2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 725 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
To distract y'all from tiring discussions and speculations, here's Sasha dealing with annoying filmers like a boss:
https://youtu.be/kl_PEw1GaP0

That's awesome!!
That person was very rude, almost shoving his camera in her face. Why do people think it is okay to do that?
I hope she taught him a lesson

"Give it back I need to film the others"

Not by shoving it in their faces you $%#@ing don't

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
That is what is so depressing about this whole discussion. The job of the judges is to judge, not to send messages. The job of National Federations and the ISU is to administer national and international skating programs, not to engage in threats, retaliation and one-upmanship.

:yes: :rock: When they go low, we go high! :)

Do you want to rob them all them favorite "political" toys? I think they will not agree.

ruga

Final Flight
That's awesome!!
That person was very rude, almost shoving his camera in her face. Why do people think it is okay to do that?
I hope she taught him a lesson

"Give it back I need to film the others"

Not by shoving it in their faces you $%#@ing don't

I heard that this person is a representative from First Channel (which makes it even more awesome because it means that Sasha can deal with journalists from national television perfectly well)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
At the risk of being "that" person. What would be the benefit of not calling Anna's lutz edge (if it isn't good- I can't tell and don't want to argue about it) and her winning or getting the world birth and then having her called at Europeans and Worlds and risking it. I'm not saying call it even if it is fine but if it is a problem (again if it is a problem) then they should call it because then a) she won't be as encouraged to fix it and b) you risk sending someone is might not place as well as a person you left off who would not get those calls.

I'll put it this way so it isn't about Anna's lutz edge:
Say you had a skater who borderline UR her jumps. You don't call her UR at nationals and she goes to worlds where they do call it and your country either loses a medal or 3 spots or a chance for a podium sweep. In most countries this wouldn't be an issue because whoever is 4th or 5 is probably not capable of winning a medal but in Russian whoever is 4th or 5th could be World Champion.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
At the risk of being "that" person. What would be the benefit of not calling Anna's lutz edge (if it isn't good- I can't tell and don't want to argue about it) and her winning or getting the world birth and then having her called at Europeans and Worlds and risking it. I'm not saying call it even if it is fine but if it is a problem (again if it is a problem) then they should call it because then a) she won't be as encouraged to fix it and b) you risk sending someone is might not place as well as a person you left off who would not get those calls.

Say you had a skater who borderline UR her jumps. You don't call her UR at nationals and she goes to worlds where they do call it and your country either loses a medal or 3 spots or a chance for a podium sweep. In most countries this wouldn't be an issue because whoever is 4th or 5 is probably not capable of winning a medal but in Russian whoever is 4th or 5th could be World Champion.

It's a problem in general
It happens at US Nationals so much too, scores are often handed out that are unrealistic compared to those skaters international ones, and errors are routinely overlooked.

lusterfan

Final Flight

I think that's valid, but I think a country may not want to call technical issues in order to not admit fault. If RusFed wanted to send Anna anyway, they may not want to call the lutzes because if even RusFed calls it, Euros and Worlds will likely 100% call it. In the same vein unfortunately, home nationals in any country will want to inflate their skaters because it will subconsciously inflate them when they go to the international scene. In contrast as an example, if the US calls every one of Bradie's UR or edge issues, then her reputation is already gone at the national level - by the time she hits the international scene, she won't be scoring favorably. You don't want to show that you're not "supporting" your own skater at home. I dislike this as it discourages skaters from improving their issues, but that's how reality is.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
:laugh2: tiny boss! :cool14:

Well, Channel One have been on her tail from early morning warm ups right till the end. I am sure Aleksandra and the other contestants will be fed up with being followed all the time.
Aleksandra knows it is important not to disappoint fans who might have been waiting for hours for this one opportunity, but her patience and calm will be stretched thin by end of competition.

moriel

Record Breaker
The "political reasons" thing...
I doubt that. That would be like RusFed shooting themselves in the foot.
So far, our new senior Trio have wiped the floor with the competition.

Rusfed has a long story of political reasons (see repeatedly giving Stasya international competitions, for example).

While you may see rusfed as one big thing, it is not made of a single block, and it caters to many conflicting internal interests. So something that may look like shooting in the foot overall, may be actually benefit some group of coaches.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Rusfed has a long story of political reasons (see repeatedly giving Stasya international competitions, for example).

While you may see rusfed as one big thing, it is not made of a single block, and it caters to many conflicting internal interests. So something that may look like shooting in the foot overall, may be actually benefit some group of coaches.

No doubt about that. Notice the large number board members. There most certainly will be conservative and anti-Tutberidze factions, but what will be the value of their arguments when the Terrific Trio sweeps podium at GPF and Nationals, which is entirely possible?

Will they really sacrifice one of the Aces for Tuktamysheva or Medvyedeva because of 'politics'? Tuktamysheva's scoring potential has been shot down at all her starts, Medvyedeva scoring potential is dependent on 'reputation bonus' which might or might not be granted by the judiciary. I don't suspect Sambo-70 wanting to shoot down one of their greatest prospects over another, for 5 of the national team members are registered to this organisation.

