29th Winter Universiade | Page 24 | Golden Skate

29th Winter Universiade

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Continued...just watching the dance competition. Love the commentary. Don't know who this is, but she's positive about the skating all around. No silly gossip, just noting the elements (which is helpful).

I'm pretty sure you're speaking of PJ Kwong :). She has commentated on CBC for many years and was also the PA announcer at 8 Olympics.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
What a great wek for Italian Men. Rizzo winning the Universiade and Grassl bronze at the Junior Worlds. Sweetice and elektra blue must be infinitely happy and proud. Congratulations!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I feel rather stupid, but am I missing something? Why are there no Americans or Canadians? Is there some political issue at play I don't know of or something? I mean, all European countries are there, as are quite a few Asian countries (and even South American and Arabian countries). So are the Aussies. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can someone tell me?

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I am also happy with ice dance podium although I secretely wished for a medal for the Finnish couple. And I didn't suspect Popova/Mozgov would be ahead of Evdokimova/Bazin. Bronze medal for a brand new French couple is also something big. Anjelika Krylova's both couples will go home with medals. Big congratulations!!!

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I'm pretty sure you're speaking of PJ Kwong :). She has commentated on CBC for many years and was also the PA announcer at 8 Olympics.
PJ Kwong is a woman? I would sacrifice my right hand claiming it's a man [emoji15] And I can't even say why. I got familiar with this name here in GS forum and assumed these initials could only belong to a man. I could not be more wrong. One never stops discovering new things... But yes, I found the commentator's work very calm, respectful and focused on the skating. I liked it a lot as it reminds me the style of our favourite JGP series commentator.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, long live Ted! The only difference is that she does speak during the programmes, but it's not distracting at all. A good job anyway by PJ Kwong. Enjoy this kind of commentary.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
In addition to her commentary, I associate PJ's voice with announcing the introductions and scores of many of the winning skates at past Olympics. I'm sure you have seen this many times ladyjane but here's her announcing Aljona and Bruno's winning FS score at Pyeongchang :): https://youtu.be/6bNOnXTe4Ok?t=541

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
In addition to her commentary, I associate PJ's voice with announcing the introductions and scores of many of the winning skates at past Olympics. I'm sure you have seen this many times ladyjane but here's her announcing Aljona and Bruno's winning FS score at Pyeongchang :): https://youtu.be/6bNOnXTe4Ok?t=541

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Thanks for that. Yes, I've seen it many times but it never gets old. Thank you!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
PJ Kwong is a woman? I would sacrifice my right hand claiming it's a man [emoji15] And I can't even say why. I got familiar with this name here in GS forum and assumed these initials could only belong to a man. I could not be more wrong. One never stops discovering new things... But yes, I found the commentator's work very calm, respectful and focused on the skating. I liked it a lot as it reminds me the style of our favourite JGP series commentator.

Ha ha I used to think the same thing but then I realised I was mixing her name up with that of Jackie Wong - aka "Rocker Skating".

Also for some reason I thought PJ Kwong was really young...the commentator sounds very mature like Tracey Wilson- or whoever it is who commentates for Canada sometimes, but yes she's very knowledgable and respectful! Like with Ted I feel like I've learned a lot listening to her :) Good times.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think i saw Eddie the Eagle skate in the ladies. How do you score under 2 pts technically as a senior? It sounds like the skater couldn't even do the minimums ie a double axel and such. I why someone senda skater to this competitionwith all the costs. I am all for developing skaters but this may be going too far. Thank goodness she didnt fall or she might have been negative.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Synchronised skating is on now, only 4 teams, but one of the Russian teams - the Dream Team has men in it! Which I think is pretty cool. :)

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think i saw Eddie the Eagle skate in the ladies. How do you score under 2 pts technically as a senior? It sounds like the skater couldn't even do the minimums ie a double axel and such. I why someone senda skater to this competitionwith all the costs. I am all for developing skaters but this may be going too far. Thank goodness she didnt fall or she might have been negative.

I'm not sure how...she didn't fall as you said. But anyway, it's important to note she's from Brazil and trains there (I didn't know they had an ice rink!)

I think it's great she was willing to come and give it her best :) You have to start somewhere.

(I feel like Eddie doesn't get enough respect, I mean he did learn to ski jump and not die, he's a better sports man than me :laugh:)

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Too late for me to watch live, but wishing good luck to all the ladies! Results should be interesting since the scores of the top group are pretty close. (My personal favorites are Mai and Stanislava, I love them both and honestly wish they could tie for first :biggrin:)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Synchronised skating is on now, only 4 teams, but one of the Russian teams - the Dream Team has men in it! Which I think is pretty cool. :)

Drat! I forgot about the Synchro Free. :mad:

That said, I wouldn't have been up for it anyway. But I could have at least put up a reminder post before I went to bed.

