29th Winter Universiade | Page 27 | Golden Skate

29th Winter Universiade

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Such a big gap between the podium winners and the rest of the field. It is well deserved, though. The free program scores look correct to me. I liked Lizbet's skating better than Mai's especially the jumps. The judging was very adequate today and yesterday.

Stasya and Mai skated to their potential. Glad that Stasya broke 200 internationally. Will it count for SB to get GP spots?

The only untapped yet potential stays with Elizabeth. The fall on 3Lz is -5 points, the fall on 4S is -7 points. Add a couple of pcs points for clean performances and we are talking about 220+ total score which is worlds podium contention. Can she do it? Eteri and Dudakov have some time to work on her consistency. The first task is a clean SP with a "planned" fall on 4S in the free program. This will get her no less than 215.

All in all, after Rika Elizabeth is the second senior skater in terms of the progress this season vs. the previous one. It will be very interesting to watch her vs. Evgeniya in Japan.

readernick

Medalist
Yess! Very pleased Mai won, but I totally disagree with Elizabet getting 147 for that skate and Mai getting only 144. W/e. Happy for Soyoun too, sad for Hina.

Yes, the PCS gap should be higher and some of the GOEs were too high for Elizabet but the placements were correct. Eteri did do a fabulous job of planning the jump content in this free skate. Elizabet can’t properly jump 3F or 3lz so Eteri backloaded 3 easier combinations. It leads to higher scores eventhough she is doing easier jumps.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So happy for Mae - good scores and fourth place! She was so disappointed in herself after Euros that it makes it extra special that she's finished her season so strongly. Keep it up into next season Mae!

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Such a big gap between the podium winners and the rest of the field. It is well deserved, though. The free program scores look correct to me. I liked Lizbet's skating better than Mai's especially the jumps. The judging was very adequate today and yesterday.

Stasya and Mai skated to their potential. Glad that Stasya broke 200 internationally. Will it count for SB to get GP spots?

The only untapped yet potential stays with Elizabeth. The fall on 3Lz is -5 points, the fall on 4S is -7 points. Add a couple of pcs points for clean performances and we are talking about 220+ total score which is worlds podium contention. Can she do it? Eteri and Dudakov have some time to work on her consistency. The first task is a clean SP with a "planned" fall on 4S in the free program. This will get her no less than 215.

All in all, after Rika Elizabeth is the second senior skater in terms of the progress this season vs. the previous one. It will be very interesting to watch her vs. Evgeniya in Japan.

Elizabet: If this time SP was clean she would be 1st even with fall on 4S. But her main aim is next Oly, a lot of time to prepare.

SXTN

Final Flight
Hate Eteri as much as you want but that woman knows how to maximise points. The Lil' Bet strategy is just genius.

I don't know what Brian Orser must think watching this...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, having watched the ladies FS just now, I'm rather pleased with the outcome. Nice for Stanislava to be on the podium here (and she deserved it), while I also enjoyed watching Mae skate. She really looks very powerful, and I like that. Lil'Bet and Mai both were in a different league altogether, although I personally like Mai's style of skating more. All-in-all very enjoyable, just like the men's event.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Hate Eteri as much as you want but that woman knows how to maximise points. The Lil' Bet strategy is just genius.

Eteri's method only works with girls with very small bodies. Orser's method seems to work better theoretically at least with women with mature bodies, but most girls have had difficulties trying to control the speed including Gabby and Elene.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Eteri's method only works with girls with very small bodies. Orser's method seems to work better theoretically at least with women with mature bodies, but most girls have had difficulties trying to control the speed including Gabby and Elene.

This is just wrong. Tsurskaya for a while beat everyone in juniors. But even this is not important. Eteri is a coach of Moris who is definitely not a girl with a very small body. Yet, he got some podiums already and may be in top-10 in the worlds.

The point is that Eteri coaches the best. And it's not her problem that more often than not those best are not big girls. Yes, and luckily there is no forced quota on the number of the girls with not "very small bodies" that a coach must train.

We shall see what Orser with his method can achieve quite soon.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Forgot to do a reminder for the Gala before I went out this morning. :drama: They are currently on the Finale, but I'll post the links anyway so that they are here for when the coverage gets archived.

Here is the link for the archived FISU livestream on the Livestream.com website:
https://livestream.com/FISU/FigureSkating-Exhibition-WinterUniversiade2019

Here is the link for the archived World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/figure-skating-universiade/8913af5e-477f-48cf-a749-f8a03905b09a

Here is the Time Schedule of the Gala:
XXXX

Hope this helps.

Sorry :eek:: :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

mikeko666

Final Flight
This is just wrong. Tsurskaya for a while beat everyone in juniors. But even this is not important. Eteri is a coach of Moris who is definitely not a girl with a very small body. Yet, he got some podiums already and may be in top-10 in the worlds.

The point is that Eteri coaches the best. And it's not her problem that more often than not those best are not big girls. Yes, and luckily there is no forced quota on the number of the girls with not "very small bodies" that a coach must train.

We shall see what Orser with his method can achieve quite soon.

I was only talking about female skaters and I don't see your point of comparing a male skater to them. Eteri's method on him can not be used on senior ladies either because they don't have powerful muscles of a man. Eteri herself has mentioned a particular age, 18 yr, and Julia and Evgenia needed to leave as they grew older. Many of her current young pupils will too.

melgirl25

Medalist

Nothing. You think he is watching? He is training 5 students for Worlds at the moment.

It definitely is a smart layout though.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I was only talking about female skaters and I don't see your point of comparing a male skater to them. Eteri's method on him can not be used on senior ladies either because they don't have powerful muscles of a man. Eteri herself has mentioned a particular age, 18 yr, and Julia and Evgenia needed to leave as they grew older. Many of her current young pupils will too.
So, Eteri has a method for girls with very small bodies. She has another method for almost 6 foot tall Moris. She just does not know how to teach girls past 18? This is news to me. But what I know is that Yulia and Zhenya did not have to leave. Their cases are different. A

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I thought that Tursynbaeva was a 19yo skater (so past 18) who can fully rotate a quad and is trained by Tutberidze.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Brian's strategy was weird and while they made her a better skater artistically, Elizabet was regressing on jumps and spins which are the meat to get the scores.

Also worth noting that she didn't get used to the whole "do it by yourself", she needed a coach with her which sometimes was a problem also because of visa. It was a tough collaboration for a series of reasons and i'm worried it could end up the same with Evgenia.

Eteri's team saw her every year, and her mom said they discussed this return to Sambo70 for a while even before the Olympics, and more importantly, she learnt most of her triples there, they already had more than an idea on what to fix. Now she looks a top competitive skater, and definitely a medal contender at Worlds.

I thought that Tursynbaeva was a 19yo skater (so past 18) who can fully rotate a quad and is trained by Tutberidze.

Yeah but she kept her thin body, that helped.

Just throwing it out there, but i think that could do wonders with asian skaters.