Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
another song that could make me endlessy love the (italian more likely) team who would pick it. handograpghy is mandatory

did she get to Germany, @icewhite ?

icewhite

Record Breaker
another song that could make me endlessy love the (italian more likely) team who would pick it. handograpghy is mandatory

did she get to Germany, @icewhite ?

She now has... my neighbours might wonder what's up... I looked it up and I don't think she was ever a real name in Germany. Ricchi e poveri and Al Bano and Romina Power were very popular...
But I love her costume, it's beautiful!

There are also lots of German 80s songs teams could pick up... I suppose nobody will, though :frown:
But my full admiration goes to the team that does "Hier kommt Alex" mixed with Beethoven's 9th.

And has nobody yet announced a Tina Turner tribute with We don't need another hero?...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There are also lots of German 80s songs teams could pick up... I suppose nobody will, though :frown:
But my full admiration goes to the team that does "Hier kommt Alex" mixed with Beethoven's 9th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z8o7qAIlIU
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hier_kommt_Alex

That was the first song I ever heard from Die Toten Hosen. And I instantly became a fan. I loved it!

Didn't realise it was from the 80's, though. I thought it was more recent than that. But, maybe that was because it was in the early 2000's that I first heard it.

And has nobody yet announced a Tina Turner tribute with We don't need another hero?...

Even if we didn't have the unfortunate circumstances of her death happening just before the start of a season with an 80's music theme, there would be something badly wrong if there were no Tina Turner programmes. Although Tina had a long career, she WAS the 80s!

And not a bad choice of song you are suggesting. It would work well. Here's another that I think would work well:

Tina Turner - "Private Dancer"

CaroLiza_fan

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That was the first song I ever heard from Die Toten Hosen. And I instantly became a fan. I loved it!

Didn't realise it was from the 80's, though. I thought it was more recent than that. But, maybe that was because it was in the early 2000's that I first heard it.

Even if we didn't have the unfortunate circumstances of her death happening just before the start of a season with an 80's music theme, there would be something badly wrong if there were no Tina Turner programmes. Although Tina had a long career, she WAS the 80s!

And not a bad choice of song you are suggesting. It would work well. Here's another that I think would work well:

Tina Turner - "Private Dancer"

CaroLiza_fan
No to "Private Dancer" due to the lyrics.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No to "Private Dancer" due to the lyrics.

On the one hand, yes, the lyrics are rather questionable.

But on the other hand, there are a lot of other songs with inappropriate lyrics being skated to. And the skaters and their teams don't seem to care. It is only us fans that object to them.

Perhaps an instrumental version would be a solution. But, that would totally defeat the purpose of doing a Tina Turner tribute, if she wasn't actually singing.

But, even if you ignore the issues, I do think the song that @icewhite suggested, "We Don't Need Another Hero", would be a better choice all round.

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
She now has... my neighbours might wonder what's up... I looked it up and I don't think she was ever a real name in Germany. Ricchi e poveri and Al Bano and Romina Power were very popular...
But I love her costume, it's beautiful!

this song (and costume) is iconic in italy, i was a toddler when it first went out, but it stayed very popular for years. it was very popular at children parties, alongside cartoon songs, and we all tried to do the choreo :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: and even today when the music starts my hands start moving :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: (every real italian of my generation che do the "la notte vola" hands :biggrin: )

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone suggested "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper? Or "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston? I could see these working well for the right team. I love "She Sells Sanctuary" by The Cult but not sure how it would translate to an ice dance routine....
The original demo version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Robert Hazard sounds like it has a better beat on the ice. The Cyndi Lauper version, I don't know, doesn't fit well for a competitive program for me.

Edit....the Hazard version came out in 1979....darn it...

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
this song (and costume) is iconic in italy, i was a toddler when it first went out, but it stayed very popular for years. it was very popular at children parties, alongside cartoon songs, and we all tried to do the choreo :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: and even today when the music starts my hands start moving :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: (every real italian of my generation che do the "la notte vola" hands :biggrin: )

Wow!