Here is the link for the archived FISU livestream on the Livestream.com website:
https://livestream.com/FISU/FigureSkating-SynchroFreeSkate-WU2019

Here is the link for the archived World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/figure-skating-universiade/29b349d2-53d1-432a-8111-569e779f1470

Here is the Time Schedule of the Synchro FS:
XXXX

And here is the Live Scoring:
https://fsrussia.ru/results/1819/universiada2019/segment_10.html

Hope this helps.

Why can I not find the pages for the FISU livestream and the Time Schedule?! There are no links on the main pages of the respective websites, and whenever I attempt to piece together what the address should be, all I am getting are 403 error messages! :drama: :mad:

EDIT (05:55 GMT): FISU Livestream link now added. It must just take a while after broadcast to get processed and added to the archives.​

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, now for what I was going to post! ;):biggrin:

I'm not going to be able to watch the Ladies Free. Partly because I haven't seen the last 2 groups of the Short yet, and partly because I have things to catch up on from last Saturday that expire from the Eurosport Player today.

Ladies Free about to start (Eurosport Player stream still on Blue Screen, but Livestream.com stream is on air)

Here is the link for the FISU livestream on the Livestream.com website:
https://livestream.com/FISU/FigureSkating-LadiesFreeSkate-WU2019

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/figure-skating-universiade/9be808cd-157b-4b43-b48d-05412847525b

Here is the Time Schedule of the Ladies FS:
https://fsrussia.ru/results/1819/universiada2019/Ladies_FS_TimeSchedule.pdf

And here is the Live Scoring:
https://fsrussia.ru/results/1819/universiada2019/segment_4.html

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm not sure how...she didn't fall as you said. But anyway, it's important to note she's from Brazil and trains there (I didn't know they had an ice rink!)

I think it's great she was willing to come and give it her best :) You have to start somewhere.

(I feel like Eddie doesn't get enough respect, I mean he did learn to ski jump and not die, he's a better sports man than me :laugh:)

I'm actually going to be watching a couple of competitions from the Ski Jumping World Championships now! The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Round of the Men's Normal Hill competition from last Friday, followed by the whole of the Mixed Team Normal Hill competition from last Saturday.

I too think Eddie gets too much flack. He taught himself to do something that is highly skilled with little and then no support from the British Fed. Sure, he finished last in Calgary, but he got to compete at the highest level. Many others don't. And sorry for dredging up this old cliché, but it is true: it's not the winning, it's the taking part.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think i saw Eddie the Eagle skate in the ladies. How do you score under 2 pts technically as a senior? It sounds like the skater couldn't even do the minimums ie a double axel and such. I why someone senda skater to this competitionwith all the costs. I am all for developing skaters but this may be going too far.

Have to disagree. These skaters have to get competition experience in order to improve. If you are from a country where figure skating is an unknown sport, and you are just skating by yourself all the time, how are you supposed to know where you are at? You need to be able to have somebody to gauge yourself against. And if there is nobody in your own country, the best way of doing this is to do international competitions.

Sure, you may be finishing last all the time. But you are learning at the same time. And that is more valuable than any position in the results.

Thank goodness she didnt fall or she might have been negative.

Not in relation to any particular skater or score, but I was actually wondering the other day if it was theoretically possible under the judging system to get a minus score.

Does anybody know?

CaroLiza_fan

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Five of her seven elements were invalidated, including her step sequence I think, so she ended up getting 0 base value for each and no GOE. She still did more than I could handle on the ice in a month of Sundays, including getting up after that painful fall on the camel spin. (Of course, I'm a lot older than she is and much less likely to bounce back...)

Mad props to her, sez I. She may not have got many points, but she fought for them with everything she had.

In other news, I see Team Marigold Ice Unity is taking no prisoners with their odd but spectacular Transformers free skate. Gotta love them for innovating!

kalee

On the Ice
Watching the ladies' FS live... great for Gerli Linnamae, looks like she just had the best skate of her season! I was impressed as she hasn't been on my radar at all before.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I feel rather stupid, but am I missing something? Why are there no Americans or Canadians? Is there some political issue at play I don't know of or something? I mean, all European countries are there, as are quite a few Asian countries (and even South American and Arabian countries). So are the Aussies. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can someone tell me?

I have the same question. I have always found this puzzling. There are, of course, many U.S. and Canadian skaters who are studying at the university level while competing at a high level. If anyone can shed any light on their absence, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)