, then Osmond4gold's message did not come across as intended.