2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 141 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

frida80

Record Breaker
Emily thought about representing China during the summer, went there to compete, and decided against the notion. However, the US Federation is still unhappy and has not assigned her to an international event yet. Mariah will probably be sent to Golden Spin because she needs the extra Challenger points for ranking. I think Challenge Cup or some other Senior B will suffice for Zhang.

A score of 197 should make them cave finally. Her regional score was already been higher than most of the skaters that competed on the JGP. However, China is determined to field a super competitive Olympic team. They make come begging again.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily thought about representing China during the summer, went there to compete, and decided against the notion. However, the US Federation is still unhappy and has not assigned her to an international event yet. Mariah will probably be sent to Golden Spin because she needs the extra Challenger points for ranking. I think Challenge Cup or some other Senior B will suffice for Zhang.

Do you have a link or a quote for the fact that the US Fed did not assign Zhang to an international because they were "still unhappy"? Thanks.

natsulian

Final Flight
Do you have a link or a quote for the fact that the US Fed did not assign Zhang to an international because they were "still unhappy"? Thanks.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I got this from a friend of hers. I will refrain from posting things I've heard. For a more logical, less rumor based account, Zhang skated poorly during the summer so that could be one of the reasons.

macy

Record Breaker
I cant even put into words how happy I am for Gracie. Her hard work is paying off. I cant imagine how difficult the road to now has been for her...what a true queen. I hope her motivation only grows from here and I'm excited to see how her future unfolds.

Also PSA- stay away from TSL's instagram stories. Absolutely disrespectful, inappropriate and disgusting comments during Gracies and Polinas performances.

frida80

Record Breaker
Sorry, I should have clarified that I got this from a friend of hers. I will refrain from posting things I've heard. For a more logical, less rumor based account, Zhang skated poorly during the summer so that could be one of the reasons.

Thank you for not revealing personal conversations. She’s still a child and privacy is so precious.

It it should be obvious that hat USFS would be very upset that she suddenly decided to skate for China and very reluctant to put her on the ISP. USFS has lost a lot of talented skaters in the last few years. Think about it, would you be thrilled to take back someone that broke up with you to see other people and came back after they themselves were rejected?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thank you for not revealing personal conversations. She’s still a child and privacy is so precious.

It it should be obvious that hat USFS would be very upset that she suddenly decided to skate for China and very reluctant to put her on the ISP. USFS has lost a lot of talented skaters in the last few years. Think about it, would you be thrilled to take back someone that broke up with you to see other people and came back after they themselves were rejected?

I will channel el henry and ask frida: If you are trying to imply that Emily Z was rejected by China, do you have a public source that is the basis for that?

Congratulations to Emily, Sarah, Gracie, and Rena. :)

Sorry that Julia and Audrey will not be going to Nationals. :(

tinlizzie

Final Flight
I cant even put into words how happy I am for Gracie. Her hard work is paying off. I cant imagine how difficult the road to now has been for her...what a true queen. I hope her motivation only grows from here and I'm excited to see how her future unfolds.

Also PSA- stay away from TSL's instagram stories. Absolutely disrespectful, inappropriate and disgusting comments during Gracies and Polinas performances.

I didn’t see anything disrespectful comments regarding Gracie or Polina on TSL Instagram but maybe I don’t know where to look?

macy

Record Breaker
I didn’t see anything disrespectful comments regarding Gracie or Polina on TSL Instagram but maybe I don’t know where to look?

They did live commentary on their story. Lots of nasty and sarcastic comments about costumes and looking tired and out of shape. Honestly just really disrespectful. The hate they constantly spew towards Gracie/Vincent and Eteri and her skaters is really just Regina George-esque.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think she really does have time to improve since she came so far between Regionals and Sectionals.

I am so thrilled for her! What a journey. I especially loved seeing her expressiveness and musicality.

The judges were not at all lenient with her as to scoring either at regionals or sectionals. I think that made her work really hard to do well at sectionals, and I’m guessing she’ll work just as hard to do well at Nats!

tothepointe

On the Ice
Huh it’s kinda strange to me that a skater with two gp medals is behind one that only has one. I mean I know silver is worth more then bronze but I would think two 3rds would be worth more then 2+4. Well at any rate both of them can be extremely proud of the skates they put out on the Grand Prix At this point top USA ladies are neck and neck with the Japanese and in fact I would give them the slight edge, with only Rika coming out on top. Kaori has a lot more she can give, but if she can all pull it together remains to be seen. Bradie and Mariah both have shown they can put it all together and not fall apart when little mistakes start to creep in, and nether struggle with urs the way satoko does. I’m still expecting a Russian worlds sweep because isu gonna isu but spots 4-10 is gonna be very interesting. I know we aren’t even half way through the season yet, but at this point I would cautiously say that maybe three spots back isn’t out of reach

I think Russia will send to World's two of it's top girls but then also send either Zagitova or Medvedeva because of politics. So that actually gives a US lady a chance to slide in.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Unfortunately Polina place 5th and did not make it to nationals, well even the 4th didnt meet the TES requirement so i guess only 3 make it from Pacific Coast Sectionals

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Unfortunately Polina place 5th and did not make it to nationals, well even the 4th didnt meet the TES requirement so i guess only 3 make it from Pacific Coast Sectionals

Actually … top four Senior Ladies from Pacific Coast all *will* advance to Nats.