#TeamMishin has lost due to its own 'put your head under the sand' mentallity.

lusterfan

Final Flight
I think there are very obvious internal politics and power struggles within RusFed. With the Liza/Zhenya situation last year, politics were more easily inserted because there were no stand outs - Stasya flubbing at Euros, Liza falling ill, missing Nationals and performing underwhelmingly at the Dragon Trophy (?) When Zhenya skated relatively clean at the Cup Final, it was not outright robbery to give her the spot over Liza. They were scoring so close, so the panel could go either way.

However with this year, 3A have the clear base value advantage. If they land everything, it would take a lot of outright suspicious moves to rob them of a spot (should they be the clear Top 3). Now if they make enough mistakes, favor could swing to Alina/Zhenya/Liza, but at least it will be mostly in their hands to skate their best for the spots.

One of them will really have to perform precariously and be borderline in order for individual RusFed members to be able to insert political choice.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Looks like you are the original poster? Skaters tried their best to put a good program to entertain us, and Anna's costume change gives such a wow effect to our delight. Somehow you relate it to "hiding weakness". Is there any sincerity or logic here? This has nothing to do with liking a particular skater or not. This is about some basic decency from us, the audiences. I appreciate and respect all skaters and their hard work.

I don’t know that I’m the original poster. I think many had stated that Anna’s costume change is attempt to deflect from her weaknesses. But to imply that as a personal bash to a skater is not a truthful statement. Many poster adore her and feel she has potential, however can see where she needs improvements. Posters can fight and argue and claim this is attacking a skater— but if her coaches don’t address the issues then she may find herself struggling.
As fans we want these skaters to improve and skate to their maximum. That’s what make last good competition. Nobody is bashing these girls and wanting them to fail.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

The answer is simple: there is just a handful of ladies with a proper lutz edge technique now. Liza, to a lesser extent but still quite good Rika. Who else? Even those skaters who presumably have good lutz edge in fact shift to the inside just before leaving the ice. We had heated discussions about Wakaba. I showed clear pictures of her going inside and was told that although both legs were still on ice at that moment the weight was shifted to another leg and, therefore, the wrong edge did not count. I don't have Wakaba's picture. That's the one for Mariah. Remember that her edge was qualified as good during IdF:

err.jpg

Then comes the question at what exact time one should look at the edge. If we are talking about the moment when the toe hits the ice then both Alina and Anna have outside edge. But in the next frame when their both legs are still on the ice, yes, it shifts inside at the direction of rotation. I am sure this will be impossible to correct. So all this idea: "send them the message that they should change lutz technique" will lead nowhere. That's how they jump. But, once again, if TP treats it as the wrong edge they shall do it for 90+% of skaters and not when it fits some agenda or feeds "conspiracy theorists".

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
What is so irritating, as someone who has been to a gazillion practices and competitions, is that by far the easiest way to see an edge call is BY LOOKING AT THE EDGE TRACING ON THE ICE. Maybe there could be some sort of technology added that a skater's blades create a different color for their tracings (maybe?) or just have the camera focus on the tracing on the ice? That should put the end to all the controversy. Focus on the tracing. Seems relatively simple, since the ice is resurfaced every two groups. For example, I could tell the difference between a Kwan "flutz" tracing (edge change right at the end) versus a Sarah Hughes where she never had a BOE but actually curved so much into it that it was an extremely pre-rotated FLIP (and then Sarah would DG the landing, which meant she was in the air less than two revs... eek). The perfect BOE tracing makes me applaud and it should be awarded.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Why aren't ladies allowed to perform quad jumps in the SP but men are??

Some will say it is because very few ladies are even doing them
I call BS on that because when the rules changed for 2014/15 to allow ladies to replace their 2A with a 3A in the SP, the only skater capable of taking advantage of that was Mao Asada. Liza Tuktamysheva did not land her first 3A in competition until after that rule change had been made

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don’t know that I’m the original poster. I think many had stated that Anna’s costume change is attempt to deflect from her weaknesses. But to imply that as a personal bash to a skater is not a truthful statement. Many poster adore her and feel she has potential, however can see where she needs improvements. Posters can fight and argue and claim this is attacking a skater— but if her coaches don’t address the issues then she may find herself struggling.
As fans we want these skaters to improve and skate to their maximum. That’s what make last good competition. Nobody is bashing these girls and wanting them to fail.

I don't know whether it is meant as a personal bash to a skater, I just think it is a silly statement.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Why aren't ladies allowed to perform quad jumps in the SP but men are??

Well, you should follow the language of the rules. what rules say about the jumps in SP:
Ladies
a) Double or triple Axel Paulsen;
b) Triple jump;
c) Jump combination consisting of a double jump and a triple jump or two triple jumps;

It is a "positive" enumeration, probably when it was created, nobody just thought that one day quads would become a thing. Remember that before Sasha the only ratified clean quad was Miki Ando's 4S from 2002 and even Miki Ando herself wasn't able to repeat it later (and in fact it was a pure example of an UR jump). So they probably just thought that if maybe some lady would be able to deliver a quad, one quad in free would be more than enough.