Just watched the video of "La Notte Vola" that you linked to on Friday, and that looks so much fun! :cheer:

Not sure it would work as an Ice Dance programme. But, it would make for a great singles programme.

Now I'm trying to work out what would be the song from that time that had the quivalent effect in the British Isles... 🤔

Getting back Die Toten Hosen and "Hier Kommt Alex".

As I said yesterday, I was puzzled when it was suggested. So, I just played the video that @icewhite linked to, and made a discovery. And everything makes sense now.

That isn't the version that I am familiar with. It was their performance on MTV Unplugged from 2005 that made me a fan:

Die Toten Hosen - "Hier Kommt Alex" (Unplugged)

Totally different to the original, isn't it?!

That said, now that I have heard the original, I love it even more! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Not sure whether the original would work as an Ice Dance programme, though. But the Unplugged version definitely would. Unfortunately, 2005 is well outside of any definition of the 80's.

Mind you, it does beg the question - do later accoustic versions or re-mixes of songs released by the same artist as they were in the 80's count? 🤔

CaroLiza_fan

icewhite

Record Breaker
Has anyone suggested "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper? Or "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston? I could see these working well for the right team. I love "She Sells Sanctuary" by The Cult but not sure how it would translate to an ice dance routine....

She Bop+I drove all night (but wasn't there such a program recently? Anyway, I really love those songs and generally Cyndi Lauper)
And "So emotional" would be my favourite from Whitney. "Love is a contact sport" is also a very suitable song for ice dance... in a way (also recently used, though?)

icewhite

Record Breaker
Wow!

Just watched the video of "La Notte Vola" that you linked to on Friday, and that looks so much fun! :cheer:

Not sure it would work as an Ice Dance programme. But, it would make for a great singles programme.

Now I'm trying to work out what would be the song from that time that had the quivalent effect in the British Isles... 🤔

Getting back Die Toten Hosen and "Hier Kommt Alex".

As I said yesterday, I was puzzled when it was suggested. So, I just played the video that @icewhite linked to, and made a discovery. And everything makes sense now.

That isn't the version that I am familiar with. It was their performance on MTV Unplugged from 2005 that made me a fan:

Die Toten Hosen - "Hier Kommt Alex" (Unplugged)

Totally different to the original, isn't it?!

That said, now that I have heard the original, I love it even more! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Not sure whether the original would work as an Ice Dance programme, though. But the Unplugged version definitely would. Unfortunately, 2005 is well outside of any definition of the 80's.

Mind you, it does beg the question - do later accoustic versions or re-mixes of songs released by the same artist as they were in the 80's count? 🤔

CaroLiza_fan

Oh that unplugged event must have been great... I borrowed the CD from a friend at that time.
The original is very much an 80s classic here :D And I think it also captures a lot of the 80s atmosphere well, too, with the reference to clockwork orange, although not so much the cheesy shoulder pads part. Well, of course it will never be used.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Just because they are doing it doesn’t mean they should be.

I am also not in favour of those programs which likely mean nothing to 14 year olds and are a lazy and inappropriate choice of "etudes" imo. But I really don't think Private Dancer has problematic lyrics if done by adults and in comparison to other very popular choices especially I think they are totally fine. Whatever, I don't decide the music of any team and I guess nobody will actually do that song, so it's a theoretical question anyway.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You Can Do Magic

America

Nice harmonies.. used to love this but it is definitely ‘80’s
What the heck! I still love it😻
(A happier “put a spell on you” kind of song):biggrin:
I see your "You Can Do Magic" and raise you "Abracadabra" by the Steve Miller Band!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I see your "You Can Do Magic" and raise you "Abracadabra" by the Steve Miller Band!
First time hearing this🤗 where have I been?😅
Same coin.. 2 sides
Beat, rhythm, instrumentals, harmonies all similar…. AND it is ‘80’s!!
Both might be ID suitable
Great share! Thanks..

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to see Tiffany & Jonathan skate to this

Tommy James and the Shondells, 1967. Who is this Tiffany person and why did she cover it? ;)

I do think the Tiffany/Tiffany connection is cute.