2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 245 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

atsumiri

Record Breaker
RusFed just want to be sure Alina and Masha will be 1-2 because they want to sent them and Evgenia to Oly) that's why we see these scores);)

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^I guess not.....I just didn't expect to see them finish so far down the list. Even seeing Tuk in 6th is kind of sad. This is what happens when you have the best coaches in the World in your Country. There's always another star waiting in the wings....

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Holy Cow.......What happened Leonova and Radionova?

They both had UR falls. Was sad to see them taken out. Hopefully they have a better FS. Radionova had a shot but it was an uphill battle for her anyways. A pity since she has been pretty strong and the only one to beat Medvedeva as a senior.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
The precious arm movement / Beautiful hand timeline:
2002 Gubanova
2004 Shcherbakova
2007 Samodelkina

Need more!

I also wonder how music affect the kids, just from very very beginning. What kind of music was playing when Gubanova and Shcherbakova were doing their first steps on the ice? And also how mastery skating (not skating skills which many people confusing and referring to bunch of transitions, gliding on the ice, fast skating, etc, but I mean exactly mastery of the blades, like Melkumova, Gubanova, Tarakanova have) always goes with presentation skills? I mean, you can have mastery skating without musicality and presentation. But somehow it always comes together. And on the contrary it does not work. Shcherbakova has amazing musicality and presentation level, but I can't see mastery of the blades in her skating, just decent skating skills. Also interesting what's more in mastery skating - pure talent or good coaching? With the second option the formula crumbles because of my first observation about that mastery skating always goes with musicality and presentation, I've never seen great skating skills along with poor presentation and lack of musicality, at least among Russian ladies. So, as I can see, it's just a pure talent? Two options of pure talent: have musicality and great presentation skills or mastery skating, musicality and great presentation skills. Don't know...

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I also wonder how music affect the kids, just from very very beginning. What kind of music was playing when Gubanova and Shcherbakova were doing their first steps on the ice? And also how mastery skating (not skating skills which many people confusing and referring to bunch of transitions, gliding on the ice, fast skating, etc, but I mean exactly mastery of the blades, like Melkumova, Gubanova, Tarakanova have) always goes with presentation skills? I mean, you can have mastery skating without musicality and presentation. But somehow it always comes together. And on the contrary it does not work. Shcherbakova has amazing musicality and presentation level, but I can't see mastery of the blades in her skating, just decent skating skills. Also interesting what's more in mastery skating - pure talent or good coaching? With the second option the formula crumbles because of my first observation about that mastery skating always goes with musicality and presentation, I've never seen great skating skills along with poor presentation and lack of musicality, at least among Russian ladies. So, as I can see, it's just a pure talent? Two options of pure talent: have musicality and great presentation skills or mastery skating, musicality and great presentation skills. Don't know...

In terms of musicality I guess it's talent. I know great dancer who can perform really difficult modern jazz elements and her choreo looks stunning and effortlessly done but at the parties she has problems with following the music. It's hard to tech musicality as it usually requires great hearing. It of course can be trained if you learn how to sing or play instrument but even in music schools you have selection of children and some of them just don't make it.

About good SS=great musicality I think this is more complicated. However if you can create speed effortlessly, have great edge control and you don't have to force direction change it's easier for you to show upper body movements and control them as you don't have to use your torso and hands to help control your skating. Some skaters with poor skating skills lean when accelerating or seem to use their whole body during turns. It's hard to feel music if you concentrate on not to loose balance because of shallow edges

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Scary that there are at least 4 girls at senior nationals with a realistic chance at junior worlds, and there are even more who’ll be at junior nationals next month!!!!! It’s easy to see which girls the federation isn’t crazy about at all (Samodurova, Guliakova, Panenkova) and which ones they love and favor, but still, that’s at least 8 favorite girls!😱

My predictions: Kostornaya, Trusova, and whoever gets lucky.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Watching Lena this morning really upset me... I feel for her, she was the only one who really stuck around and was in contention in these competitions through this season (even with Liza in the final group, it prob isn’t gonna happen anyways) I wish her the best, but kudos o Tsurskaya for stepping up and making things tight for the third spot with Mariah as well!!!

Lightstar

On the Ice
Scary that there are at least 4 girls at senior nationals with a realistic chance at junior worlds, and there are even more who’ll be at junior nationals next month!!!!! It’s easy to see which girls the federation isn’t crazy about at all (Samodurova, Guliakova, Panenkova) and which ones they love and favor, but still, that’s at least 8 favorite girls!😱

My predictions: Kostornaya, Trusova, and whoever gets lucky.

I think it will be either Tarakanova (completely deserved) or Konstantinova, because the federation loves her (which i really don't get!)

MalAssada

Medalist
Kostornaya and Trusova are definitely in, barring disaster. Tarakanova will probably grab the third spot, if she remains consistent. I would love to see Gubanova... maybe next year. I don't see Konstantinova at Junior Worlds, but maybe she will be able to turn senior next season. Are any top junior girls ellegible for seniors next year?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I think it is that thing - When your skating is extremely light and effortless, you dont need to focus on it at all and can concentrate on presentation more thoroughly. I think you sell Shcherbakova's skating a little short, though. She has an extreme degree of lightness and her speed control and control in general is fantastic, especially at that age. There is such precision it to me is definitely mastery in the sense you mean it.

The only one who doesn't fit that picture is Melkumova who just makes no sense no matter how many times I compare her to anyone else. It's as if it's as effortless as breathing to her, and she maintains perfect control with the most ridiculous choreo at 8 years of age. Just the opening sequence to her SP for example doesn't even make any sense with the control and interpretation she is able to pull off during it( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPAuWLejdFY from 14s to 23s) You watch Tarakanovas videos especially when she too was 8 and they are several solar systems apart, and it isn't like Tarakanova's skating skills weren't excellent for her age.

Melkumova step sequence as a 8yo lvl 3 with + goe by every judge

But outside of Melkumova I dont think there is such a fundamental gap between Shcherbakova and the others. Remember you need to think about where they were as pre-juniors, too. I am sure if Anna got a transition packed program like other Eteri juniors this season you would see it differently.

That is because that lightness and control shows best the more difficult things you need to do.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Polina T has so much talent. I wish she would change choreographers so she doesn't look like just another Evgenia. For some reason Alina isn't doing all the miming that Polina and Evgenia do.

moriel

Record Breaker
I think it will be either Tarakanova (completely deserved) or Konstantinova, because the federation loves her (which i really don't get!)

I dont think they will support konstantinova thaaaaaaaaaaaat much
Keep in mind she didnt get a second JGP this season.

Actually, i´m still wondering why didnt she turn senior this year?

hanca

Record Breaker
Kostornaya and Trusova are definitely in, barring disaster. Tarakanova will probably grab the third spot, if she remains consistent. I would love to see Gubanova... maybe next year. I don't see Konstantinova at Junior Worlds, but maybe she will be able to turn senior next season. Are any top junior girls ellegible for seniors next year?
Feditchkina, Konstantinova, Gubanova, Nugumanova, Panenkova, Tarusina, Samodurova, Guliakova

skatenewbie

Medalist
So JW spot battle is between Trusova, Kostornaya, Gubanova and Tarakanova. The only shoe in i think is Kostornaya. Trusova had proven she can make mistake especially after falling in 4S and getting < or << but she will get enoug points in SP i guess to make it up. Tarakanova have bombed before but her last few performances is flawless~ Gubanova is the most inconsistent compared to other 3, but she's getting better in her Russian cup performance and if she's clean she will get highest PCS

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Because she's the hope of St Petersburg? Bombing in Nats doesn't help her case.

I presume it's more about her coach gaining reputation...Sofia & Nastya Gubanova are also from St Petersburg, so it's not like there are no other good girls there. And probably, part of it is also accounting for taste. Why do people here like Elena so much and bash Stasya all the time?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
So JW spot battle is between Trusova, Kostornaya, Gubanova and Tarakanova. The only shoe in i think is Kostornaya. Trusova had proven she can make mistake especially after falling in 4S and getting < or << but she will get enoug points in SP i guess to make it up. Tarakanova have bombed before but her last few performances is flawless~ Gubanova is the most inconsistent compared to other 3, but she's getting better in her Russian cup performance and if she's clean she will get highest PCS
Also, Shcherbakova if she is in normal form and actually gets to participate.