Alex Evans, who placed fourth, already had the TES minimum before sectionals.
(From regionals, if not elsewhere.)

Congratulations to Caitlin :))!), Sierra, Milly, and Alex.

Polina had -1.00 deduction that was a time violation, and she was behind Alex by less than a point.
(But I don't know whether Polina had the TES minimum before sectionals anyway? She did not get the TES minimum at sectionals.
Polina also had deductions for falls.)

I'm crushed :sad4: that Akari Nakahara (in sixth place) will not advance. :ghug:
Wishing her the best for next season.

Was Alena Budko unable to compete at Pacific Coast sectionals?
She won Junior Ladies at Northwest Pacific regionals.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I never go near TSL. I hope Gracie stays off of social media. I don’t know what it is that makes some nasty people hate her so.

princessalica

Final Flight
I never go near TSL. I hope Gracie stays off of social media. I don’t know what it is that makes some nasty people hate her so.

I listened to their commentary and it wasn’t as bad as I feared. I actually think Dave wants Gracie to succeed, he just doesn’t seem to know how to follow the if you can’t something nice don’t say anything rule. But I think he was on the edge of his seat and kept saying come on Gracie! So he’s a mean girl and the fashion police, but he was being his own version of supportive.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I listened to their commentary and it wasn’t as bad as I feared. I actually think Dave wants Gracie to succeed, he just doesn’t seem to know how to follow the if you can’t something nice don’t say anything rule. But I think he was on the edge of his seat and kept saying come on Gracie! So he’s a mean girl and the fashion police, but he was being his own version of supportive.

I also have felt he’s been rooting for Gracie, he’s talked about her comeback positively in the past he just tends to have no filter with his comments.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I also have felt he’s been rooting for Gracie, he’s talked about her comeback positively in the past he just tends to have no filter with his comments.

I don’t like TSL. I don’t find them funny or insightful but I would agree that I think Dave is cheering for Gracie. He just does so with the tact of someone who never learned that you don’t have to say out loud every thought that comes through your head.

Irregardless I’m so proud of Gracie. I think she’ll take the positives from this weekend and keep working. She made a huge improvement in a month- she has longer before nationals.

frida80

Record Breaker
I will channel el henry and ask frida: If you are trying to imply that Emily Z was rejected by China, do you have a public source that is the basis for that?

Congratulations to Emily, Sarah, Gracie, and Rena. :)

Sorry that Julia and Audrey will not be going to Nationals. :(

Chinese fans have mentioned that she was not selected. However, I do not have an article and am very uncomfortable sharing anyone’s social media online. As I’ve said before, privacy is very important.

I think through deductive reasoning you can see why she wouldn’t be selected. She doesn’t have a national title like Beverly. Ashley already has international experience and a good score. Emily places sixth in the summer competition in China. There’s also skaters like Christi Yi that have had good results. As for Emily, there was no harm in sticking with China since they would pay fornher training while USFS would not.

I think whether she was rejected or whether she changed her mind is irrelevant. The real issue is that she decided to skate for China at all. It’s a very big deal right now. Alexia showed all US ladies the benefits of going to a Fed with less competitive skaters. She’s gone to Worlds, Europeans, the GP and the Olympics. She’s gotten good results and nabbed a small Euro medal. She doesn’t have to deal with US politics anymore. It’s an attractive offer for a lot of skaters and especially parents that have pour thousands of dollars each year into training with no guaranteed payoff.

USFS can’t afford to pay for skaters, there just isn’t that much money. They give them opportunity to earn it by getting results and attracting sponsors and endorsements. So what happens if Emily starts gets consistently better? Will China return and sweeten the pot? Do they risk the meager funds they have for a skater that may leave them again?

If I were them, I’d just bite the bullet and send her to get her junior mins. Then she won’t be able to skate for anyone else for one full year. It’s better to keep someone that talented, especially when most junior ladies can even score over 165.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So the short answer to my question is No.

(ETA:
And I will take your reference to rejection with a ginormous grain of salt.)​

Congratulations to Paige Rydberg, Courtney Hicks, Alyssa Rich, and Maxine Marie Bautista, who are the top four Senior Ladies from Midwestern sectionals.
They all have achieved the TES minimum.

Meaning that the TES minimum is not preventing any Senior Ladies from any section from advancing to Nats.

The Senior Ladies field at 2020 Nats will be 22 (12 from sectionals + 10 with byes to Nats).

The Senior Ladies field at 2019 Nats was 18 (including Pooja, who withdrew after the SP).