Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The 80's was MTV, and so each of the songs that made the MTV pop charts has a video depiction that is 1980's, one way or another.

Example:

"Lawyers in Love" by Jackson Browne

Maybe using a 1980's lawyer TV show theme as a second song

LA Law

1985 season of the Paper Chase

beachmouse

On the Ice
So then would music from Fame be iffy? The film was released in 1980, but had been shot (and presumably the music had been written) in 1979 and portrayed arts school students of the late 1970s. On the other hand, there's the theme of Bruno Martelli's synthesizer music, anathema to his music teacher, and if electronic music is supposed to be 1980s.... I know a dance couple who aren't fond of competing but who every year work up two programs with their coach, the RD in the stipulated style/theme/whatever, just as a fun exercise. They've already chosen Out Here On My Own and something else from Fame for their RD. Of course, they don't have to worry about judges and deductions:).

For the record, I'm an anglophone and I say the 1980s are 80-89. Whatever has the pertinent number in the third position, 8 in this case.

And then ‘I Sing the Body Electric’ is based on a poem from 1885 so you get into a question of the acceptability of derivative works.

For inappropriateness by a junior, I’ll take ‘Private Dancer’ and raise you Soft Cell’s ‘Sex Dwarf’

As far as theme songs, ‘In Living Color’, which debuted in Spring 1990, sadly seems to have just missed the cut and deprives the ladies of the chance to do their J-Lo impressions. (Her first big break was as a Fly Girl dancer on that show)

Weathergal

Medalist
my pick for today
1989's Tears for Fears, Sowing the Seeds of Love... Probably very hard for ice dancers... but very easy on my ears.

It's actually not as hard as you may think for ice dancers to skate to this. Mix it with Head Over Heels, and Woman in Chains, you've got a great RD or FD.

great ! let's do it :)

One of my favorites!!!
One of my favorites, too. I enjoy the whole "Seeds of Love" album, and "Sowing the Seeds of Love" and "Woman in Chains" are great. Would love someone to do a program like that. "Advice for the Young at Heart" might work as well.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
has anyone ever skated to the soundtracks of Neverending Story or Labyrinth?

Watched "Labyrinth" (1986) this afternoon, and I would definitely recommend it!

Personally, I would love to see this skated to:

David Bowie - "Magic Dance"

But, I think this might work better for Ice Dance:

David Bowie - "As The World Falls Down"

The reason that this video is so long is that the backing music starts around 3 minutes before the main part of the song! So, it wouldn't actually be as hard to edit it down to length as you think. If you don't want to watch all 6m 49s of the video, I would advise starting at 2m 52s.

That said, I would pay to see the interpretion somebody comes up with for this:

Charles Augins, Richard Bodkin, Kevin Clash, and Danny John-Jules - "Chilly Down"

Officially, this song is credited to Bowie, probably because he wrote it. But, I wanted to give credit to the people who actually sing it. And that has nothing to do with the fact that I like Danny John-Jules a lot. Honest. :p

As a side note, how cute was Jennifer Connelly when she was a teenager?! :love: (Hey, she still is!)

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Watched "Labyrinth" (1986) this afternoon, and I would definitely recommend it!

Personally, I would love to see this skated to:

David Bowie - "Magic Dance"

But, I think this might work better for Ice Dance:

David Bowie - "As The World Falls Down"

The reason that this video is so long is that the backing music starts around 3 minutes before the main part of the song! So, it wouldn't actually be as hard to edit it down to length as you think. If you don't want to watch all 6m 49s of the video, I would advise starting at 2m 52s.

That said, I would pay to see the interpretion somebody comes up with for this:

Charles Augins, Richard Bodkin, Kevin Clash, and Danny John-Jules - "Chilly Down"

Officially, this song is credited to Bowie, probably because he wrote it. But, I wanted to give credit to the people who actually sing it. And that has nothing to do with the fact that I like Danny John-Jules a lot. Honest. :p

As a side note, how cute was Jennifer Connelly when she was a teenager?! :love: (Hey, she still is!)

CaroLiza_fan
better late than never :biggrin: have you watched neverending story yet?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
better late than never :biggrin:

It's later than you think. It was last August that I taped it! :drama:

have you watched neverending story yet?

Yep, I watched it a couple of years ago, during the lockdowns. Although I don't remember the music exactly off the top of my head, I do remember that I really enjoyed it.

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
It's later than you think. It was last August that I taped it! :drama:

Yep, I watched it a couple of years ago, during the lockdowns. Although I don't remember the music exactly off the top of my head, I do remember that I really enjoyed it.

CaroLiza_fan
it's quite iconic

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More 80s music from the stations I listened to, a super group from the era.

(I understand there was a recent documentary about DeBarge? Haven't seen it. I know of the unhappy life of some of the members after the fame subsided, but dear heavens what beautiful music when it was being made)

All This Love

I Like It

I also love I Call Your Name by. their predecessor group, Switch, with Bobby and Tommy DeBarge, but that is 79. So close....

icewhite

Record Breaker
:hijacked:

A few years ago, likely on Christmas, my family decided to watch "Neverending Story" mostly because my son was like 10 or 11 then, so we thought it would be appropriate for him to watch it. My sister HATED it. She thought it was absolutely awful. They broadcasted it in two parts and she refused to watch the second part. Even days and weeks later she would bring up how much she HATED it. (She's actually usually an extremely nice person who also was a bit into fantasy in her teenage years.) She couldn't get over the "terrible animation", mostly the visible strings. It apparently destroyed the whole story for her, she was so agitated about it. 😮
She's younger than me and I think this is what happens when you grow up somewhere between Shrek and Avatar-level of animation. :rofl:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Finally! I was getting fed up waiting for somebody to fall into that trap!

I realise that everybody was expecting me to suggest "Mickey", given the number of times last season that I said that Angelina and Ilia should have used it instead of the Run-DMC song from 1987 that was based on it, "It's Tricky". However, the reason I didn't bring "Mickey" into this thread is because it is not eligible under the wording of the rules. "Mickey" is actually a gender-swap cover of a song that was released in 1979.

Here is the original:

Racey - "Kitty"

I know, it is no-where near as good as Toni Basil's cover.

Boys, but I would have loved to see an Ice Dance programme to "Mickey". But, if it's any consolation, Singles skater Zeynep FILIBELI (TUR) did a great FS programme to it last season. She even wore a cheerleader outfit reminiscent to what Toni wore in the video!

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Finally! I was getting fed up waiting for somebody to fall into that trap!

I realise that everybody was expecting me to suggest "Mickey", given the number of times last season that I said that Angelina and Ilia should have used it instead of the Run-DMC song from 1987 that was based on it, "It's Tricky". However, the reason I didn't bring "Mickey" into this thread is because it is not eligible under the wording of the rules. "Mickey" is actually a gender-swap cover of a song that was released in 1979.

Here is the original:

Racey - "Kitty"

I know, it is no-where near as good as Toni Basil's cover.

Boys, but I would have loved to see an Ice Dance programme to "Mickey". But, if it's any consolation, Singles skater Zeynep FILIBELI (TUR) did a great FS programme to it last season. She even wore a cheerleader outfit reminiscent to what Toni wore in the video!

CaroLiza_fan
i doubt any ISU judge would flag Mickey by Toni Basil (1981) for deduction... Who would even know the background of it? It has a new name, new lyrics etc... at this point it's more than just a cover.. but ... the point is moot until anyone would decide to use it right? :) i personally don't feel i have fallen into any trap :)

Last edited: