29th Winter Universiade | Page 25 | Golden Skate

29th Winter Universiade

readernick

Medalist
I have the same question. I have always found this puzzling. There are, of course, many U.S. and Canadian skaters who are studying at the university level while competing at a high level. If anyone can shed any light on their absence, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Don’t have an answer but I agree it is puzzling. This would be a great event to send someone like Megan Wessenberg or Star Andrews to... they could both score well in this field and it would be good competition experience.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Don’t have an answer but I agree it is puzzling. This would be a great event to send someone like Megan Wessenberg or Star Andrews to... they could both score well in this field and it would be good competition experience.

Andrews is still a schoolgirl, isn't she? IE not eligible.

kalee

On the Ice
Yes, So Youn seems to be coming back to her old form and it is very heartening to see :)
Would love to see this score above 120 points...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I feel rather stupid, but am I missing something? Why are there no Americans or Canadians? Is there some political issue at play I don't know of or something? I mean, all European countries are there, as are quite a few Asian countries (and even South American and Arabian countries). So are the Aussies. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can someone tell me?

I have the same question. I have always found this puzzling. There are, of course, many U.S. and Canadian skaters who are studying at the university level while competing at a high level. If anyone can shed any light on their absence, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Simple. The North American Feds are only really interested in the Olympics and the Junior / Senior World Championships. They don't really care about any of the other Majors.

In most European countries, the National Championships are generally used to select who goes to the European Championships. And then the selections for Worlds / Olympics are made after Europeans, so as to get a better picture of who is currently on the best form.

In North America, the National Championships are used to select who goes to Worlds / Olympics. And their equivalent of Europeans, Four Continents, is used as a consolation prize for those who did not get selected for Worlds / Olympics.

Although the North American Feds don't see Four Continents as being very important, the rest of the World does. And it is the same for the other Majors, such as the Universiade, the Asian Games, etc.

Somewhat perversely, the North American Feds don't seem to care about the Junior equivalent of the Olympics, the Youth Olympics, either. At the first edition in 2012, the Canadians didn't send anybody, and the only recognisable names for the Americans were the Parsons siblings. There was a better representation at the second edition in 2016, but even then there was no Canadian Ladies skater and the American Ladies skater I hadn't seen either before or since.

So, I think with the YOG, it was just a case of the North American Feds being cautious about a new competition. And they are starting to take more notice of it as time goes on.

Getting back to talking about the Majors collectively, it's just the general mindset in America. The biggest competition of the year is all that matters.

I have to say, I am surprised that the Canadians seem to be taking this attitude as well. But, I suspect it is more the case that they are just using the tactic "do the same as your closest opposition", so that they know they are not going to be at a disadvantage to them.

The problem with this tactic is that the opposition across the Altlantic and across the Pacific have better tactics! They send top skaters to all the Majors. And it reaps rewards.

CaroLiza_fan

lady_bee

Medalist
I am kind of relieved that P.J. is mentioning Camila's sister, Anne, today:biggrin:

The twins are so cute together:love:

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I do find it sad when good skaters are obliged to end their season early because there are only so many Worlds spots to go around. I definitely wish Canada and the US sent their developing rosters/B-teams to these kinds of events, because it's great experience and a good way to pick up new fans. Almost 4000 people are watching the Youtube livestream at the moment - that's something! Not to mention the countless competitions in Europe, and Japan also seems to have a lot of domestic competitions their skaters go to regularly. I don't think (?) that infrastructure really exists in North America... one thing I'd love to do if I had money is to create a North American spring competition so it would be easier for NA/Asian skaters to take part in an international comp not so far from home, plus drum up local interest... anyway, I have to make my trillions first lol.

readernick

Medalist
Simple. The North American Feds are only really interested in the Olympics and the Junior / Senior World Championships. They don't really care about any of the other Majors.

In most European countries, the National Championships are generally used to select who goes to the European Championships. And then the selections for Worlds / Olympics are made after Europeans, so as to get a better picture of who is currently on the best form.

In North America, the National Championships are used to select who goes to Worlds / Olympics. And their equivalent of Europeans, Four Continents, is used as a consolation prize for those who did not get selected for Worlds / Olympics.

Although the North American Feds don't see Four Continents as being very important, the rest of the World does. And it is the same for the other Majors, such as the Universiade, the Asian Games, etc.

Somewhat peversely, the North American Feds don't seem to care about the Junior equivalent of the Olympics, the Youth Olympics, either. At the first edition in 2012, the Canadians didn't send anybody, and the only recognisable names for the Americans were the Parsons siblings. There was a better representation at the second edition in 2016, but even then there was no Canadian Ladies skater and the American Ladies skater I hadn't seen either before or since.

So, I think with the YOG, it was just a case of the North American Feds being cautious about a new competition. And they are starting to take more notice of it as time goes on.

Getting back to talking about the Majors collectively, it's just the general mindset in America. The biggest competition of the year is all that matters. I have to say, I am surprised that the Canadians seem to be taking this attitude as well. But, I suspect it is more the case that they are just using the tactic "do the same as your closest opposition", so that they know they are not going to be at a disadvantage to them.

The problem with this tactic is that the opposition across the Altlantic and across the Pacific have better tactics! They send top skaters to all the Majors. And it reaps rewards.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks for the answer. I actually disagree a little about 4CC. I think it used to be viewed as a unimportant but I think NA feds sees it as important now in non-Olympic years. Sometimes single skaters can’t attend due to scheduling problems but the top pairs and ice dance teams definitely view it seriously.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think she is 17 which I thought was age eligible but you are right she may not be in University yet.

If she's not enrolled at a university, then no, she's not eligible to enter this competition even if she's within the specified age range. That's why it's called the Universiade, after all! :)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am kind of relieved that P.J. is mentioning Camila's sister, Anne, today:biggrin:

The twins are so cute together:love:

PJ mentioned Anne Line yesterday as well. She just didn't recognise her when she was on camera. :slink:

The twins are so cute full stop! :love:

By the way, have you seen any of their videos together? There are links in the first post of their Fan Fest.

I particularly recommend "Twin Game - Who is the most?" and "Do twins think alike?"

EDIT: I accidentally pasted in the link for the second video twice. But, it's now been fixed. Sorry about that.​

Enjoy!

CaroLiza_fan

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There really should be a rule that nobody else is allowed to use the music mandated for the ice dancers' RD in any given season. I wince when I hear tangos at this point. Or even anything that vaguely sounds like a tango. That was a good skate for Angelina though.

readernick

Medalist
If she's not enrolled at a university, then no, she's not eligible to enter this competition even if she's within the specified age range. That's why it's called the Universiade, after all! :)

Haha! Indeed. I thought she was a bit older so I assumed she was a University student. But, she just turned 17. Would be a good event for her next year 😜

readernick

Medalist
There really should be a rule that nobody else is allowed to use the music mandated for the ice dancers' RD in any given season. I wince when I hear tangos at this point. Or even anything that vaguely sounds like a tango. That was a good skate for Angelina though.

Honestly, the tango should be banned for at least 3 years. I can’t handle anymore..... choreographers need to be more creative

kalee

On the Ice
Masha... such nice skating but it is a pity that the jump content was not there...

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Haha! Indeed. I thought she was a bit older so I assumed she was a University student. But, she just turned 17. Would be a good event for her next year ��

The Universiade is a biennial event. Next one is 2021.

You can tell from the amount of posting I am doing at the moment that I've broken away from the Ski Jumping I am watching to have my breakfast! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Masha... such nice skating but it is a pity that the jump content was not there...

Well, but this time she did not mess the second half of the program, even with mistakes this was pleasant to watch.:agree: